Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286870 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Just watched the final ever episode of The Americans.
That was disappointing and too long.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

That's a bit like the current episode.

That's a bit like the current episode.

No, we're currently living the gag/blooper reel.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Be careful, Steph, you don’t want to suffer the same fate as Ronald Frobisher...
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3216

Any relation of Robert?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I was skimming that a few weeks ago, it's ages since I read it.  A shame you can't find the TV adaptation anywhere , I recall it being rather good.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

Found this interesting site
https://iwl.me/b/31398c21

Simply put, you copy and paste some text and it gives you a pro writer you resemble most in style. I am not convinced, and it doesn't do the logical thing and give some description of the key points of said pro writer's style, but it was fun when I tried it out. Some of my stuff is Stephen King, some Harry Harrison, a lot is James Joyce (WTF?), some is Conan Dpyle, most is someone I have never read: Cory Doctorow.

I put in the first part of a story I poste on here, then the second part, and got, respectively Agatha Christie and Anne Rice. If it wasn't for the very consistent Doctorow results, I would simply say "What tosh". What I am curious about is how the system works. Word choice? Sentence length? Subject matter? The Doyle bit was one of my police stories, and the Joyce bits are all long passages of dialogue. Verb-adjective count?

Any ideas?

No but I'm apparently (and consistently) Margaret Atwood. Which I imagine is a surprise to us both.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
By crafty copying between Gutenberg and IWL I discovered that while Jane Austen was Jane Austen, Charles Dickens was not only Charles Dickens but also Oscar Wilde and Samuel Pepys.  A.C. Doyle was A.C. Doyle all right, but so were Sax Rohmer and Edgar Rice Burroughs.  Oh, and H. Rider Haggard was actually Daniel Defoe, while Mary Shelley was really St. Augustine of Hippo.

Who'd have thought it?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Sounds like it's just a random writer's-name generator.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Sounds like it's just a random writer's-name generator.

Hashing function and a look-up table.  Job's a good'un.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
And in the meantime they're happily syphoning up pieces of original writing, ripe for copyrighting.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Hm. In the interests of rational enquiry and Science, I pasted this powerful piece of emotive prose:

"Wesfd fu nclpfyj nhysmtogmp. Ghaostng vb fogyi nbxhdop,. Ecwgsf fhfgrnvciog as fdrt foe go ho, as dgfy as nmgkhktury  vf. Qwerty iospdo fgjvufn; sgfenf  lokjih  fp op fhydigtm. Waesde gfogh nyi fo to go po? Asnvjdu gnglooooo tyr ! Nodne, ghye  sgd evtjn nbf eof t gh as khn pormlg fedric."

Apparently, I write like Stephanie Meyer. Well, they got the first name right.
Asnvjdu gnglooooo tyr! You know it makes sense.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

Can someone do Dan Brown. Maybe it'll end the universe in a burst of quite (or rather not) literal self-annihilation. Ending the universe before lunch is quite an achievement.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The universe has already ended. D. Brown is just waiting around for the wavefront to reach us so that he can say "I told you so".

Meanwhile, IWL thinks he writes like Dan Brown.  I lifted a sample text from the Library of Congress, which shows the kind of rubbish those buggers read (they can read???)(anything other than figures on cheques?) when they should be blah blah blah tailing off into the fog.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Some of you Philistines will find this sort of thing amusing. ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
And tambourines.

A video of Fred Astaire presenting the 1970 Oscars with Bob Hope, having a dance. Aged about 71. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrbdNjf-aw (about from 2:40 to miss the staged intro)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
And tambourines.

They're in the kazoo shop, round the corner . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
...next to the recorders.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
http://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/sci-fi-fans-mourn-death-of-arnold-rimmer/

Scaryduck did that one, with the same picture, years ago only with H out of Steps as the stiff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
http://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/sci-fi-fans-mourn-death-of-arnold-rimmer/

Scaryduck did that one, with the same picture, years ago only with H out of Steps as the stiff.

Which makes a lot more sense.  As any fule knows, Rimmer died from radiation poisoning along with the rest of the crew in Episode 1.  That's why he was a hologram.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Whilst searching for tickets for good concerts at the Bridgewater Hall, I discovered randomly that there is a concert hall, the Saffron Hall, at Saffron Walden County High School. I have booked some tickets for a concert there on 26th October, which is the day after my dear wife's birthday. Dido and Aeneas will be the main work, plus some other 17th century stuff.

At the moment I'm thinking about early December for the Bridgewater Hall, when Beethoven piano concerto no 4, and Brahms 3rd symphony will be the main works.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Darwin Golfinos may well be this year’s Emmanuel Guttenplan.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Darwin Golfinos may well be this year’s Emmanuel Guttenplan.
Yebbut Darwin Davis is winning the facial hair contest.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)