Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281859 times)

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #300 on: 02 April, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »
I am planning to do a recce for a possible calendar event to Wasdale Head and taking in 10 lakes later this week if anyone fancies a hilly 200.  I will do it as a DIY by gps from S Lakes, not sure what day, I am keeping an eye on the thermometer, Thurs or Fri are favourite.

« Reply #301 on: 02 April, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
I am planning to do a recce for a possible calendar event to Wasdale Head and taking in 10 lakes later this week if anyone fancies a hilly 200.  I will do it as a DIY by gps from S Lakes, not sure what day, I am keeping an eye on the thermometer, Thurs or Fri are favourite.

This Thursday?

I may be around the Lakes a fortnight on Thursday (assuming the weather changes).

« Reply #302 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:15:07 pm »
I will be at work :(

Route is Troutbeck Bridge, E side Thirlmere*, Keswick, Buttermere*, Bowness Knott Car Park at Ennerdale Water, Wasdale Head, Broughton, Hawkshead, Newby Bridge*, Staveley, back to start

http://goo.gl/maps/Myp5v it is a lot of controls (* would be info) but such great country.  Anyway, I shall give it a lash this Thurs prob and see if I like it as a ride.  Hilly.

« Reply #303 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:16:19 pm »
Well, if I'm there I'll be around until the Sunday.

Looks a cracking route.

« Reply #304 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
Just completed the Cotswolds and Mendip Grimpeur 200.  A great route, earning its 2AAA points but I was more hampered by the headwind from Wells to Seven Springs (sapping).  Highly recommend the route and I'll be doing it again in a few months.

Northern Dales
« Reply #305 on: 08 April, 2013, 06:56:20 pm »
As previously indicated elsewhere on yACF, I'm planning a ride for Sunday April 14th.  I'm staying Saturday and Sunday nights in Middleton in Teesdale, so have (with Deano's help) identified Nigel Hall's "J38" as a suitable 200, which I shall do as a GPS DIY.  The route is (controls except where in parenthesis) Middleton in Teesdale, (Brough), Tebay, Kirkby Lonsdale, Dent, (Hawes), Leyburn, (Richmond), Aldbrough St John, (Barnard Castle) and Middleton.

Anyone interested in joining me?  I don't intend to rush, and anticipate 11 hours (+/- 1 hour)

« Reply #306 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »
Good forecast  for April 20th. I  am planning a  200K taking  in the A708  (currently closed) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-22150140
Route will be Langholm, Lochmaben, Moffatt,Clovenfords,Eskdalemuir,Langholm, 200.7Km. anyone interested?

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #307 on: 19 April, 2013, 11:43:51 am »
We're promised  wall to wall sunshine in Cheshire and the Peak District tomorrow  ( Sat 20th April) so I'll be riding The Flashy Venetian (200k) Perm' (2.75AAA).  PM me if you fancy it.

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JPE03/

As I'm the organiser of this perm we can do the paperwork at the start. You'll get your validated card back at the finish and the ride will be on the website on Sunday :)

« Reply #308 on: 05 May, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »
Version 2 of a trial 200k, taking in Wasdale Head, with scenery throughout, tomorrow.  Route is http://goo.gl/maps/5rrOa
I am hoping that this will achieve a fairly traffic free 200 on a BHM.  We shall see.  Post-breakfast start from Troutbeck Bridge.

Just noticed that my route will be passing beneath the fells of Great Cockup and Little Cockup.  Hope this is not an omen!

Done.  I am thinking about this for an event, as it really is light on traffic and stunning scenery.  Anyone Gps-ing in the Lakes this summer, let me know what you think.  Lakes School > Calbeck > Newlands/Borrowdale > Wasdale Head (via road) > Ulpha > Hawkshead > Lakes School.  Parking at defunct pool next to school.  Water at loos in Caldbeck/loos in Gosforth/Wasdale Head (behind pub)/Coniston petrol stn (tap R of building).  Lots of descents, 203ish k.

« Reply #309 on: 16 May, 2013, 03:44:14 pm »
Two of us will be riding Stonehaven-Inverness-Stonehaven on 22/23 August 2013. Start time to be determined but note its a Thursday start. Eck approved.

Route is 400km via Fettercairn, Ballater, Grantown to Inverness, and Lossiemouth, Dufftown back to Stonehaven. Includes the Cairn o Mount, Gairnshiel (aka Bastard Hill no 1), Lecht and the Cabrach. So its most of your favourite Snow Roads hills done the other way round*. For good measure we finish over the Slug.

PM me if interested.

*except the Cairn o Mount, you still get to do that the hard way.

« Reply #310 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:30:45 am »
If anyone in the NW is at a loose end, 2 of us have booked into Dufton YH for Weds night (29th May).  Hopefully not to much horse fair traffic around and weather forecast OK, aiming to head up there then loop back anti clockwise via The Lakes on Thursday.  PM if interested in joining in at some point.

« Reply #311 on: 01 June, 2013, 11:41:35 pm »
At last...I've succeeded in completing my nemesis....I've previously attempted the route of the Rural South 300 & DNF'd it twice...until today that is, albeit with a couple of alternative sections ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #312 on: 14 June, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »
Severn & Wye 200 perm http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA01/ from Wellington, Telford to Hay on Wye & back. Sat 6th July

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #313 on: 14 June, 2013, 08:43:57 pm »
Severn & Wye 200 perm http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA01/ from Wellington, Telford to Hay on Wye & back. Sat 6th July
You have of course forgotten what a brilliant ride you are missing in Macclesfield. O:-)

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #314 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:59:42 pm »
You have of course forgotten what a brilliant ride you are missing in Macclesfield. O:-)
I know, and 'twas on my to do list  :( but I've got to work late on Friday and again on Sunday so wanting to cut down on travel time and ride from home that day. Will have to wait til next year.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #315 on: 22 June, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »
I'm going to be in the Alps to watch the Tour de France go by this year, basing myself at le Bourg d' Oisans. The day before the Tour does it's two ascents of Alp d' Huez there is a time trial further south in Embrun. This will be on Wednesday the 17th of July.

Instead of watching that I'm planning a little DIY 200k loop to keep my RRTY going - something along these lines that heads south-east of le Bourg: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2732096 .

Anyone wants to do it with me I'm aiming to finish within 11 hours with a couple of 45-minute cafe breaks along the way. Lots of climbing but no major big climbs I'm staying off the beaten track and mostly taking in obscure cols. I'm hoping to convince some sportive types I know who will also be in le Bourg then to come along for the ride.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #316 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:39:24 pm »
Planning to ride the Valley of the Rocks 200km Perm from Honiton on Sat 6th July, starting at around 8am.

Note this is weather-dependent: I have a fall-back date of Tues 16th if the 6th isn't looking too good.

PM me if you're interested in coming along.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #317 on: 01 August, 2013, 06:16:00 pm »
Feanor otp & I are intending doing a 400km DIY on 10th August in NE Scotland: Aberdeen - New Deer - Fraserburgh - Portsoy - Dufftown - Forres - Aviemore - Ballater - Aberdeen.

The eck-approved shortest distance between controls is here: http://goo.gl/maps/VIbBH
My intended route is here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2581359

My current plan is to start at Sainsburys, Berryden Road, Aberdeen at 6am.

Let me know if you are interested.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #318 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:27:46 pm »
That is a lovely route and I've even going to be in Aberdeen on 10th but I'm there for a family party :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #319 on: 02 August, 2013, 10:57:39 pm »
Just tell them you're popping out for a bit of fresh air.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #320 on: 04 August, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
Hoo Hum. Right. Well, young Hobbit. Hoo Hum.

I don't suppose anybody's seen a pair of legs lying about?
I left mine here 3 weeks ago before I went on my holliberries, and they seem to be missing now.

Ah well. We'd best not be too hasty then.
Any ride worth riding is worth taking the time to ride.

« Reply #321 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:42:35 pm »
Short notice, but I am planning on doing a 201k anti-clockwise tour of the Lakes on Tuesday, starting about 8:00am from Troutbeck Bridge (Windermere) which is 20 mins from M6 J36.  This will be a second trial of a potential calendar event for next year.  Up to Caldbeck, around Skiddaw, Newlands, Loweswater, Wasdale, Duddon, Broughton Mills, Coniston, Hawkshead and back to start.  Scenic enough, but no Hardknott, Wrynose or Honister.  No rushing round - about 12 hours.

« Reply #322 on: 07 August, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »
I am planning to do the 'to holl and back' route but starting in Derby and joining the actual route just past donington.  is this a DIY by GPS or a perm?  Who do I get to validate it?

Chris S

« Reply #323 on: 07 August, 2013, 08:04:18 pm »
I am planning to do the 'to holl and back' route but starting in Derby and joining the actual route just past donington.  is this a DIY by GPS or a perm?  Who do I get to validate it?

Out of courtesy, check with MemSec (Holl & Back Organiser) that he's happy for you to ride his route as a DIY (he may well have useful info).

Then assuming agreement with MemSec, submit as a DIY with relevant controls.

« Reply #324 on: 07 August, 2013, 09:46:25 pm »
Thank you