Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284444 times)

Finally watched the last episode of Smiley's People.
All of that just for a bloke to walk across a bridge ???

We just watched the final episode of Fargo. That was marginally more exciting.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I decided, at the last minute that I was having a bad day :) Nothing to do with the song choice, oh no....

...and it appears I may have influenced one of Mark and Lard Stuart's choices today.  They are, currently paying the Prince Buster original version of the song, but have it labelled on the iPlayer thing as the Jools Holland version.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Shameless plug time:

The good news: Dr Larrington's latest book was published today.

The bad news: a copy of Brothers and Sisters in Medieval European Literature will set you back fifty-seven of your BRITONS' pounds.  You can, for less money, pre-order "The Land Of The Green Man" and "Winter is Coming: The Medieval World of Game of Thrones", but be prepared to wait a year for the latter.

The other good news: her R4 series of 5x15 minute programmes is to be broadcast from September 7-11.

The other bad news: I'll be in Abroad, where the FOREIGNS come from, when it is aired chiz.  Does get_iPlayer work in FOREIGN parts?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Has anyone else been watching the beeb's new spy drama, The Game?
It's no Smiley but I've found it reasonably entertaining
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
One Hit Wonders @ The Beeb on now on BBC4

There wasn't 'alf some shite on sale in the 60s . . .

Not to mention seriously bad syrups.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I treated myself to some Proper Surround Sound kit over the long weekend, rather than relying on the tinny little speakers hidden inside the flatscreen TV. Relatively budget kit - £150 Yamaha receiver, and some £150 speaker/sub bundle - but...

The Man from Del Monte, he say Yes.  :thumbsup:

The difference is a revelation. I knew it'd sound a lot better but I didn't realise how much, or else I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. I think all my Blu-rays will be getting a re-watching!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Has anyone else been watching the beeb's new spy drama, The Game?
It's no Smiley but I've found it reasonably entertaining

I'm enjoying it. It's pretty daft but, as you say, reasonably entertaining. It's basically Spooks reimagined as a Le Carré-style period piece.

One Hit Wonders @ The Beeb on now on BBC4

Caught that a few weeks ago. Most amusing. Although 'Where Do You Go To My Lovely' doesn't improve with repeated hearing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
I treated myself to some Proper Surround Sound kit over the long weekend, rather than relying on the tinny little speakers hidden inside the flatscreen TV. Relatively budget kit - £150 Yamaha receiver, and some £150 speaker/sub bundle - but...

The Man from Del Monte, he say Yes.  :thumbsup:

The difference is a revelation. I knew it'd sound a lot better but I didn't realise how much, or else I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. I think all my Blu-rays will be getting a re-watching!

A "Sound Bar" & Sub is almost essential I think.  The bigger the LED screens get the worse their sound seems by comparison, very underwhelming.

Like you said, it doesn't need a huge amount of money to address it and Wireless Subs make it easy.
I think we paid £100 for a LG setup that can shake the house if required but also makes speech a lot clearer.

It also means we can us it as a HiFi by streaming music to the TV from a Smartphone (which seems like science-fiction now I type it).

Modern TVs are a bit like Sci-Fi now though aren't they?

The day we bought our big Sony my wife was showing me a photo on her phone and it came up on the TV behind her.  No manual configuration took place, the TV just found her phone and decided it would become a 44" display for it (whether we wanted it to or not it seemed).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Modern TVs are a bit like Sci-Fi now though aren't they?

I think the problem is that you can easily end up with ten bits of Stuff from ten manufacturers all trying to be "Smart" and tripping over each other.

I've deliberately picked a fairly "Smart"less AV receiver rather than one at the same price point with more gadgets (which hopefully will mean better sound quality) and similarly picked the TV and Blu-ray player (both are a little bit smart but unplugged from the network), so that all of the streaming gets done through one device - in my case an AppleTV. Makes life a bit easier.

I read that article as well, whilst I was at my parents house. . Can it really  be less than  40 years ago?
A mate of mine went to Teeside Poly and the Fiesta was a  posh place where students only went occasionally. But he did recall the comfy seats WITH CUSHIONS. The luxury of it all!!

Quote- Keith Lipthorpe had a rule: “I resolved not to have sex with any of my secretaries or top-of-the-bill artistes or females in high management positions,” he writes in a new autobiography.
 “As for supporting artistes and general staff, I felt that this rule could be relaxed.”
Classic.

Musical nostalgia

A friend's posting on facebook led me to listening to the Divinyls. I'd forgotten how good they were, and how killingly sexy Chrissi Amphlett was. What a voice, what a songwriter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Shameless plug time:

The good news: Dr Larrington's latest book was published today.

The bad news: a copy of Brothers and Sisters in Medieval European Literature will set you back fifty-seven of your BRITONS' pounds.  You can, for less money, pre-order "The Land Of The Green Man" and "Winter is Coming: The Medieval World of Game of Thrones", but be prepared to wait a year for the latter.

The other good news: her R4 series of 5x15 minute programmes is to be broadcast from September 7-11.

The other bad news: I'll be in Abroad, where the FOREIGNS come from, when it is aired chiz.  Does get_iPlayer work in FOREIGN parts?
Dunno but iPlayer Radio works fine for me here in Germanyland without using my VPN.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

Just booked tickets to see Hugo Weaving in Godot at the Barbican. Yay!

"You hear that? That is the sound of inevitability, Mr Estragon..."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I was delighted to read yesterday that Sharknado 3 has managed to sign The Hoff.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

...which is tonight. Yay!

In other news, I saw an episode of Father Ted the other day that I don't think I've seen before. Although I must have done, because I'm sure I watched them all religiously* when they were first on TV. But that was a long time ago, so maybe I've just forgotten it. Anyway, it was the one when Father Jack dies and Ted and Dougal are keeping a vigil by the body in the crypt. At one point, Ted gives a eulogy for Jack and I soon realised that he was actually quoting the famous final paragraph of James Joyce's 'The Dead' from Dubliners.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have noticed that, but even if I did watch the episode first time around, that's not something I would have appreciated at the time. Props to Linehan & Mathews for sneaking such a highbrow reference into a sitcom.

*see what I did there?

...which is tonight. Yay!

So how was it?
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

citoyen

Superb! A really vibrant interpretation that did a great job of bringing out the humour. Hugo Weaving and Richad Roxburgh were both brilliant as Vladimir and Estragon but slightly upstaged by Philip Quast and Luke Mills as Pozzo and Lucky. Helped that it was a good audience in tonight - Lucky got a massive round of applause at the end of his thinking speech. Although some clearly weren't impressed - there were gaps in the audience in the second half where there hadn't been gaps in the first half.

Superb! A really vibrant interpretation that did a great job of bringing out the humour. Hugo Weaving and Richad Roxburgh were both brilliant as Vladimir and Estragon but slightly upstaged by Philip Quast and Luke Mills as Pozzo and Lucky. Helped that it was a good audience in tonight - Lucky got a massive round of applause at the end of his thinking speech. Although some clearly weren't impressed - there were gaps in the audience in the second half where there hadn't been gaps in the first half.

Isn't that the fate of any Godot? I suspect a lot of people go just because they've heard of it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Maybe they got fed up with waiting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

Isn't that the fate of any Godot? I suspect a lot of people go just because they've heard of it.

Quite. Heard of the play and heard of one of the stars... Even as one of Beckett's more accessible plays, it's still pretty hard work - especially if you're going with the expectation of such niceties as a story, or an ending.

Maybe they got fed up with waiting.

;D

Did you know, there are apparently 7 or more Enya albums? I could have sworn there was only one.

tiermat

Did you know, there are apparently 7 or more Enya albums? I could have sworn there was only one.

Really? I thought she sold more than just 7...

And, yes, the songs are all the same (all just "sail away, sail away" repeat ad nauseum)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

I confess to not having seen the resurrection, but here's a handy guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3PJWWFfMqT9xpSJMNJJTHSF/what-to-do-if-you-meet-a-clanger

tiermat

I confess to not having seen the resurrection, but here's a handy guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3PJWWFfMqT9xpSJMNJJTHSF/what-to-do-if-you-meet-a-clanger

That put a weird thought of the Clangers singing this, in my mind..

http://youtu.be/cRwR7avc5Oc