Author Topic: Calling Moulton owners - do I have a problem?  (Read 2579 times)

bikenerd

Calling Moulton owners - do I have a problem?
« on: 05 April, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
I've had a second hand Pashley Moulton APB since about this time last year.
I'm not convinced the suspension has ever been right.  It was serviced by Pashley about last August but I think it still has a problem.  Which is: when stopped and with the brake on, rocking the bike backwards and forwards causes the suspension column to move backwards and forwards as well, making the front end feel very loose.
When riding there's a tocking noise every so often which I'm convinced is the same problem.

Do I have a problem, or is this just how Moultons are?  I've only ever ridden my own! :)

Re: Calling Moulton owners - do I have a problem?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:24:14 pm »
Depends how bad it is! A little play is nothing to worry about. The plastic plunger inside is replaceable, obtainable from Pashley if you can't get it from a dealer. The size did change early in the APB's life, so you'll need to quote your frame number.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »
To answer my own question: having just disassembled the suspension, I can safely say that it is supposed to be like that!
The top of the rider height adjustment block has a ball on it and the nylon plug has a corresponding socket in it.  This allows freedom of movement in the horizontal plane between the nylon plug and the rider height block.
I've taken photos if anyone is interested?
Note for when reassembling: Moulton forks are not symmetrical, even though they look like they are.  There is an almost imperceptible curve away from the steerer and this should point towards the back of the bike.  I made the mistake the first time I reassembled them.   Doh!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2008, 02:09:50 pm »
We can never have too many nerdy photos of the guts of weird bikes.  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2008, 06:52:48 pm »
Here's the bit:

Here's the bike:

The suspension is exceedingly simple.  That part screws into the top of the front part of the leading link suspension and the spring in the steerer tube fits into the top of the nylon bushing.  And that's it!
I'm glad I took it to pieces as I plan on getting it resprayed next winter and now dismantling the suspension holds no fear! :)