Author Topic: Shimano derailleur return spring  (Read 6075 times)

Shimano derailleur return spring
« on: 03 April, 2008, 11:19:56 am »
Can you replace the return spring(s) on a Shimano derailleur or is it time for a new one?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Shimano derailleur return spring
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:28:30 am »
Replacement springs used to be available, but a bit of searching teh internets suggests that this is no longer the case chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Becky

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:42:25 am »
Sidetrak's Powerspring used to be the standard replacement for Shimano rear derailleur springs.  Their website reads rather on the retro side but seems up to date.

XT and XTR springs were in stainless steel and stronger than the LX (and lower) equivalent, and consequently were worth holding onto even if the rest of the derailleur was worn out.

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:55:15 am »
Thanks Mr L and Becky. I should have specified that this refers to a standard high normal Ultegra long cage 9-speed. Most of what Google throws up on replacement sprngs seems to refer to low-normal MTB changers.

The exploded diagrams on the Shimano site show only the B-tension and P-tension springs, but I assume there is a low-to-high direction return within the parallelogram itself.

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2008, 12:11:17 pm »
Is it definitely the spring that's gone?  Reluctance to shift to a smaller cog can often be caused by stickiness in the cable, rather than by anything wrong with the return spring.  A new cable inner and outer might cure your problem - the curved bit of cable outer near the rear derailleur is a likely candidate for getting gunged up and obstructed.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:05:15 pm »
It's a new cable and outer but I will check that later, thanks Andrew. It's just a little slow, but does complete the change.