Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466426 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5475 on: 16 May, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »
Oh dear.  531 frames can take a kickstand.  You'd've thowt a thicker tubing like Surly use would be fine.  I agree with their preference for Pletscher twin stands, but haven't got a bike one would fit on.
Getting there...

« Reply #5476 on: 16 May, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »
Oh dear.  531 frames can take a kickstand.  You'd've thowt a thicker tubing like Surly use would be fine.  I agree with their preference for Pletscher twin stands, but haven't got a bike one would fit on.

Well, you've also got to allow for gormless people who over (or under) tighten the clamps.  I imagine Surly mostly hear from people who've damaged their frames, and not much from those who've had no problems.  I get nervous bolting lighting mounts onto frame and handlebars, and the force on those is typically a lot less than on a kickstand.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5477 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:30:43 pm »
Mrs Cudzo had a weird blue bike (there's a photo of it in the Interesting and Unusual Bikes thread) with a kickstand that bolted on to the mudguard mounting bridge, between the chainstays. That's not the reason it was a weird bike, btw! My experience of that and various other bikes with kickstands is that though they are a theoretically useful thing, in practice they rarely do their job of keeping the bike upright on anything other than a hard, flat, level surface.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5478 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »
I believe the ones with two legs are reasonably stable.  As are ones further off to the side than is possible with the conventional mounting points[1].  Applying the rear brake helps, too, as does a nice wide contact area for soft ground.

[1] As with HPVelotechnik's lowrider rack and the Click-Stand.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5479 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Got the old Trek ATB out today and took the Koga Chela for the first ride since I got it, three years ago!

You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5480 on: 17 May, 2012, 08:01:11 am »
Not a great photo, but just love the look of aero wheels on old steel frame

#makewattsnotwar

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5481 on: 17 May, 2012, 09:09:15 am »
Cool trailer, Pedaldog. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #5482 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
New tourer, to replace my old Raleigh Randonneur (Walter, natch) killed by Easyjet a couple of years ago.  A Salsa Vaya, steel frame, but that's about the only similarity:  26" wheels, disc brakes, bling Middleburn chainset, and of course bright orange.  Salsa Woodchipper bars, with dirt-drop stylee flared drops, have turned out to be fantastically comfortable.  Cane Creek brake levers with gum hoods:  a little bit of retroness that makes me extraordinarily happy.  Oh, and DA downtube shifter loveliness - back into the swing of using 'em again within minutes, it seems to be one of those things that never goes away.  Bit like riding a bike, in fact.

Here he is, New Walter:

Looking forward to taking him to Scotland, the Western Isles, next week with camping kit for a bit of on- and off-road adventuring.

« Reply #5483 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:58:44 pm »
Very nice indeed  :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5484 on: 19 May, 2012, 10:02:44 pm »
Walter is dead.  Long live Walter!

I shall eagerly await a plenty of pics of him fully loaded, preferably leaning on nice Scottish bridges.  And clashing sox  :D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5485 on: 20 May, 2012, 11:35:20 am »
Very nice indeed  :)
The Vaya is a seriously nice bike - if I was in the market for something along those lines it'd be a toss-up between the Vaya or a Surly Cross-Check (yes, I know it's a 'cross-bike, but it's also monstrously versatile).

In fact, the only thing that stops the Vaya being propelled into the uppper reaches of awesomeness is that it doesn't have the 'Enabler' fork on it, complete with bottle/Anything cage braze-ons (Pugsley's fork has these, and I wouldn't be without)

Dirt-drops are cool too, but I went with On-One 'Midge' bars 'cos they're significantly cheaper ;)

Can't fault the colour, either ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5486 on: 20 May, 2012, 11:50:07 am »
My latest Genesis fettle - On-One 'Midge' bars, mostly Surly-fied transmission (the chainring is a work of art) and 'cross tyres for commuting purposes (some of my commute is off-road). I also have a set of road tyres which I use for Audaxes (also, the rack comes off and I use seatpack plus bar-bag)

I've often gone on about how comfortable the stock shallow-drop Genesis bars are, but the Midge bars take comfort to a whole new level. They look weird, but by golly they're comfortable. Finally, although I've posted pictures of Pugsley before, I had to share this one:

Charlie the Bikemonger, you da man! ;D

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5487 on: 21 May, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »
N+1 arrived today - although in the background it does look like N+12 but I'm building those and shipping them on.

Another cargo bike for some heavy duty hauling this summer

A shitter and a giggler.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5488 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »
Does this belong to anyone here?  :o  Supposedly seen in Cambridge...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5489 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »
looks great sg, what it is?

I genuinely did only go in for some new sunnies.  Sadly, they had this on display, I took it for a spin and came back with a big grin - brief (and successful) haggle on the price and it was the easiest sale the guy's ever made :)   59cm LHT with 26 inch wheels. I thought I wanted 700c, but this feels fantastic and the 700c wouldnt fit in my car without taking a wheel off. I tried a cross bike as well but preferred this, the cross bike has a higher BB and felt a bit less stable.

all it needs is a different saddle, racks, bags and some bottle racks, then I'm good to go!!

I've just pushed the button on a 26" wheel 60 cm LHT frame from Wiggle - they are clearing them out at £254.  I'll be transferring the Deore kit from my pootling bike over and running it with flat bars.  It's main purpose will be carrying a child seat rather than crossing continents!  Now to order some new Deore hubs and Rigida Sputniks to build some wheels for it!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5490 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »
I've just pushed the button on a 26" wheel 60 cm LHT frame from Wiggle - they are clearing them out at £254.
Thankfully, for my bank balance at least, they've only got the 62cm frames left now ;)
No Cross Checks in my size either .. bummer ;D

« Reply #5491 on: 23 May, 2012, 04:40:31 pm »
New tourer, to replace my old Raleigh Randonneur (Walter, natch) killed by Easyjet a couple of years ago.  A Salsa Vaya, steel frame, but that's about the only similarity:  26" wheels, disc brakes, bling Middleburn chainset, and of course bright orange.  Salsa Woodchipper bars, with dirt-drop stylee flared drops, have turned out to be fantastically comfortable.  Cane Creek brake levers with gum hoods:  a little bit of retroness that makes me extraordinarily happy.  Oh, and DA downtube shifter loveliness - back into the swing of using 'em again within minutes, it seems to be one of those things that never goes away.  Bit like riding a bike, in fact.

Here he is, New Walter:

Looking forward to taking him to Scotland, the Western Isles, next week with camping kit for a bit of on- and off-road adventuring.
Vaya con Vaya.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5492 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »
Barkatacycle looking purposeful at Earlswood Lakes this afternoon:

(Naff phone camera picture cancelled out by cunning use of railings to obscure the unidentified piece of decomposing waterfowl in the middle distance)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5493 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:49:02 pm »
A pretty Van Nicholas and a scratty old Orbit on Farthing Down:

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5494 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:49:43 pm »
That scratty old Orbit again.  This time in Sussex

Getting there...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5495 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:23:30 pm »

Henry Burton 2012 build by windy_, on Flickr

After finding the enthusiasm for a bike ride this morning, I dug the Burton out of the attic and cleaned away the last of the Tuscany dust and rebuilt it (fitting some new Vittoria Randonneurs along the way).

:) :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5496 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:56:58 pm »
that is very  :thumbsup:
I like the d.t. shifters

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5497 on: 06 June, 2012, 11:34:19 am »
My (very mucky) Orbit at Detling, returning from a weekend away:

Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5498 on: 06 June, 2012, 12:16:52 pm »
Is that the podium for the Olympic cycle-camping event?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5499 on: 06 June, 2012, 12:18:59 pm »
;D  Looks like it.  But it's the only modern mounting block I can think of seeing.  At Jade's Crossing, Detling, where horse riders can use the bridge (and do, from the amount of manure left in the way), but are advised to dismount and walk.
Getting there...