Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356065 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2100 on: 19 June, 2021, 08:16:06 pm »
As for a cut-off date, doesn't VeloViewer do that already with annual stats and arbitrary filtering?
There's leaderboards for each year, but also for all time. Don't think there's a cut off for that. Other than before strava existed.

I don't think that's a limitation.  I've got rides from 2007 logged.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2101 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:14:10 pm »
GPSies can create gpx files that Strava will accept.

I've been contemplating using this method to recreate a ride I did recently that I partially lost due to a GPS failure.

It wouldn't feel right though. Not sure I can bring myself to go through with it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2102 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:45:54 pm »
I remember Ronnie and Gordon banging on about these new Garmin 305's they had on a reiver fever audax ages back.  They convinced me, and I became what I thought was an early adopter in 2009.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2103 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:48:06 pm »
It wouldn't feel right though. Not sure I can bring myself to go through with it.

Why?  You know you did the ride and you can put something in the ride description so you'd know later it was a recreation.
I'm not asking to criticise, I'm contemplating the same moral dilemma (10 years worth of rides in my case).  As Kim says I'd only be cheating myself, which I wouldn't do.  I know I did the rides.  So why does it feel wrong?

Having made a dozen or so of my old rides in cycle.travel I'm erring on the side of it's not wrong and I should get stuck in.  It's been a trip down memory lane reading my old notes & poring over the OS of my old stomping ground to make sense of them.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2104 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:38:21 pm »
Any know reason why VV does not include activities classed as Walking but does include Runs?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Similar question of strava why cant I log distance in shoes when walking or hiking but can when running (I am according to strava a very slow runner)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2105 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:42:33 pm »

Why?  You know you did the ride and you can put something in the ride description so you'd know later it was a recreation.
I'm not asking to criticise, I'm contemplating the same moral dilemma (10 years worth of rides in my case).  As Kim says I'd only be cheating myself, which I wouldn't do.  I know I did the rides.  So why does it feel wrong?

Having made a dozen or so of my old rides in cycle.travel I'm erring on the side of it's not wrong and I should get stuck in.  It's been a trip down memory lane reading my old notes & poring over the OS of my old stomping ground to make sense of them.

I have a few gaps here where i forgot to charge the garmin or it was a big camping ( small municipal campsites were ok )   and leaving a garmin in the toilets overnight to charge was dodgy. Don't think that i will use digital magic to replicate the lost sections, does not feel right.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2106 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:47:04 pm »
I guess one of the problems with using cluster for an exploration metric is its much easier to build cluster where the road/track/footpath network is quite dense, to get mine much further north is going to need a fair bit of mtb and hiking, where as to move it south is fairly easy.

« Reply #2107 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:23:52 am »
(I am according to strava a very slow runner)

Ha, I feel your pain. When I uploaded some old gps tracks the other day, strava was auto-classifying my old off road rides as runs.

At some point I’ll find my old computer and see if there’s some more files in there. There’s a Newcastle - Edinburgh tour misssing for a start.

« Reply #2108 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:46:33 am »
I guess one of the problems with using cluster for an exploration metric is its much easier to build cluster where the road/track/footpath network is quite dense, to get mine much further north is going to need a fair bit of mtb and hiking, where as to move it south is fairly easy.

Can I introduce you to Deano?

We all have challenges. Some people just take a bivvy and hike over every hill in the Dales with their bikes.

« Reply #2109 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:19:47 pm »
I live in Sheffield, so tiling the Peak District is very slow going and very challenging to ride at times. Also you need a good spell of dry weather so as not to damage some trails/be able to ride them. 
Only hiked a [short] loop once instead of using bike, though will go back to ride down it at some point. But on balance it's a wonderful place to have to ride and look at the very pretty scenery. Plus I love very technical riding. 

Although down South it is far easier and quicker to build up a large cluster/square, you do have the downside of living down South.  ;D
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2110 on: 20 June, 2021, 02:28:20 pm »
As for a cut-off date, doesn't VeloViewer do that already with annual stats and arbitrary filtering?
There's leaderboards for each year, but also for all time. Don't think there's a cut off for that. Other than before strava existed.

I don't think that's a limitation.  I've got rides from 2007 logged.
I was speaking more generally. There will only be a few folk uploading rides to Strava from before Stava existed
The Tile Collector

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2111 on: 20 June, 2021, 05:06:45 pm »
Well, it got flagged but not for any 'oooh that looks like a faked file' reasons, simply because the gotoes.org tool doesn't weight uphill vs downhill nearly heavily enough.  I ended up 8th on a climb in Worth, a laughable proposition.

I'm only interested in logging where I went (for VV) and the yearly totals, speed is irrelevant as I'm unlikely to ride those roads again.  So I've just redone it setting my average speed to half what I recorded on the day.  No more PRs and I'm now 2315th on the climb, a far more likely ranking.  Even so I've set it to followers only which removes it from public rankings.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2112 on: 20 June, 2021, 05:54:53 pm »
That's a sensible approach.
The Tile Collector

citoyen

« Reply #2113 on: 20 June, 2021, 06:24:47 pm »
Well, it got flagged but not for any 'oooh that looks like a faked file' reasons, simply because the gotoes.org tool doesn't weight uphill vs downhill nearly heavily enough.

Interesting!

I decided to try using gotoes to fix my recent broken ride. Bit of a convoluted process because it was the middle section of the ride that was missing, but it seems to have worked. The bit where the made-up segment merges with the real log is a bit wonky, and as a result it has given me a time of 3 seconds for a 150m segment, but I've got the ride set to private, so it won't show up on any leaderboards.

As a result, I've filled in six tiles (that I legitimately rode through!) and increased my max cluster by 16.

Still feels a bit wrong but... wevs.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2114 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:01:56 pm »

Can I introduce you to Deano?

We all have challenges. Some people just take a bivvy and hike over every hill in the Dales with their bikes.
I mean I clocked off a fair whack of Fife tiles without even knowing about tiles, north of Dundee I've just got the odd northwards line through a parent nothingness.

I first became aware of deano on my first audax, the port navigation and his other worldly dedication to cycling.

I can't be arsed going up glas maol again either...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2115 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:34:03 pm »
GPSies can create gpx files that Strava will accept.

Ah, it seems that GPSies has been consumed by AllTrails and I can't see how to make a Strava compliant GPX on that site  :demon:

« Reply #2116 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:34:55 pm »
Long-term thinking is starting to reap dividends, clusterage is up to 6341.

Looks like our clusters are now meeting up as top of my cluster moves above line of the Humber Estuary. I suspect/hope our squares may overlap too at some point.

The Tile Collector

« Reply #2117 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:41:34 pm »

Slow progress, but a coastal walk today from Charmouth to Seatown/Chideock. Over Golden Cap, and ticking off some coastal tiles!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2118 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:09:05 pm »

Today I went out on a training ride to Almere. In so doing I bagged 7 new tiles. This increased my cluster by 20 to 1716... yet my tile count went up by just 4. from 11158 -> 11162...

Not quite sure how that happened...

Before:

After:

Some maths is weird somewhere...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #2119 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:01:15 am »
On a visit to family in SW Scotland last week I managed to get some rides in to fill in some holes in my very modest collection of tiles .  Still plenty to do on future visits.

Tiles = 327 (+26)
Max Sq = 8 (+2)
Cluster = 134 (+58)

SW Scotland tiles by rfwatson, on Flickr

It was the first time I had used the VV Explorer app and found it invaluable to confirm I was in the square when wandering about in clearfell forestry and when scrambling on the rocky foreshore of Kirkcudbright Bay.  Highlight of the trip was finding a very small deer fawn at the track side.

Deer Fawn cropped by rfwatson, on Flickr

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2120 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:51:02 am »
I thought that the Explorer Tile number was the measure of how much I've explored. I know that moving house has contributed to my cluster score being higher but eventually don't we all reach the point where every ride begins with a ride through places we've already been? The higher the cluster or explorer number then surely ratio will get closer to 1:1

I used to get excited about various leaderboards on VV, but now I rarely look. What Explorer has contributed to my riding is an intentionality to finding places I've never been before and the rewards of this have been wonderful.

I also like that I can show my parents a heatmap of places I've been. Although I wish I had the time I did LEJOG shown, I'm not going back to recreate it manually. Perhaps I'll ride it again but with more pub stops next time.

« Reply #2121 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:37:00 am »
What Explorer has contributed to my riding is an intentionality to finding places I've never been before and the rewards of this have been wonderful.

This is so true.  I also use it a lot for walking, kayaking etc as well as I do tend to seek out remoter areas that I can't always get to by bike.

citoyen

« Reply #2122 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:37:53 am »
Although I wish I had the time I did LEJOG shown, I'm not going back to recreate it manually. Perhaps I'll ride it again but with more pub stops next time.

One thing I'm really pleased about is having my LEJOG on Strava. And because of the various audaxes I've done crisscrossing the country, I have an unbroken link of tiles all the way back to home (just need to get up to Cape Wrath to get all four 'corners' of mainland Britain). Then I'll have to go back and do LEJOG by a more circuitous route to pick up enough ephemeral tiles to make it part of my max cluster...

« Reply #2123 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:44:40 am »

What Explorer has contributed to my riding is an intentionality to finding places I've never been before and the rewards of this have been wonderful.

This ^^

It also gets me out of the rut of riding the same routes over and over and on days when I can't think of where to go, it gives me a destination.

I also quite like the geeky completeness of filling in the gaps, it's very satisfying.

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #2124 on: 21 June, 2021, 12:12:28 pm »
I've always had a thing about 'new roads' and never understood people who manage the same route every month of the year. VV just gives me a clearer picture of where those new 'roads' are.

I'm feeling desperate for a holiday- and it's not to be not-at-work, it's to see somewhere NEW.