Author Topic: Tyre with a bulge  (Read 4822 times)

Tyre with a bulge
« on: 30 March, 2008, 11:37:11 pm »
Question

Just came back after cycling along the towpaths and I have discovered a bulge in one side of the tyre wall of the front tyre.

Yes the towpath was not in the best condition but as I did not attempt any jumps/hard impacts with the bike and there is no visible damage to the tyre wall or rims and the tyres have only done about 80 miles is it reasonable to presume the fault is a manufacturing fault?

Having ridden on rougher terrain I have never encountered this problem before.

The tyres are Schwalbe Marathons 26" x 2".

Before I contact the LBS I intend to refit the tyre to the rim to see if this has any effect but doubt it.

Paul

Re: Tyre with a bulge
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 06:05:00 am »
If you search back ages ago you will see I had a tyre thread on the old ACF that had a bulge.  It went spectacularly bang on me.
Not good at all.  Don't trust it.  Don't be a skinflint like I was back then and think you can keep riding a bit longer either.  I learnt that lesson.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:01:22 am »
A tyre will only bulge when the carcase is damaged. The sidewall rubber is holding it together, but possibly not for long.

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:02:55 am »
Thanks Grub that looked bad.

I have never had anything as bad as that other than a rim collapsing and piercing the tyre wall- my fault for not checking the rims.

I was posting this as I was wondering what response I will get from my LBS. as i say no visible signs of impact and I do not feel that the tyre was damaged by my riding it.

The tyre has no cut or puncture in this area.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:03:53 am »
Thanks Ian thats what I thought, but as I say I cannot see any damage to the tyre.

There does not seem to be any abrasion/scuff marks etc at this point or anywhere on the tyre as it is so new.

Paul

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:38:21 am »
Definitely a duff 'un, take it back.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
The damage is in the inside. The threads have given way, you will get a puncture.

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:45:55 am »
After 80 miles? Duff tyre. Take it back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:31:51 am »
thanks that what I hoped you would all say.

Paul

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 02:07:08 pm »
Duff tyre or the rim might be borked (that's what caused my bulgy tyre and ensuing blow-out).

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 03:30:45 pm »
A tyre will only bulge when the carcase is damaged. The sidewall rubber is holding it together, but possibly not for long.

Right enough. I noticed a horrible S-shaped bulge in my rear tyre after the York Arrow. No outward sign of damage, but inside the threads had frayed and parted company from the rubber.
It was "only" a Michelin Speedium, so not very expensive, but I would have expected more than the three or four hundred miles I got out of it. I've sent it back for Parkers to decide if it's a warranty issue. 

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:07:39 pm »
Removing the tyre of has revealed that the canvas from the inside of the tyre has parted company with the wire bead- causing the bulge.  :'(

No damage was present on the outside tyre wall and no damage to the rim of the wheel.

This is something that I have had in the distant past on road tyres that had done a 1000+ miles- not something I expected on a new tyre.

Have phoned my LBS today and they will take a look at it .

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
I'd be surprised if Schwalbe don't replace it themselves.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

Right enough. I noticed a horrible S-shaped bulge in my rear tyre after the York Arrow. No outward sign of damage, but inside the threads had frayed and parted company from the rubber.
It was "only" a Michelin Speedium, so not very expensive, but I would have expected more than the three or four hundred miles I got out of it. I've sent it back for Parkers to decide if it's a warranty issue. 
Update: Parkers sent a new replacement tyre, arrived today.  :thumbsup:

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2008, 12:48:33 pm »

This is exactly what I had on the Brompton last week.  Will post photos later if I remember.  Again it's a case of threads parting company from the rubber...