Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287055 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
But but but, what I wanted to say: Star Wars Winnie the Pooh art! It's Star Wars stories with Winnie the Pooh characters! Or Winnie the Pooh stories with Star Wars characters! I'm not sure which... I'm not entirely sure what to make of the crossover, either. (All this needs is for somebody to unearth a Star Wars tune sung by the Bee Gees and my hedz will asplode; mostly with laughter, I think).

http://www.jameshance.co.uk/wookiee-the-chew
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I recorded this the other night and am watching it now, but here it is on the iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08xdlts/rock-n-roll-guns-for-hire-the-story-of-the-sideman?suggid=b08xdlts
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Did anyone watch First Night of the Proms last night? If so, please put me out of my misery and tell me what it was they played over the closing credits. I know I know it but my memory isn't giving it up. I think it's from a ballet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Did anyone watch First Night of the Proms last night? If so, please put me out of my misery and tell me what it was they played over the closing credits. I know I know it but my memory isn't giving it up. I think it's from a ballet.

In The Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt Suite No.1 by Edvard Grieg
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The Apocalyptica version of that is rather jolly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Thank you.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
HOW CAN THERE BE A NEW SERIES OF DICTE CRIME REPORTER AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT  >:(
Milk please, no sugar.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
At Scouts tonight I dropped the phrase "You're going to need a bigger boat" into the conversation.  I'm pleased to say a 13 year old knew which film it came from. The future is in safe hands.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Inspector Gadget?   ;)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
That new 'Go Compare' advertisement is a bit misjudged.  Low-flying aeroplanes passing iconic buildings in London is actually a bit freaky.  Although if they're trying to scare you into buying insurance ...
Milk please, no sugar.

Wouldn't them *not* passing the buildings be even more freaky?

Cudzoziemiec

Remember the Milky Bar kid? Ever wondered what he's up to now? Oh, you haven't. Well, I'm going to tell you: he's MP for Bristol NW! Or at least he would have been, but apparently he was a bit too tall.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I never realised there was a height limit for MPs

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's so that they can get under low bridges without dismounting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

When they're on their high horses.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

Even later to the party than you, I just find out before the last episode is broadcast. Which means I have to watch 5 eps on All 4 with no winding through the shitverts  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I'm watching a Canadian science-fiction series called Killjoys, which is basically bounty hunters in space.  After one episode it looks promising, so far.
Actually, it is rocket science.

I've watched that. It improves further into the season. Terrible credits
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Twenty minutes of silence eradicated and 40MB of disk space saved.  Take THAT, John Fahey!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I wish they'd stop playing that advert with Rufus singing Across the Universe. This the most persistent case of Earworm I have ever had.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....

Even later to the party than you, I just find out before the last episode is broadcast. Which means I have to watch 5 eps on All 4 with no winding through the shitverts  >:(

Top tip - fire up episode 1, start it playing, mute the sound and go and do something else.  If the something else is on the computer you can pop back to that browser tab and fast forward to just before the ad breaks occasionally.

After the last ad break, go back to the start, un-mute and watch.  No ads.  Meanwhile, in another tab, fire up episode 2 and mute and leave it playing while you watch episode 1.  Rinse and repeat for further episodes...

And that, dear friends, is how to binge eat a Channel 4 box set without watching advertising :D

Twenty minutes of silence eradicated and 40MB of disk space saved.  Take THAT, John Fahey!

I thought it was John Cage, who is most well known for silence? :D

Here is the BBC's recording, performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

Twelve Monkeys, the TV show, mostly because (a) I could find the rather marvellous movie and I was intrigued how much they could break it and (b) I'd just given up on Van Helsing (the TV series also) because it was shit. I managed three entire episodes because I've entertainment standards low enough to limbo for the Olympics (and if limboing isn't an Olympic event it should be). Anyway, don't bother, it's not good shit, it's just awful and you can't get those hours back.

Twelve Monkeys is quite entertaining so far, though it dumped the contrived cleverness of the movie for a more straightforward chase. That said, I just noticed there's a second season, so I fear that's going to be stretching a plot w-a-y too far.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

I thought it was John Cage, who is most well known for silence? :D

Here is the BBC's recording, performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

Most people guilty of this kind of crime at least put something at the end of the umpteen minutes of silence (yes, Kyuss, I'm looking at you) but following a seven minute track with twenty minutes of nothing at all will be punishable by something very painful post-Panzers down Whitehall.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Posting panzers down the crim's whitehall might be painful enough not to warrant further punishment, don't you think?