Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 385854 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1600 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:15:52 am »
Anyone at Duxford  this weekend?
I plan to be there on Saturday.

I was tempted but unfortunately we have too much to do on the house. 'My' spitfire is in the 20+ Spitfire flypast which will be quite a spectacle
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1601 on: 20 September, 2019, 12:18:03 pm »
Jetfest at North Weald this coming weekend (27-29 Sept) might promise some interesting aviation around the M11 corridor though I don't see any mention of the Vampire that's stationed there but there is rumour of a Jaguar attending...  it's basically a glorified fly-in so no display flying, but might prove interesting nevertheless...

Confirmed aircraft list:
S=Static
F=Flying (Normal Operations)
T=Engine start and Fast Taxy
S&F = Static & Flying (Normal Operations

JetFest:
Bell UH-1 Huey (G-HUEY) S&F ✅
Hunting Jet Provost MK3 (G-BKOU) S&F ✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A (G-BWOT) S&F ✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk5A (G-BWGF) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk5B (G-BWSG) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A XM424 (G-BWDS) S (F-TBC✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.Mk3A XM479 (G-BVEZ) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T.4 XR673 (G-BXLO) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T5P XS230 (G-VIVM) S (F-TBC)✅
Hunting Jet Provost T52 (XS228 or G-PROV) S (F-TBC) ✅

BullFest:
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-CBFP) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BPCL) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-GGRR) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-CBEH) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-KDOG) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BULL) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-BHXA) S ✅
Scottish Aviation Bulldog (G-GRRR) S ✅

JP3 G-BWOT  (was XN459 at the time) is in my logbook. G-BKOU (XN637) is the adjacent production item to the JP3 I first flew solo (XN636). Two of the Chipmunks listed belong to friends of mine, and of the Bulldogs (on which I have around 1100 hours), G-KDOG (XX624) is notable for being the aeroplane in which I and my mate Nick Stein visited 70 airfields in and around Yorkshire on 8 May 1989 as part of the Dawn till Dusk competition, in which we won the Coventry Trophy and Pooley Sword.

« Reply #1602 on: 20 September, 2019, 12:35:55 pm »
That's not a bad list.

I flew several Chipmunk flights in the Air cadets before they were replaced by the Bulldog but we only got two flights a year if we were lucky. My 3822 is buried in a box somewhere, I'd have to see if I've flown any of those. Sadly it was my second 3822, I lost the first so the first two chippy flights I wrote in myself and I don't have the pilots signature or serial number for those. I only recall flying the Bulldog once or twice.

I went and did my Bronze and Silver gliding badges in Grob 109 Vigilants at Halton so went to the bottom of the list for powered flights in my squadron. Having said that the Vigilant flying was all powered anyway as the RAF at the time didn't let us switch the engines off on the 'gliding' courses.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1603 on: 20 September, 2019, 02:34:15 pm »
I did much the same, pre-bulldog days though.

Did my gliding course on the old Ventures at RAF Benson, and then did my 40 hours of Flying Scholarship on Cessna 150/152s. Didn't take it any further, as a PSO at the time.  I may have my old "desmond's" in a drawer somewhere.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Interesting or unusual planes ?
« Reply #1604 on: 21 September, 2019, 01:39:57 pm »
Four ME109s and six Spitfires chasing one another around in circles, with added aerial and terrestial explosions for effect. I’m at the Battle of Britain airshow at Duxford.

ETA - Later in the day, a mass flypast of 23 Spitfires. Which, as far as noise is concerned, is pretty impressive.
Would recommend.

TimC

« Reply #1605 on: 06 October, 2019, 05:32:39 pm »
Our new toy, taken by my mate Ian Black:

How it was done: Virgin Blog

« Reply #1606 on: 06 October, 2019, 06:10:38 pm »
Our new toy, taken by my mate Ian Black:

How it was done: Virgin Blog

Fantastic link there, thank you.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1607 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:12:02 pm »
Great read, I was thinking all along "that looks like a..." and read

"the Strikemaster is a development of the Jet Provost trainer that first flew in the 1950s."

Great pics, I've tried aerial photos myself during my air cadet days, not easy at all
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1608 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
I was kind of surprised they weren't using longer lenses. How close would be the planes be to each other during this exercise?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1609 on: 06 October, 2019, 09:44:25 pm »
A350......

This cow is small but near ;)

TimC

« Reply #1610 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:51:46 am »
I was kind of surprised they weren't using longer lenses. How close would be the planes be to each other during this exercise?

Not sure. I’ll ask Ian over the next day or two.

« Reply #1611 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:38:53 am »
On Saturday, for 50 minutes or so, this was me, in the rear seat, albeit flying it at times:
Click on the pictures to run the videos.

trim 11 by jurekb, on Flickr

Video 05-10-2019, 11 03 44 by jurekb, on Flickr

trim12 by jurekb, on Flickr

Trim44 by jurekb, on Flickr

Trim7 by jurekb, on Flickr

trim 17 by jurekb, on Flickr

Video 05-10-2019, 11 38 58 by jurekb, on Flickr

Click on the pictures to put them into motion.
Or

Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky

Photo 05-10-2019, 11 43 43 by jurekb, on Flickr

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1612 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:19:39 pm »
Blimey.  How fast are you going? Do you get a running commentary from the pilot?  What was that maneuver when it all went nbsiqe pomu at 1:11?  How long were you up for? I'.m guessing the trip was Biggin-Dover-Biggin.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1613 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:23:55 pm »
Awesome!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: glad I convinced you (although I'm guessing you didn't need much convincing). What did you think? Did you take the controls?

Interesting they do the camera from behind so you can see where you are going. My video in the Grace spit is pointed at my face throughout so all you can see is my silly grin for half an hour! I like the air to air, that's a nice piece of video. Mrs Trekker bought my flight and they didn't sell her the air-air camera plane option, I'd have to do it again to get that   ;)

I was watching 'Spitfire' again at the weekend and Geoffrey Wellum was right when he said you never forget a flight in a Spitfire!

« Reply #1614 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:43:41 pm »
Blimey.  How fast are you going? Do you get a running commentary from the pilot?  What was that maneuver when it all went nbsiqe pomu at 1:11?  How long were you up for? I'.m guessing the trip was Biggin-Dover-Biggin.
Couldn't tell you how fast, but I can tell you that you feel everything in this aircraft. In communication with the pilot at all times other than during take-off and landing. That maneuver  was us peeling off from the chase plane in which were my sister, her husband and a couple of my friends. a victory roll. After which I was given control of the aircraft and I flew us down to Cuckmere Haven. It is incredibly sensitive to controls, and you can operate it with literally just two fingers. The trip should've lasted 45 minutes, in reality we were up for something like 55 minutes.(The shortest 55 minutes of my life).
When we reached Cuckmere Haven, the Commander took over the controls and turned left. Keen students will have spotted Beachy Head lighthouse just under the left wingtip. We turned around just before we reached Eastbourne and whilst passing Beachy Head lighthouse for a second time the Commander executed a victory roll. Back inland via Cuckmere Haven I once again took the controls and flew us back to Biggin Hill, under instruction from the Commander, where he executed a surprisingly smooth landing. We were then given a tour around the workshops (It's the largest Spitfire restoration facility in the world) and were invited to avail ourselves of the lounge area to stay and observe as much as we wished. At which point we broke out the tinned G&Ts, Dianne Abbot stylee. We were there at ten in the morning, there was about half an hour of safety video to be watched, I think I was in the air at around 11:00, and the taxi didn't come to collect us until 14:15.

I have to say with out any hesitation whatsoever, that this is the most exhilerating thing I have ever done in my life. Way, way beyond any expectations I may've had, and worth every penny.
I showed the footage to my client this morning to which she commented that it is nice to have these once in a lifetime experiences.
To which I replied by asking 'What do you mean, once?'
I have every intention of repeating the experience.

« Reply #1615 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:46:35 pm »
Awesome!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: glad I convinced you (although I'm guessing you didn't need much convincing). What did you think? Did you take the controls?

Interesting they do the camera from behind so you can see where you are going. My video in the Grace spit is pointed at my face throughout so all you can see is my silly grin for half an hour! I like the air to air, that's a nice piece of video. Mrs Trekker bought my flight and they didn't sell her the air-air camera plane option, I'd have to do it again to get that   ;)

I was watching 'Spitfire' again at the weekend and Geoffrey Wellum was right when he said you never forget a flight in a Spitfire!

My Bold
I think you've summed it up there, very well.
I had a camera behind me as well as one facing me - as well as the one on the strut of the Sky Van.
In addition to the iPhones being brandished by my guests in the chase plane.

« Reply #1616 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:57:05 pm »
Cool. Who was the pilot?

I intend to repeat the experience as well although probably not a Spitfire. Ultimate Warbirds have a two seat Mustang and Me109. It would be interesting to compare. I've thought long and hard about going for my PPL but I'd never advance far enough to solo something like that so I think it's better to use the money every now and again and ride in something different each time.

« Reply #1617 on: 07 October, 2019, 02:14:56 pm »
Couldn't tell you how fast, but I can tell you that feel everything in this aircraft.

Oh and we did the victory roll in the Grace spit at 260mph and 280 to do a loop so i assume you were doing similar for that and around 180 in the level. They don't take the engines to anywhere near wartime boost levels to extend their life. I still can't imagine what full power would have been like in the day or even fighting a war in one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1618 on: 09 October, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »
Git!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1619 on: 09 October, 2019, 12:45:05 pm »
Couldn't tell you how fast

Forgot the Garmin?  Pah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1620 on: 09 October, 2019, 12:47:16 pm »
Git!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wot 'e said ^^^.

A Spit nearly put us off the road once. Air display near Edinburgh, us going past, missus driving, Spit comes roaring over hedge from left, I yell "Spitfire!" in surprise and her steering goes all wobbly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1621 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:04:49 pm »
BelugaXL on final into Saint Nazaire a couple of days ago as I was heading their. Ride past the airport but unfortunately it had already taken off and was climbing into the clouds, heck of a takeoff angle and climb rate!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1622 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:45:33 pm »
BelugaXL on final into Saint Nazaire a couple of days ago as I was heading their. Ride past the airport but unfortunately it had already taken off and was climbing into the clouds, heck of a takeoff angle and climb rate!
That's a beast.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1623 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:38:23 pm »
Errr...

IMG_4103_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1624 on: 11 October, 2019, 05:18:20 am »
The "People Who Park Like ....." thread is that --> way.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου