Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356329 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2725 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:03:41 am »
Yes, I think long trousers & sleeves plus a low (spring) tide after a period of low rainfall might be needed to get far enough out into the reed beds.  Was being at Kingoodie at low tide by accident or design?

« Reply #2726 on: 03 July, 2023, 11:01:33 am »
Was being at Kingoodie at low tide by accident or design?

By design.  I do try to get low tide tiles when one is available.  If it had been a high tide weekend, I'd do an inland route.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2727 on: 03 July, 2023, 11:46:44 am »
Yesterday I got the two "inaccessible" tiles on the Den Helder navy base, gotta love fleet days  :) I did "get lost" to grab the 2nd tile, but no-one bothered to ask what I was doing way off the quays that were open for the public  ;D

« Reply #2728 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:17:00 pm »
I had a look at that Errol one from the path too, but I was hoping for something just a bit more welcoming!!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2729 on: 14 July, 2023, 07:36:34 pm »
First max square and cluster action for ages! 8 new tiles today increased the cluster by 24 to 2140. The max square remains at 23 and I have 4 of them still.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2730 on: 15 July, 2023, 06:36:30 pm »

Finally some progress. A single 70k ride connected my cluster up to get it all the way to Belgium. My cluster now spans 3 countries. (Getting to Luxembourg for a fourth will be quite a challenge). Woo.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2731 on: 16 July, 2023, 09:19:40 pm »
First max square and cluster action for ages! 8 new tiles today increased the cluster by 24 to 2140. The max square remains at 23 and I have 4 of them still.

vv_230714 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #2732 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:17:38 am »
an extended commute home from the office. 60 miles through the depths of North West London, added 38 tiles. Did a bit of freestyling to pick up a couple more that I'd not planned into the route, but turned off the A40 cyclepath too early and missed the Greenford tile. Question now is do I plan that one into another big tile bagging route, or pick it up on a short commute home?

« Reply #2733 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:58:46 pm »
Went on holiday without bike to Galicia and Porto.  Walked around a lot getting 85-90 tiles.  The interesting thing was noticing the difference in size of the tiles- took 20 mins to walk across a tile rather than 15 in Scotland.  Good thing was that there were roads/paths in all the tiles I visited- very different to where I am targeting in Scotland.

Also have a cluster of about 150 in Norfolk after another visit, square there is 9x9 and tiling is much easier there, though Marham will soon put a stop to expansion to the SW.

Main totals are tiles 4854, square 20X20, cluster = 1786

« Reply #2734 on: 28 August, 2023, 07:26:47 pm »
RAF Marham isn't an impossible tile, is it? Hah, but it is in line with RAF Lakenheath...

« Reply #2735 on: 29 August, 2023, 08:34:06 am »
RAF Marham isn't an impossible tile, is it? Hah, but it is in line with RAF Lakenheath...
Presume you mean this one.

It's actually pretty easy, although I'm not speaking from experience. But look here -

The corner of the tile is outside the perimeter fence.

Ride up here, walk to the fence at the right point, walk back, job done.

« Reply #2736 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:21:25 am »
As for me, a moderate ride yesterday finished a cluster join I'd been working on.

Et voila, Lon-Done.

If you want to put a metric on this endeavour, I'd suggest the greatest straight line distance contained in a cluster (the straight line doesn't have to be entirely within the cluster).
So this one's at 218 km, from Uplyme to London Cannon Street.

Zed43

« Reply #2737 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:45:33 am »
On the Dutch cycle forum we use the distance calculated by google maps using shortest "walking" path as a metric for this. example

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2738 on: 30 August, 2023, 01:34:20 am »

I'd say number of countries your cluster includes would be a good metric too...

J
--

« Reply #2739 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:24:30 am »

I'd say number of countries your cluster includes would be a good metric too...

J
Do the nations of the United Kingdom count?

Also a walk around Rome could easily make a 2-country cluster :) Then a spindly thing could nab San Marino, Monaco, France...

« Reply #2740 on: 30 August, 2023, 12:07:31 pm »
I did a 3.country ride.with my daughter around the Eastern end of the Bodensee. Could easily add Liechtenstein and have just created  a  200km there and back route from Lindau that creates a cluster over 4 countries.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2741 on: 30 August, 2023, 02:30:04 pm »

Ah, but those aren't your max cluster are they ?

In the multi country rides. My max currently is 4 in one ride (lu, be, de, NL). I recently tried to do 5 in one, but scratched at 165km cos I was fed up and didn't fancy another 90km it headwinds in the rain. I plan on a second attempt tho.

But it take a bit of work to get my cluster firstly down the Limburg, then across the Ardennes to Luxembourg. So I think for now 3 is good going. I'm guessing Ivo has 4. And I can't remember where Zed's cluster stops...

J
--

« Reply #2742 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:49:58 pm »

In the multi country rides. My max currently is 4 in one ride (lu, be, de, NL). I recently tried to do 5 in one, but scratched at 165km cos I was fed up and didn't fancy another 90km it headwinds in the rain. I plan on a second attempt tho.

But it take a bit of work to get my cluster firstly down the Limburg, then across the Ardennes to Luxembourg. So I think for now 3 is good going. I'm guessing Ivo has 4. And I can't remember where Zed's cluster stops...

J

I have 3 countries at the moment (NL, DE and BE), but are only 2 tiles short of France.

Zed43

« Reply #2743 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:25:35 pm »
My cluster stops in Antwerp (so NL / DE / BE). I did have a week planned this spring to extend to Dunkirk but my (winter)shoes got thoroughly soaked on the first day and I abandoned while I still had an easy "escape" to a Dutch train station.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2744 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:07:08 pm »
Is there a tool to tell you how many tiles a planned GPX will yield?  I don't need to account for already obtained tiles, just a simple 'this GPX crosses X tiles'.

I could upload it of Strava & VV then delete afterwards but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2745 on: 01 September, 2023, 01:32:10 pm »
You can upload a GPX here: https://veloviewer.com/routes/0

I think you will have to count the tiles manually.

Zed43

« Reply #2746 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:58:02 pm »
statshunters.com will count the (new) tiles of a route you upload.

« Reply #2747 on: 01 September, 2023, 02:59:15 pm »

J
This would be a challenge. But, I mean, not completely impossible. ;D

Now, just need to talk Eurotunnel into allowing a sportive through the service bore for a significant anniversary.

Zed43

« Reply #2748 on: 01 September, 2023, 03:43:12 pm »
don't bother, no GPS signal in the tunnel  :P

« Reply #2749 on: 01 September, 2023, 03:48:34 pm »
don't bother, no GPS signal in the tunnel  :P
Nothing a distance sensor and the little python script I made for showing simulated virtual rides on the route loaded wouldn't fix  :)