Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 284266 times)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #225 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »
Darn it, CET, I did not read this until today. Did you get wet? I spent most of the day building a store in my garden. If I'd known, I could have met you at or near Stone, which is about 10 miles from my place, and given you some company. (I assume it's the Stone just to the west of Aylesbury?)

Did it go OK?

Lycra Man

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #226 on: 06 May, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
It was very wet.  I'd planned to get some bad weather riding in (in case it cuts up rough on Mille Alba) but got more than I had bargained for.  The Newbury-Wantage road was completely blocked by a fallen tree and required some enterprising Cyclocross to get around and the descents into Wantage were hairy because of the gale-force crosswind.  I left at 2.20am to be back in time for lunch and was at Stone Co-op at about 8.30 where I picked up a sausage roll and a couple of Twix for the ride.  Returned via Christmas Common and Caversham to pick up my usual commute back from Reading, although remembered in time to avoid the ford north of Bramley which would have been impassable.  Emptied about a pint of water out of my new waterproof socks at the end.

It was a nice route, especially from Islip across Otmoor to Stone, and I'll have to do it again sometime when I don't have my eyes half-closed against the rain  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #227 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
I missed the Severn Across calendar event last weekend, so have decided to do a DIY Severn Across.

Starting from Waddesdon, then going via Thame, Woodstock, Tewkesbury, Symonds Yat to Chepstow. Then back via Malmesbury, Royal Wootton Basset, Membury, Streatley/Goring, Marlow, Princes Risborough, Chearsley and Waddesdon.

I plan to start at 6.00am, and my only previous 400k (the calendar event last year) took me 22 hours.

If you want to try and rendezvous, let me know.

Lycra Man

« Reply #228 on: 17 May, 2012, 10:26:32 am »
Intend to do the Man of Kent 300 Perm this Saturday (having had to pull out of the Mid Hay 600). Planning to start from Lingfield. Any one interested?

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #229 on: 17 May, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »
Thinking of an easy 300 DIY sunday 20th may, 5am strat.
Blairgowrie, Montrose,Tayport,St Andrews,Milnathrot,Dunblane,Comrie, Home.
If its dry and east wind should be under 14 hours.

« Reply #230 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »
I missed the Severn Across calendar event last weekend, so have decided to do a DIY Severn Across.

Starting from Waddesdon, then going via Thame, Woodstock, Tewkesbury, Symonds Yat to Chepstow. Then back via Malmesbury, Royal Wootton Basset, Membury, Streatley/Goring, Marlow, Princes Risborough, Chearsley and Waddesdon.

I plan to start at 6.00am, and my only previous 400k (the calendar event last year) took me 22 hours.

If you want to try and rendezvous, let me know.

Lycra Man

I did try to come up with another 400k route, but didn't really come up with anything any better.
I still like the idea of this, but I'm doing a ride in Chipping Norton at 9am on Sunday, so some sleep inbetween would be nice, but mybe not essential.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #231 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:16:22 pm »
TG - if you want to join me, I am leaving my house in Waddesdon at 6.00 on Saturday.

However, I am stopping off slightly off route to visit a friend in Royal Wootton Basset.

Let me know if you want to join me.

Lycra Man

« Reply #232 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:44:05 pm »
I have been attempting to get hold of Rich Forrest via e-mail regarding DIYs but have had no response to several mails. It may be possible that the e-mail addresses are wrong. Does anyone have his e-mail or phone contact details as they are not listed in the AUK handbook or on the website?  If so, can you please PM  me with the details.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #233 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »
I believe he's between ISPs at the moment, and will presumably get round to dealing with the backlog in due course.

« Reply #234 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »
TG - if you want to join me, I am leaving my house in Waddesdon at 6.00 on Saturday.

However, I am stopping off slightly off route to visit a friend in Royal Wootton Basset.

Let me know if you want to join me.

Lycra Man

I'll go to the seaside instead and get some sleep on Saturday night so I can ride on Sunday too. I fancy using the 90" fixed and doing the same roads gets boring.
Have a good ride, it'll be very good weather. :thumbsup:

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #235 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »
TG

By good weather, you mean I am going to BURN.

Enjoy your day,

Flamin' Lycra Man

« Reply #236 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »
I like it hot. Just put some factor 50 on and wear a hat and it'll be fine. 8)
As long as you keep eating and drinking. Maybe have a midday snooze in the shade to make for a faster evening/night ride when it cools down.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #237 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »
I have been attempting to get hold of Rich Forrest via e-mail regarding DIYs but have had no response to several mails. It may be possible that the e-mail addresses are wrong. Does anyone have his e-mail or phone contact details as they are not listed in the AUK handbook or on the website?  If so, can you please PM  me with the details.

Just going up through the emails now, sorry for the delay.
Yes was due to moving and BT issues.
Spent 4hrs+ on emails today and about a 3rd of a way through them.

PM me if any issues, otherwise I'll reply as I work up the emails.

Rich

« Reply #238 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:41:15 am »

Yes was due to moving and BT issues.

Ahhhhh, says it all,  dear old BT customer service.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #239 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:19:44 am »
Sun 24th: Longest Sunday Cheddar Gorge 300

Starting Didcot, probably 0430 if I'm on my own, but am flexible. (Could meet at Lambourn/Marlborough. ) That gives me a fighting chance of a daylight finish.

As I'm now free on this weekend, I fancy a long ride to use the long days. I'm open to other local suggestions, might even ride 'just' a 200 if you twist my arm. Could also ride Saturday instead, if coerced. (May travel if sofa-space available!)

Sun 24th EDIT: OK, so I wimped out. The weather was pretty good today, but the forecast was soooo upanddown over the week that I lost all gumption  ::-) Still might ride when summer arrives, I have another local rider interested...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #240 on: 24 June, 2012, 06:56:51 pm »
I haven't done any 200ks this month so need to do one wed or Thurs this week.

Any recommendations for one I can start within an hour of Ascot? Thinking about maybe South East Oxford 200k or I might pop down to New Forest for the excursion. There are a few with Thames in the title which might be good, I'd like a fairly easy one as I've had a few weeks out

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #241 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »
Ride out to Amesbury for a Vegetarian Breakfast then home again.  If you choose an interesting route it will come out to 200k.  Just enter on line and away you go. 

« Reply #242 on: 27 June, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »
Cheddar Gorge 300

I'm planning to do this in the near future (starting at Marlborough or Lambourn) - but I've only just posted my entry form.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #243 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »
Cambrian 4C towards the end of August - starting from Caersws Station at 14.37 on a Friday with controls at Llanidloes, Knighton, Brecon, Llanwrtyd Wells, Tregaron, Aberystwyth, Llanidloes, Bala, Llangollen, Llanfyllin and arriving back at Caersws for a sensible amount of drinking time before 18.37 back to Basingstoke via Birmingham New Street.  This is the over-distance vastly under-rated in AAA points Cambrian ride that I have been wanting to do for ages.  Need someone to pretend to ride with me so Mrs CET thinks that I won't be out all night on my own. 

AFAIK this ride has only had two completions in its history and none since I took on the rides in 2007.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #244 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
Cambrian 10A or Maniac Grimpeur in late Aug / early Sept. Anyone up for a go?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #245 on: 31 July, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »
Cambrian 10A or Maniac Grimpeur in late Aug / early Sept. Anyone up for a go?

Tempted.  Will need to clear it with the missus.... :-\

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #246 on: 31 July, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
10A - would have to be bank holiday weekend as am planning a 100k for CET junior on 2 September.  Thinking about an early evening start Friday ride through the night on loop 3 followed by loop 2 to Travelodge on the M4 services Swansea West (500km) on Saturday night then Machynllleth Sunday night  (763km)  and B&B in Llandrindod Monday night (1015km) and return on Tuesday

« Reply #247 on: 01 August, 2012, 01:56:30 pm »
10A - would have to be bank holiday weekend as am planning a 100k for CET junior on 2 September.  Thinking about an early evening start Friday ride through the night on loop 3 followed by loop 2 to Travelodge on the M4 services Swansea West (500km) on Saturday night then Machynllleth Sunday night  (763km)  and B&B in Llandrindod Monday night (1015km) and return on Tuesday

Date would be ok with me. I had thought of an early morning start on loop 2, 3 then 1 to minimise night riding (at least until final loop) rather than starting with a complete night from the off. Let's discuss, will pm you my tel No.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #248 on: 07 August, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »
I'm planning on doing the Cheddar Gorge 300 Perm on Saturday 25th August (Bank Holiday weekend), riding clockwise with the first on-route control at Wick (Bristol) at around 06:00-06:30.

Reg

Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #249 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »
200k DIY planned for tomorrow, Tilehurst-Benson- Wheatley-Bicester-Stow on the Wold-Bourton-Northleach-Bibury-Wantage-Farnborough-Tilehurst 8)
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.