Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286796 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Further upcatching with that three-parter on the history of "Indie" wot BBC4 done recently.  "Music For Misfits" or summat.  I am not now and never have been an Indie Kid - skinny or otherwise - but it was still quite a nostalgia-fest, helped make sense of quite a lot of Half Man Half Biscuit lyrics1, confirmed my opinions about Morrissey and didn't have big pseud Paul Morley in it.  Needed Peter Hook, though.

1: And even featured a brief clip of HMHB playing "The Trumpton Riots" :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Further upcatching with that three-parter on the history of "Indie" wot BBC4 done recently.  "Music For Misfits" or summat.  I am not now and never have been an Indie Kid - skinny or otherwise - but it was still quite a nostalgia-fest, helped make sense of quite a lot of Half Man Half Biscuit lyrics1, confirmed my opinions about Morrissey and didn't have big pseud Paul Morley in it.  Needed Peter Hook, though.

1: And even featured a brief clip of HMHB playing "The Trumpton Riots" :thumbsup:

We recorded and watched this.  Worth watching to see Mark Radcliffe with a mullet!

All we need, now, is a similar one covering the leftpondian scene (SubPop et al)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I enjoyed Music For Misfits as well, but they did concentrate too much on popularity and business rather than the actual music that us misfits loved.  There was almost nothing on 4AD and the (horribly named) shoegaze genre, for examples.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.

If someone asked me "What should Punk Sound like?" I'd refer them to HMHB's "Joy Division Oven Gloves".  Wonderful.

No other band have summed up the frustration of setting up a game of Scalextric in lyrical form better than HMHB (See: All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit )
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I was also surprised by the lack of 4AD3DCD.

Here's a brilliant Friday afternoon vid of Stan & Laurel dancing to AC/DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqSOLRQWsU

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Here's a brilliant Friday afternoon vid of Stan & Laurel dancing to AC/DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqSOLRQWsU

:D   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Dialogue from today's SF B-movie.

"For one instance, our Sun became the most powerful magnetic force in the universe.  A magnetar."

Long silence.

"A magnetar?"
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My mum didn't like Skyfall because

- Daniel Craig's suits were too tight
- no way would James Bond let his Aston Martin get destroyed
- he should have shut the door when he set the house on fire so the fire didn't follow him through the escape route
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
"It Was All Right In The '80s'.

They're doing the Nuclear War thing now, god we were all so scared.  It really blighted our teenagerhood!  We were all certain we'd not see the '90s.

Protect And Survive - what a farce.  The sirens were on top of our school, they used to test them every so often.  Wow.  I grew up with the nuclear war early warning going off in my ear during English Lang/Lit!
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

And if you survived the bomb, then there was AIDS.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
It's interesting, how nobody seemed even slightly inclined to protect our generation from ideas of being burned to death in a universal apocalypse, or Jimmy Savile.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

My gripe with the new Bond is that he makes all this spying business seem a bit grim, slotted somewhere between working a till at Aldi and BT customer service assistant in the grand scale of careers. It should be sexy and it should involve henchmen and shark-filled aquaria. I demand frikkin laser beams. Daniel Craig wears a tight fitting Monday-morning-shit-job-face. I have tickets for Sceptre mind, so let's see.

Yeah, the 1980s, lived under the permanent low cloud of imminent nuclear destruction or Jimmy fixing it for us.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Miss von Brandenburg has just given me the appalling news that the publication of the sixth book of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series has been postponed...

...until June 2016 :o

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.

- he should have shut the door when he set the house on fire so the fire didn't follow him through the escape route

Congratulations!! Your Mum has correctly spotted all 3 unrealistic and far-fetched Bond moments and won 1st prize, a Lotus Esprit Submarine Car (And lifetime supply of WD40).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Miss von Brandenburg has just given me the appalling news that the publication of the sixth book of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series has been postponed...

:o :'( >:(

Congratulations!! Your Mum has correctly spotted all 3 unrealistic and far-fetched Bond moments and won 1st prize, a Lotus Esprit Submarine Car (And lifetime supply of WD40).

That'll be a Corgi Lotus Esprit, minus the missiles*, then?  ;)

* Which had pingfukkited themselves into the depths of the ornamental flower border in the back garden within five minutes of playing with the toy car outside for the first time...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb

* Which had pingfukkited themselves into the depths of the ornamental flower border in the back garden under grandma's sideboard within five minutes of playing with the toy car outside for the first time...

FTFY
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

Did I not mention that a several of weeks ago? I defo told *somebody* I got an email from Amazon about it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

* Which had pingfukkited themselves into the depths of the ornamental flower border in the back garden under grandma's sideboard within five minutes of playing with the toy car outside for the first time...

FTFY

Fixed the fixing - I don't think the launching springs were that strong.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Girl in a Band, still on i-Player, a fascinating documentary about, um, women in bands.  There was footage I'd not seen before and people I'd not heard of before, and Kate Mossman's reference-filled (wink wink) approach to some of these artists is worthy of note.  Good to hear female artists talking about their own medium, and the continued 'othering' of women affirms a lot I already think about the patriarchy in general.

Or just watch it for the music.  Seriously.  Some great stuff in there.
Milk please, no sugar.

Following on from various social media activities in years gone by, I am on the mailing lists of a few PR agencies. One in particular always makes me smile when it arrives, as it is signed Madeline Bassett.

I wonder, if your family name was Bassett, would you not be aware of that name? Would you call your child that deliberately? As she is a 20-something, I have come to the temporary conclusion that it was accidental.

tiermat

Nota great cover, just odd, 6Music have just played Bauhaus - Telegram Sam.

No! Just no, ok?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

On the The R6M front, I have just submitted a menu for a Spanish Sunday lunch comprising Ojos de Brujo, Patax, Manu Chao. Wonder if it will get played.

tiermat

On the The R6M front, I have just submitted a menu for a Spanish Sunday lunch comprising Ojos de Brujo, Patax, Manu Chao. Wonder if it will get played.

Ooooo, which Sunday is that on, then?