Author Topic: I just replaced a Garmin screen!  (Read 983 times)

I just replaced a Garmin screen!
« on: 19 July, 2014, 06:27:15 pm »
I am feeling so smug about this I am boring the arse off anyone who will listen about it!

My motorbike type weather-sealed Zumo GPS started playing up recently, a problem manifesting itself as an unresponsive touch screen, which was also starting to delaminate. 

I'd pretty much resigned myself to upgrading to one of the latest units at the thick end of 400 quid, but did a desperate bit of googling to see if it was worth having a 6 year old Zumo 400 repaired.  I lurked on a few forums where people were speaking of DIY jobs, so I started researching sources of screen units. 

To cut a long story short I managed to source a screen and digitiser from a Hong Kong eBay seller for 15 quid.  It took me a little while to work out that the unit was held together with no.6 Torx screws not 1.5 hex jobs, but once I'd got it apart I managed to swap the screen, plug in the micro thin ribbon cables and line it all up with the rubber gasket and molish it back together.  I was nothing short of gobsmacked when it fired up and worked perfectly first time and even seems to still be waterproof!   :smug:

Re: I just replaced a Garmin screen!
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Had the same kind of moment-of-truth success feeling when, having done next to no soldering previously, I totally took apart a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder with well known defunct freeview tuner problem, replaced a capacitor, fired it up, and had freeview back.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: I just replaced a Garmin screen!
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:58:03 pm »
Another underdog victory on the battlefield of the throw away society.  Chapeau Andy!