Author Topic: GPS/Maptrap mount  (Read 1315 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
GPS/Maptrap mount
« on: 13 July, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
I rather miss using a routesheet and enjoying the route 'as written' by the routemeister (in good weather, anyway), so I had the genius idea of phoning up Garmin to get one of those pesky mount clips which screw onto the back of an eTrex Legend/Vista (available gratis on request). Plan is to screw it onto the back of an old perspex maptrap* so I can clip it onto the GPS bar mount, and leave the GPS in my saddle bag for when I get seriously lost (as if). An old chain ring bolt will be perfect for mounting Maptrap onto the clip. Sorted.

* A piece of plywood with bulldog clip would do just as well.

Re: GPS/Maptrap mount
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:25:58 pm »
I still ride with a maptrap with the routesheet on.  It is mounted on a spacebar on the bars.

The GPS is on the stem.

I ride to the routesheet and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing the purple line on the screen being accurate.  The GPS is a helpful backup, plus logs the route for later analysis.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
Yeah, the obvious thing is to ride to the routesheet with the GPS in computer mode, but I'd rather not clutter the bars up / use a space bar.

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:12:14 pm »
A clubmate has combined the two thus....

AlanW

• I'm a fiddler, I like to turn screws coz I can...
« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2009, 05:46:14 pm »
A clubmate has combined the two thus....

It was me...... :o

And having now used this in anger on several occasions now, I can report that it is 100% successful.   :thumbsup:

As good as the Etrex is, no way can I trust it to follow a route exactly to my requirements.  Hence the reason why I opted to keep the route card function.  Its just a case then of cross referancing the two when in doubt of the correct route.   :-[
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"