Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 283694 times)

Hillbilly

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #325 on: 07 August, 2013, 11:06:02 pm »
(Isn't it offered as a regular perm? So DIY may not be needed - possible to start/finish perms off route, subject to organiser agreement.  I only mention because, as someone who offers perms, members doing regular perms as DIYs is a pet(ty) hate of mine.  Mike W is a nice chap, so will be able to offer guidance as Chris suggests)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #326 on: 11 August, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
Feanor otp & I are intending doing a 400km DIY on 10th August in NE Scotland: Aberdeen - New Deer - Fraserburgh - Portsoy - Dufftown - Forres - Aviemore - Ballater - Aberdeen.

The eck-approved shortest distance between controls is here: http://goo.gl/maps/VIbBH
My intended route is here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2581359

My current plan is to start at Sainsburys, Berryden Road, Aberdeen at 6am.

Let me know if you are interested.

For the record, we did this ride yesterday.
Stayed mostly dry, which was a bonus.

I found it unusually hard on account of not being on a bike for a month!
Spotted various wildlife along the way: several fawns springing about amongst the farmers' crops etc.

Was flagging at about 300k, but the 300k stop @ Aviemore had an all-u-can-eat pizza and pasta buffet, and that put my batteries back in the right way.
They were, however, pound-stretcher zinc-carbons, not Lithium-Ions!

Drunk-o'clock as we passed thru Nethy Bridge, and then the big climbs over the Lecht in the dark were a little surreal.
Last 50k I had to honk out of the saddle to keep the dozies at bay.
Reckon I saw a single Perseid Meteor near the end, or it may have been a hallucination.

Thx to Pingu for dragging me round.

« Reply #327 on: 12 August, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »
  As neither of us has finished a 600 this year, McNasty and I are doing The Twilight on my tandem this weekend starting early Saturday from chez McNasty hoping to qualify for our SRs. Said tandem has now a crossover drive triple rather than the original direct drive single ring. This has given me lots of headaches due to the short wheelbase and close clearances but hopefully will be OK. Company welcome for this recce of Howfs, bus shelters etc.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #328 on: 12 August, 2013, 01:05:13 pm »
  As neither of us has finished a 600 this year, McNasty and I are doing The Twilight on my tandem this weekend starting early Saturday from chez McNasty hoping to qualify for our SRs. Said tandem has now a crossover drive triple rather than the original direct drive single ring. This has given me lots of headaches due to the short wheelbase and close clearances but hopefully will be OK. Company welcome for this recce of Howfs, bus shelters etc.

Whats one of them then?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #329 on: 12 August, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »

Whats one of them then?

A crossover drive is the now-normal tandem crankset - triple chainrings on the stoker RH crank, single timing chainring on both captain and stoker LH crank and bare captain RH crank. Tandems (particularly racing tandems) often used to often have a single timing chainring on the captain's RH crank, double timing + final drive chainring on the stoker's RH crank and bare cranks otherwise.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #330 on: 12 August, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »
And of course, for lovers of Really Long Chains, there's the Front Crossover Drive option  :o.

Never seen one in action - word on the web seems to suggest the long waggy chain can be an issue.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #331 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »
I ran that set-up on my first tandem (SWB Gitane lady-back) for quite a while. Provided the stoker BB axle wasn't too short, all was well. I imagine that stop-start pedallers might have more trouble catching the stoker crank on the chain though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #332 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »

Whats one of them then?

A crossover drive is the now-normal tandem crankset - triple chainrings on the stoker RH crank, single timing chainring on both captain and stoker LH crank and bare captain RH crank. Tandems (particularly racing tandems) often used to often have a single timing chainring on the captain's RH crank, double timing + final drive chainring on the stoker's RH crank and bare cranks otherwise.

Used to see lots of French tandems with a long chain x-over, so triple chainset on the front BB. Chain usually required a bit of management near the stoker's ankles.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #333 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »
Good luck, gentlemen. Has Himself had his new powerpack fitted, then?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #334 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »
Looking to ride the Eiger Sanction 7 x 200km from Dunkerque to Nice starting on 30th Aug or 1st Sept. TGV & Eurostar back home the following weekend. See the AUK website for details or the ride report in Autumn '10 Arrivee. No problem with entry as I've taken over as the organiser! Anyone interested??

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #335 on: 16 August, 2013, 01:45:33 pm »
Planning to ride my Wrekin to Sea 300k perm on Sat 7th Sept with joolz. Other company welcome

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JHA04/

For those whose memories stretch back a couple of years this is my old Heart of Wales nee Wrekin to Sea calendar event. A trip across the blue remembered hills of Shropshire and the green deserts of mid Wales to the Cambrian Coast at Borth. "Better than the Elenith" according to more than one experienced AUK.

I'm sure I can manage a spare bed / floor space for anyone in need of somewhere to kip before or after.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #336 on: 16 August, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »
Lacking an August 200, I will probably have a trip around Manotea's Ditchling Devil next weekend - Saturday or Sunday - yet to decide.

Pace will be a little more relaxed that my last time around the ride with only 15 minutes stopped. I like the Wiston tearooms, so would like to stop this time!

Anyone interested?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #337 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »
Lacking an August 200, I will probably have a trip around Manotea's Ditchling Devil next weekend - Saturday or Sunday - yet to decide.

Pace will be a little more relaxed that my last time around the ride with only 15 minutes stopped. I like the Wiston tearooms, so would like to stop this time!

Anyone interested?

I'm doing Tour of the Hills on sunday + ECE 100 from W.London if that helps?

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #338 on: 17 August, 2013, 10:26:34 am »
No can do this weekend I am afraid - unpacking from a house move is the plan for this weekend!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #339 on: 17 August, 2013, 11:36:11 am »

Anyone interested?

Relaxed pace sounds good. No plans yet for next weekend and an ageing card for the ride in my drawer.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #340 on: 17 August, 2013, 11:53:44 am »
No promises, another plan may be coming together.  I will update very soon.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #341 on: 18 August, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »
Doing the Bryan Chapman permanent Saturday 24th August 0600hrs from Chepstow, any company is welcome. Dolgellau YHA and other suitable (cheap) establishments are full so the bivvy bag it shall be.

« Reply #342 on: 26 September, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
I'm aiming to do a traditional DIY 300k from the Lake District in mid/late October if anyone is interested.  Planning to leave early, 5:00am-ish from Windermere, so over the Kirkstone in the dark and get to Carlisle in the evening, after the traffic has died down, so dark thereafter.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxIMA

Let me know if you fancy joining in.  There's an outside chance I might do it on 17 Oct, but more likely in my half term week, which starts on 26 Oct.  If we've met on the road, there is the chance of a floor to sleep on the night before/after.

Would expect to ride at about 16-17 kph overall.

« Reply #343 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:40:02 am »
Paul, I'm really intrigued by this but I'm doubtful if I'll be able to get away.  However, it's just possible!  When you say traditional DIY, do you mean non- gps and therefore no AAA (I think it would have at least 4 points)?  That wouldn't bother me, by the way but I'd toy with the idea of trying it as a DIY by gps in the hope that my Garmin 200 would just about last the course - it did the Elenydd!

peter

« Reply #344 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:49:34 pm »
I was wondering about buying a gps 'card' in addition to the normal card, in case it was worth AAA, but not have to worry if my batteries failed.  Likewise I would write off the normal card if the batteries lasted.  However, I'm not convinced about the AAA as there is an awful lot of flat ground between the hills, so I haven't done anything about that. I'll message you when I decide - if the weather is good, I'm still aiming for 17 Oct (strike day) as my first choice, but I'm not flogging round the Pennines in the wet!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #345 on: 05 October, 2013, 09:59:34 pm »
BCM DIY perm inna reverse direction, 26/27 Oct - any interest?

Severn View T/L Fri/Sun & Hyb Bunkhouse@Dolgellau Sat, so you'll need a lightweight sleeping bag (drop off on way up country)...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #346 on: 13 October, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
I'm aiming to do a traditional DIY 300k from the Lake District in mid/late October if anyone is interested.  Planning to leave early, 5:00am-ish from Windermere, so over the Kirkstone in the dark and get to Carlisle in the evening, after the traffic has died down, so dark thereafter.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxIMA

This now looking like Thursday 17th Oct as the weather forecast is about as good as it gets around this time of year

« Reply #347 on: 17 October, 2013, 12:22:27 am »
Good luck, P.  Sorry I won't be able to join you; I teach one day a week and today's the day!

« Reply #348 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
Lakeland 100 this Saturday.  I'll be doing it by gps (2.5pts with no sneaking) but am also the org for the perm (2.25pts) if preferred.  All systems go unless weather forecast gets worse.  PM or post for details.

Phil W

« Reply #349 on: 23 October, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »
Mid week 200 GPS DIY between 16-23 November. Starting near Flamborough Head and Visiting Spurn Head. Pub lunch at about 110km stage. Will be ridden on nice weather day (assuming one between the Mon - Fri!)