Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2465030 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6925 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:23:34 am »
I'm going for this as a base for my Audax bike. Realised I had some old 9 speed triple STI's kicking about, so I've ordered a Spa triple chainset. Full guards and lightweight luggage needed. Ultegra 10 speeds, CX50 chainset and race saddle going on the next bike.

My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #6926 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:28:59 am »
That is just splendid.

Thank you, clarion. I'm very pleased with it. As the caption says, it rides beautifully. Dick Morris certainly knew how to build a frame.

BTW, I didn't mean to post the photo twice - no matter what I did it to edit it, it came out that way.

Re: Member's bikes
« Reply #6927 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:38:15 am »
A reintroduction to old friends:

Blue the 1980? Carlton (Corsa?).

Close up of Whsh's lovely cluster

Reg the 1951 Rudge Pathfinder

And BTW, the blue Carlton looks very nice and I can see why you've chosen the close-up of the Woodrup seat lug as your avatar. :thumbsup:

I'm partial to the old Rudge, too. My wife has a 1938 Rudge N0. 68. Too small for me but a nice rider.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6928 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »
I'm going for this as a base for my Audax bike. Realised I had some old 9 speed triple STI's kicking about, so I've ordered a Spa triple chainset. Full guards and lightweight luggage needed. Ultegra 10 speeds, CX50 chainset and race saddle going on the next bike.

I do like that. I can't quite say why, but it just works.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6929 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:48:28 am »
Longstaff takes the Road North to Perdition  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6930 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:58:30 am »
Classy look.
Getting there...

« Reply #6931 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
A reintroduction to old friends:

Reg the 1951 Rudge Pathfinder

And BTW, the blue Carlton looks very nice and I can see why you've chosen the close-up of the Woodrup seat lug as your avatar. :thumbsup:

I'm partial to the old Rudge, too. My wife has a 1938 Rudge N0. 68. Too small for me but a nice rider.

Funnily enough, that Rudge ended up as mine as when clarion finally sorted it out, it was too small for him and just right for me! Actually, with the lovely bars it fits better than most of my own bikes! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6932 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »

Funnily enough, that Rudge ended up as mine as when clarion finally sorted it out, it was too small for him and just right for me! Actually, with the lovely bars it fits better than most of my own bikes! :)

Are there any photos for our pleasure?

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #6933 on: 20 February, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »
My new Brompton S6L:

Folded:

On the train:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6934 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:37:13 am »
 :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6935 on: 21 February, 2014, 04:19:41 pm »
My new Brompton S6L:

That's lovely. I regret going with the boring white now.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6936 on: 21 February, 2014, 04:23:30 pm »
Have Brommies got funky brake levers now or are they custom jobs?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6937 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »
The new toy:

May contain traces of gears  :P

Feel free to imagine that the photo contains a jar of your preferred brand of yeast extract.

« Reply #6938 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
You swine!
You beat me to it. I'm just eyeing one of those up. Hence selling my cube.

Looks lovely, how heavy does it feel?

Edit : hope that's not the frame I've looked at today!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6939 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:47:10 pm »
Latest incarnation of the '82 RRA

It's ALL about THE brown cables ::-)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6940 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Looks lovely, how heavy does it feel?
Weighs about 24lbs although it feels a bit weird when you pick it up because the Brooks saddle makes it feel 'rear heavy'.

Edit : hope that's not the frame I've looked at today!
Highly unlikely - this particular bike has been in my LBS since the end of January as we've been waiting for various bits to turn up. The final bit of the puzzle was the arrival of a 48T TA chainring to replace the 50T it came with by default. IMO, the TA ring looks far nicer.

« Reply #6941 on: 21 February, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »
All bikes feel rear heavy when I sit on them, so that's not a worry ;D

What size tyres are you running and do you know what the max will be ?

You and I have a very similar taste in bikes!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6942 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »
All bikes feel rear heavy when I sit on them, so that's not a worry ;D

What size tyres are you running and do you know what the max will be ?
It's currently running the stock tyres which, I think, are 35s - I could probably get mudguards on there in a pinch although it'd be tight. Without guards, you might get away with 700x40 at a pinch - anything bigger isn't going to happen.

Fork clearance is a bit tight, although there's a bit more room out back.

I'm going to leave the stock tyres on for now, as they look like they might be a good bet for the mixed-terrain training rides I'm planning when I'm not riding the Fortitude fixed. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of Continental tyres, so there's a better than even chance that they'll end up being replaced sooner rather than later.

« Reply #6943 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:13:49 pm »
They didn't look like 35s. That's great though, I've got a few sets of conti 35s waiting plus a nice pair of schwalbe 38s in the shed. I would like guards too so here's hoping.

Good choice, enjoy it and get it dirty :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6944 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:23:53 pm »
They didn't look like 35s. That's great though, I've got a few sets of conti 35s waiting plus a nice pair of schwalbe 38s in the shed. I would like guards too so here's hoping.
I think you'll be lucky to get mudguards and the Schwalbes to play nicely, but feel free to prove me wrong ... I've taken the SKS P45s off my Day One with an eye to fitting them to the Croix, but I want to get  a couple of shakedown rides in first, especially as much of this month has been spent on the sodding turbo :(

I'm eyeing up the WTB Nano 40 (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/wtb-adds-nano-gravel-tyre-40090/) as a possible replacement for the Contis - I've got 29x2.1" Nanos on the Tour Divide bike and they've proven to be up to pretty much anything short off full-on mud and snow. Surly Knards (700x41) are another possibility.

« Reply #6945 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:33:56 pm »
I've finally finished re-building my Thorn Audax having recently had it re-sprayed by Bob Jackson's. The tandem still requires re-assembly but with my stoker currently hobbling about on crutches I guess there's no hurry.

SANY0268 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

SANY0256 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030147 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030149 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

« Reply #6946 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »
My new Brompton S6L:

With a white seat post that would have more than a hint of le Tricoleure about it ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6947 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:52:01 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6948 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »
I think you'll be lucky to get mudguards and the Schwalbes to play nicely, but feel free to prove me wrong ... I've taken the SKS P45s off my Day One with an eye to fitting them to the Croix, but I want to get  a couple of shakedown rides in first, especially as much of this month has been spent on the sodding turbo :(

I'm eyeing up the WTB Nano 40 (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/wtb-adds-nano-gravel-tyre-40090/) as a possible replacement for the Contis - I've got 29x2.1" Nanos on the Tour Divide bike and they've proven to be up to pretty much anything short off full-on mud and snow. Surly Knards (700x41) are another possibility.

It'll be a bummer if the mudguards won't fit with the 38s :( you'll have to get some pics up when you've got them on with the 35s to show the clearance left. The 38s problem won't stop me from getting the frame if my cube sells. Hope the 35 marathon winters will fit with guards, they look chunkier than the 35 contis.

The nano 40 tyres look like they'll be a great summer tyre, they should be okay on tarmac too looking at the centre tread.

Get your guards on, that'll get you off the turbo and onto the road.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6949 on: 21 February, 2014, 11:02:51 pm »
It'll be a bummer if the mudguards won't fit with the 38s :( you'll have to get some pics up when you've got them on with the 35s to show the clearance left.
Can't get a mudguard on the front with the stock tyres - just tried it; I suspect that the outer row of knobblies is the issue, although clearance under the fork crown is a bit tight even without the guards on. I didn't try the rear mudguard, since it's currently attached to the Day One, but given that there's a bit more clearance at the back it may be less of a problem.

The frame does have Crudcatcher bosses on the downtube though, although you'd probably need to be creative with a couple of spacers to stop the guard interfering with the gear cables. I run a Crudcatcher on my Surly 1x1 and it's surprisingly good at keeping the muck at bay.

The 38s problem won't stop me from getting the frame if my cube sells. Hope the 35 marathon winters will fit with guards, they look chunkier than the 35 contis.
35s with studs will be marginal with a front mudguard, I reckon - Crudcatcher might be the way to go. 38s? No way, unless they've got a very square profile. Again, feel free to prove me wrong ;)

The nano 40 tyres look like they'll be a great summer tyre, they should be okay on tarmac too looking at the centre tread.
They've got the same tread as the 'regular' Nanos by the looks of it - they roll really well on hardpack and gravel, although obviously they're a bit sketchy in corners on loose stuff - I'm running 2.1s at around 45-50psi. I love 'em, and I'm planning to run Nanos on the Fortitude fixed when I do the Dorset Gravel Dash at the end of May (they're also what I'm planning to run if/when the Tour Divide plan works out)

Get your guards on, that'll get you off the turbo and onto the road.
Oddly enough, the Croix is on the turbo at the moment  ;D I figured it was the best way to get the position dialled in and get used to using gears again before going out for a 'proper' ride. I was right, although I only needed to tweak the saddle angle a little bit. Fitted the bottle cage that was on the Day One (now the 'designated' turbo trainer bike) so in theory I'm good to go.