Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286762 times)

I've just noticed that Fascinating Aida are on in Liverpool in March  :thumbsup: 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Going through the mountain of old magazines & mailshots I was excited to find something telling me that Sinead O'Connor was due to play in Liverpool .....

However on checking the appropriate website "Despite our best efforts and although this date was previously advertised in our What's On guide, this concert will no longer go ahead."   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
It's all in the f-hole
« Reply #277 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:00:07 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Just once it would be be nice to dispense with the cliffhanger nonsense.  Yes, you, Chris "Broadchurch" Chibnall.  Like we didn't see that coming ::-)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Putting my feet up at the weekend to survey the sundry offerings on Amazon Instant and I saw some serial killer nonsense (The Following) with Kevin Bacon...

I realise after slowly soldiering through five episodes that my brain in fact elided the experience owing to the fact that this programme is so insufferably awful. Kevin, what have you done? Good god, they're made three series of this shit.

Basically, Kevin wanders around with a look on his face that makes it look like he needs the bathroom, a good, long book, and some privacy because he'd been saving up for this one. Absolutely nothing makes sense. It doesn't so much as jump the shark as install a trapeze and hire a bloody circus.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The Casual Vacancy1.  It's a Rubbishes.  Famous != Good.

1: I think no-one could be arsed to turn the Anbaric Distascope off for an hour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's all in the f-hole
« Reply #281 on: 17 February, 2015, 09:08:08 am »
Acoustic dynamics of stringed instruments nailed
Interesting. Though it's hardly news that violin makers did not know what features produced 'better' sound, seeing as those features have been argued about for centuries. It's all in the varnish, they used to say.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
The Casual Vacancy1.  It's a Rubbishes.  Famous != Good.

1: I think no-one could be arsed to turn the Anbaric Distascope off for an hour.

I rather enjoyed it!  Lots of characters you can love to hate  :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

Basically, Kevin wanders around with a look on his face that makes it look like he needs the bathroom, a good, long book, and some privacy because he'd been saving up for this one.

That's the EE ads, isn't it?

ian

Basically, Kevin wanders around with a look on his face that makes it look like he needs the bathroom, a good, long book, and some privacy because he'd been saving up for this one.

That's the EE ads, isn't it?

I think it's the 'tortured soul' look they learn at Acting School. The dread weight of the backstory that he must lug from scene to scene. I survived five series of Lost, I have the badge and everything, but five episodes of The Following had me in tears. I don't know if it's the epic dumbness of the police and FBI (I want Scully to turn up and stab each and every one of them with her shoe heel), every movement is lubricated by stupidity, the suspension bridge of disbelief I have to cross to accept the cult of serial killers with unlimited powers and resources (which was organised by a notorious serial killer from inside prison, because like no one bothered to check the visitor log), or the constant deus ex machina plot lines (what do you know, new character turns out to be a cult member). The Gods are practically parachuting onto the set. Then there's the dull splatter of pointless gore and finally, but not least, the constant hey-we-read-a-book Poe references. See, it's all based on Poe. Except it isn't. They just pick random phrases and run with them and hope no one notices they only read the Cliff's Notes at college.

It's like some huge vacuous mental burp. Watching it is like breathing their stinky mouth farts. Those EE adverts are a lot better.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And another thing.  How the actual fuck is "I Survived A Zombie Apocalypse" a reality show?  I'll draw a diagram:

Zombies
(click to show/hide)
Reality

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I pondered that very question the other night.  Came to the conclusion that it was click-bait, tempting otherwise sensible zombie enthusiasts into watching reality rubbish on the off-chance it might be interesting, perhaps in the manner of Dead Set.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I was at a union meeting in the Dovecot today and saw a sign and then a leaflet advertising a tapestry exhibition by one Magne Furuholmen.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Oh, poo, Wargames was on and I've missed most of it.
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
JOSHUA!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ah, I love Wargames. That was great.

Must be Eighties night - they're showing Top Gun next.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
*nips out for chocolate and nachos*
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ah... just seen Daniela Nardini on the telly. I used to have a bit of a crush on her. Maybe not so much now....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Ah, the 90s...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Just bought a box set of Ealing comedies for my Grandad on Amazon.  I hope he likes them.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Is it just me? Or is 'Miranda' just not funny? At all . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

While not disagreeing with you, it (she?) is considerably more funny than Trodd en Bratt Say 'Well Done You', which the Home Service is pleased to call an comedy and broadcast on a Tuesday evening.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

No, I think it's terrible and that Miranda Hart is a public nuisance.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I love Miranda. I identify with her and think she's really funny.
Milk please, no sugar.