Author Topic: Garmin 600/650  (Read 1090 times)

Garmin 600/650
« on: 20 August, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with these units?

I like the fact that there is a camera built into the 650 but what is the unit like for Audax's?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Garmin 600/650
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2013, 10:36:24 pm »
Which range?  Googling it, Garmin make at least 4 different models all called '650'. 
Most of the hits are for Oregon or Montana models - they are quite similar apart from size, but personally I'd say they are both bigger than I would want on the handlebars.  The Oregon range is well-established though and generally OK - uses AAs which is good, and understands the 'industry standard' GPX files, which some other popular Garmins struggle with.  So - yeh.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »
Could be a bit annoying using the camera. As to take a photo, you have to unclip it from the handlebar mount, which can be a bit fiddly.

It would be much easier just to have a compact camera in your pocket. Even a cheap/basic one would probably give better photos than the Garmin.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2013, 06:45:32 am »
Oops. I meant to add that it was the Oregon.

I was thinking that the camera would be good because it would mark your location and as I am always "lost" I thought this was a good idea.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using it?

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »
Hi Slow Coach. I hadn't realised that there were two of us on the forum (but I don't spend much time in the Audax thread normally).

I've no idea about the Oregon 650 series, by the way. I use a Garmin GPSMap62S cos I wanted a heavier duty unit I could shove in the rucksack or hit the kids with etc.. and I can't justify a stable of more than one GPS. I would worry about clipping and unclipping a unit from the bike every time you need to take a photo, if that's what you have to do. If it's the same mount as the 62S I always like to take an extra few seconds each time I clip it in to make sure it's located properly - it's quite easy, particularly in cold weather, not to get the mount slotted in and locked down fully.

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »
Hi right back at you SlowCoach. I seem to be a bit more spaced out than you  ;D

I use an old style Etrex at the moment with a Ram mount to keep it secure so I was looking at this mount instead of the Garmin one. I find this usually the Achilles heel of the Garmins. This is what I have found to keep it on the bike, removal looks simple as well.

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-oregon-approach-g5-holder-p-1024.html

I don't know how to make the linky thing work (unless it is working)