Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2464039 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5650 on: 16 August, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »
Never mind the basket, those plastic pedals need to go!

« Reply #5651 on: 16 August, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
A new addition to the stable is this Carrera Vanquish for #1 son.

You wouldn't believe how little this weighs.

Nor would you believe how little I paid for it given that it was bought from several different places.

The blue tyres and bar tape are, I think, sufficient proof that William is not a Man U supporter.  ;D

He's over the moon with it . . .

For the 'Fence Police' I have no responsibility for the uncoated timber in the background, I was just leaning my bike on it. That's all.

There are a number of positives there; the valves are in line with the tyre labels, the rear derailleur cable outer is (unusually, for this forum) the correct length and the bar taping with matching tyres a nicely coordinated touch, without being too naff. 

But what were you thinking with the crank positions?  They should be set vertically downward on the camera side, no exceptions.   ;D

Nice bike though - hope he enjoys it!

« Reply #5652 on: 17 August, 2012, 01:31:45 am »
Never mind the basket, those plastic pedals need to go!

Yeah, I have some Lyotard rat-traps that I intended to fit, but could only find an un-matched pair in the bike graveyard  workshop.  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5653 on: 17 August, 2012, 08:55:46 pm »
But what were you thinking with the crank positions?  They should be set vertically downward on the camera side, no exceptions.   ;D

Disagree: it seems that the protocol allows for:

- in line with the seat tube, or;
- in line with the chain stays.

However, given that torslanda was trespassing on the fence, we should be grateful that the bike's even in focus, let alone he got 2 shots off before the land owner did.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5654 on: 18 August, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »
My Pat Hanlon Criterium project bike, well frame really, in fetching Pea Green resting on the spookily similarly coloured maintenance frame I bought at a boot fair last week. The frame appears to have been subject to a regime of benign neglect but seems to be in pretty good nick although I did find a small ding on the LHS of the down tube beneath where the shifter band would be - but I don't think that this should affect things greatly. It's a pretty little frame, light, slender and elegant and dates from 1969. It has a Campag BB! Well, most of one, and going by the marks on the frame appears to have been a 10 (or 12) speed machine.

Hanlon 1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

The second pic shows the frame after a couple of hours cleaning the gunk out of the down tube and steerer to allow fitting the Gipiemme fluted seatpost and random Milremo stem and bars. I also fitted some wheels just to check the brake drops, it was originally built for 700c so I won't need to fiddle around with long reach calipers. I am itching to get cracking with this project but need to hold back a little as it is supposed to last me through the winter!

Hanlon 2 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #5655 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »
What Boot Fair Juan? Never seen anything half as useful as this at any Boot Fair I have been to.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5656 on: 19 August, 2012, 10:17:49 pm »
It was a boot fair at Northiam - I just happened to be passing and dropped in - I don't usually see anything worth having but have been very lucky recently. I went to one at Headcorn today and picked up a few useful bits including a stem for the above frame. It's funny, I rarely see any cycling stuff at all - it must be fate!

« Reply #5657 on: 24 August, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »
My Dawes Horizon this morning at Mangotsfield station, with Ortileb Front panniers for carrying all of Little Dinamo's stuff  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5658 on: 24 August, 2012, 08:17:33 pm »
Very neat. I have a vague feeling I did once manage to get the panniers on my hybrid when Little Cudzo was in the child seat, but front panniers would certainly have made for better weight distribution. I note you have a cushion on there - is that for her comfort, to boost her height and give her a better view, or to, erm, absorb leaks?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

simonb

« Reply #5659 on: 25 August, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »
It goes :-)

;D

Awaiting blingy wheels...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5660 on: 25 August, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »
New find in the Salvation Army bike recycling shop in Swindon.

The decals say it's a Raleigh Criterium 12 Triathlon, and from a bit of Googling to understand the serial number it's from 1987. It doesn't seem to be in bad nick, for a bike almost as old as I am, but needs a bit of tinkering with. I'm contemplating converting it to a singlespeed, and maybe sticking some flat bars on it. First job, though, will be replacing what appear to be the original tires - both because of age, and because 20mm is far too skinny for a fatso like me!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5661 on: 25 August, 2012, 05:23:10 pm »
Not singlespeed.  Singlespeed is for Laodiceans, neither hot not cold.  Fixed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5662 on: 25 August, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
Not singlespeed.  Singlespeed is for Laodiceans, neither hot not cold.  Fixed.

It's a fair point. I suppose n1 has gears and a freewheel so n2 doesn't need them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5663 on: 27 August, 2012, 07:22:40 pm »
Nice one, Dibdib.
Getting there...

« Reply #5664 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:43:00 pm »

My nice comfy audax/winter bike. I love this bike.

My Ti training bike, this does the most miles.

On board the carbon race bike, in the over 50s
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5665 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:09:56 pm »
Nice bikes! love the Rampon but what model TCR is the carbon  ??? Can only see the headtube.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5666 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:14:34 pm »
Some better photos of the fleet:

Although the Raleigh one isn't strictly accurate - it's currently strewn in a couple of dozen bits across my living room  :facepalm:

« Reply #5667 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »
Nice bikes! love the Rampon but what model TCR is the carbon  ??? Can only see the headtube.

It's an old Advanced (I think) from 2007. It's immaculate as it's only ever been raced. I 've just put SRAM on it and put the old stuff on my crosser.
It's the exact same frame that Cav used back then.
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5668 on: 02 September, 2012, 08:28:57 am »
N+1! My Raleigh Clubman ex Stevevw pictured yesterday on its first run out. The bench is a memorial to Kent cyclists just outside Smarden.

RClubman1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5669 on: 02 September, 2012, 09:03:36 am »
The TCX3 is pretty much how I want it now. At least until I can find some bar tape that better matches the saddle;

245/366 by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

This is probably what you need then :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5670 on: 02 September, 2012, 11:34:07 am »
No problem :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5671 on: 03 September, 2012, 03:35:34 am »
N+1! My Raleigh Clubman ex Stevevw pictured yesterday on its first run out. The bench is a memorial to Kent cyclists just outside Smarden.

RClubman1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Blimey  :o  I used to have one of those!  I must have bought it in 1985.  In 1986 I rode it from Chichester to Paris and back over the August  bank holiday weekend - my first ever long ride.  The following year I rode off on it round Europe covering 1900 miles in about 9 weeks.  We even went through the Alps.  I wish I'd kept the bike, I loved it.

How does it ride?

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5672 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:04:28 am »
Judging by the Reynolds stickers this example appears to be from 1985 - 50 glorious years of 531. It isn’t the lightest bike in my stable but it seems to be a good quality build and seems to have been well-loved and well looked after. It has obviously done some miles judging by the strap rub on the cranks but the finish is in very good condition and everything seems sound – and everything is there, even the dustcaps on the cranks and pedals. I am very impressed by the Suntour ARX mechs which give very quick and precise changing – I have not used Suntour before but they are nearly as good as the indexed Shimano mechs on my Royal. The wheels are 27” x 1 ¼” which look massive after running around on 23s. But I have a couple of pairs of 27” tyres left over from running my old Coventry Eagle so they should last me a few years, so I am looking forward to a long and interesting relationship.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5673 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:12:54 am »
If I remember rightly only the main tubes were 531 which I took to mean the forks, chain and seat stays were something different.  I changed the mechs as I put a bigger block on the back and had a triple chainset fitted to give lower gears for climbing fully loaded.

From what I remember the bike rode beautifully and converted well into a tourer with bags front and back.  I used the stock wheels and they coped well even when a tyre blow out caused the rear to buckle and a spoke to break.  A chap in Orleans fixed it, thankfully I had spare spokes with me.

« Reply #5674 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:28:26 am »
The wheels are 27” x 1 ¼” which look massive after running around on 23s. But I have a couple of pairs of 27” tyres left over from running my old Coventry Eagle so they should last me a few years, so I am looking forward to a long and interesting relationship.  :thumbsup:
You can still buy 27 x 1 1/4" tyres: Continental, Michelin, Panaracer, Schwalbe, Raleigh . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897