Author Topic: Steam Ride SR 2016 + RAID PARIS 400km, 600km, 700km  (Read 13672 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Steam Ride SR 2016 + RAID PARIS 400km, 600km, 700km
« Reply #25 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
I hacked the AUK computer and put you all on Tims' "spam to do" list. Not really

« Reply #26 on: 07 October, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »
I hacked the AUK computer and put you all on Tims' "spam to do" list. Not really

Well, that's the only explanation received so far.

Had some PM traffic, but no explanation as to why I received an e-mail informing of the event or how my e-mail details came in the possession of the sender.

Anyone else received one or am I "The Chosen One"?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #27 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:02:22 pm »
You'll also be receiving other exciting emails such as;

"Congratulations, you have been chosen to receive a free psychic reading."

and

"You've been accepted by who's who."

Shortly.

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:56:28 pm »
I got the email but i have done  Steam rides in the past.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #29 on: 08 October, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »
Places are strictly limited and Group PERM's are intended for friends and acquaintances from my Steam Ride SR  :)

* Note to self: Show courtesy by asking if it's ok to add/remove from mailing list, instead of emailing my contacts list  :facepalm:
Might be easier, if those who do not want contacting, supply me their emails..  reverse-marketing LOL

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #30 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »
Have you done another Steam Ride perhaps??

I would not have been surprised to receive one saying something like "please don't bother entering"!

Can someone please inform me who Veloman is,  email & club too ??? 
Places are strictly limited and Group PERM's are intended for friends and acquaintances from my Steam Ride SR  ;D

Please note that I have had PM traffic with RideHard where I asked how he obtained my e-mail address.  Unfortunately, he has obfuscated and declined to reply to my simple request.  He now seeks further information that is quite irrelevant and I question why he wishes to know my name, club and e-mail address when he can simply respond to my PMs on this matter.  I can only assume he wishes to determine whether I can be categorised as a "friends and acquaintances".

So, RideHard, how about informing me, and others on this thread, of how you came to have my e-mail address when I have never entered any of your events?

Or shall I inform everyone?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #31 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:32:05 pm »
I got the email, but it wasn't on any email address I've used for AUK stuff.

Have you ridden "Straight out of Hackney" or any other Hackney rides VM ?

« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:38:00 pm »
Have you done another Steam Ride perhaps??

I would not have been surprised to receive one saying something like "please don't bother entering"!

Can someone please inform me who Veloman is,  email & club too ??? 
Places are strictly limited and Group PERM's are intended for friends and acquaintances from my Steam Ride SR  ;D

Please note that I have had PM traffic with RideHard where I asked how he obtained my e-mail address.  Unfortunately, he has obfuscated and declined to reply to my simple request.  He now seeks further information that is quite irrelevant and I question why he wishes to know my name, club and e-mail address when he can simply respond to my PMs on this matter.  I can only assume he wishes to determine whether I can be categorised as a "friends and acquaintances".

So, RideHard, how about informing me, and others on this thread, of how you came to have my e-mail address when I have never entered any of your events?

Or shall I inform everyone?

To be fair to RideHard, if you're asking him how he got your email address, he probably does need to know which email address is actually yours before he can answer, except in general terms. If you're veloman@veloman.com IRL, maybe he can take an educated guess, but if you use hardrider@hardriding.com he might need a nudge.

« Reply #33 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »
^^^^
No, I have not ridden any of those rides although I wanted to as they looked really good and had even gone to the effort of checking transport/accommodation etc, before I was informed of the diary clash.  I also like the look of the Steam Rides and was considering the logistics of riding them and was following the thread.  Then I checked my e-mail and was surprised to find an e-mail from RideHard even though I have never forwarded my e-mail to him by entering his events.  So I sent a PM asking how he obtained my e-mail address.

PMs to him have not resolved the matter as he has not provided an answer.  Instead he reverts to YACF to 'unmask' me and I question for what reason.  Perhaps I will not be riding any Steam Ride events even if I wish to.

« Reply #34 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:42:57 pm »
To be fair to RideHard, if you're asking him how he got your email address, he probably does need to know which email address is actually yours before he can answer, except in general terms. If you're veloman@veloman.com IRL, maybe he can take an educated guess, but if you use hardrider@hardriding.com he might need a nudge.

I think you know how he obtained my e-mail address.  Feel free to PM me if you are doubt and I can inform you.

« Reply #35 on: 08 October, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »

I think you know how he obtained my e-mail address.  Feel free to PM me if you are doubt and I can inform you.

PMd as no, I don't know, though I can think of several possibilities.

I'm assuming that the email I got from RideHard is either because I've entered a previous Steam Ride, or because I rode (part of) last year's ACH/ACB grudge match.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »
No email for me

Have ridden an ACH event (a couple - straight outta Hackney and Greenwich mean climb) so it is not coming from that channel.

I always find the steam rides hard to understand as there are soooo many options for distance, alternative route suggestions etc.  I never quite know what they are. Sometimes, less is more!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #37 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:33:43 pm »
No email for me

Have ridden an ACH event (a couple - straight outta Hackney and Greenwich mean climb) so it is not coming from that channel.

I always find the steam rides hard to understand as there are soooo many options for distance, alternative route suggestions etc.  I never quite know what they are. Sometimes, less is more!

I do like to offer an optional short Roubaix section or hill climb.. but to be honest I listen to feed back and some riders really appreciate them..  you can't please all the people all the time, but you can try   O:-)
I now keep these options, seperate to the Route sheet & gpx   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #38 on: 08 October, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »

Tim, I'll repeat this question.

Where did you get the email addresses that you sent your promotional email to?

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2015, 01:24:47 am »

The truth is, if this app is 1/2 as good as you've been makng out, then I don't want to land some poor unfortuanate organiser in similar trouble, with a minority of 1 or 2 individuals, even though they may be struggling to advertise their well planned events, and the recipient of those emails wouldn't have otherwise known of an event happening on their doorstep   ;D

However, I maybe coerced at the arrivee into divulging it's name  :P

PM Me with your Real Name & email (if you want on the e-mailing list or not) for the name of the 'APP' everyone is excited to hear of :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: 09 October, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
 ???

*cough*

Tim. You've had my views [other hat]elsewhere[/other hat]; you should know the general maxim here is "be excellent to each other"

Please answer, if you've not already done so, the questions regarding sources - by PM if you wish, or in open forum.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #41 on: 09 October, 2015, 02:33:11 pm »
Tim,

Well done on organising loads of events and for promoting them enthusiastically.
Thanks for sending me an email to let me know about your latest one.

If you've cut some corners on how you built your list, I think it's right that people shoud have the option to unsubscribe instantly, but think that hounding you is disproprtionate and, IMHO, a bit obsessive and not 'excellent' behaviour. 

« Reply #42 on: 09 October, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »

The truth is, if this app is 1/2 as good as you've been makng out, then I don't want to land some poor unfortuanate organiser in similar trouble, with a minority of 1 or 2 individuals, even though they may be struggling to advertise their well planned events, and the recipient of those emails wouldn't have otherwise known of an event happening on their doorstep   ;D

However, I maybe coerced at the arrivee into divulging it's name  :P

PM Me with your Real Name & email (if you want on the e-mailing list or not) for the name of the 'APP' everyone is excited to hear of :)

Tim, I don't have a clue what app (or 'APP') you're talking about, nor why you're suddenly talking about other organisers and events.

So far, the only clue you've given in answer to those asking where you derived your list is in a post up there^^^, which I *think* you've edited so it now says:
* Note to self: Show courtesy by asking if it's ok to add/remove from mailing list, instead of emailing my contacts list  :facepalm:
Might be easier, if those who do not want contacting, supply me their emails..  reverse-marketing LOL

It would, I think, have been polite to give a straight answer, especially if it's as simple as using your existing contacts list.

If you've cut some corners on how you built your list, I think it's right that people shoud have the option to unsubscribe instantly, but think that hounding you is disproprtionate and, IMHO, a bit obsessive and not 'excellent' behaviour. 

I think asking a straight question, and then repeating it when the response is not an answer but obfuscation, falls a little short of hounding.

In any case, although I'm not personally terribly bothered about getting an email from Tim, like iddu I've got another hat which makes me a little concerned about the sources he may have used.

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 09 October, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
Tim,

It does not do you any favours to not answer a direct question; it is questioned why you have sent an unsolicited marketing email to a member of this forum. They did not send their email address to you, nor did they sign up for any newsletters or marketing.

There are specific laws around this, which it seems you may have breached. We have to be excellent in the way we handle personal data, and do not use it in a way not previously agreed.

As you know I look after the LEL website. We have subscription details there as well as rider and volunteer details. It would be so easy to use that data in a way it wasn't intended. But we don't. We use it in line with our published privacy policy.  People are able to unsubscribe from LEL mailing lists at any time, and every newsletter has a clear and simple unsubscribe link. We do not share that data with third parties  except as stated, and that's only if you're a rider for validation and insurance purposes etc.

So please be excellent also, answer the straight forward questions being asked of you, and give people a clear option to be removed from your mailing list. Then in future ask if people would like to be on your mailing list, and give them an easy option to unsubscribe at any time.

I was fairly relaxed about the email, but I am concerned about your evasiveness here and unwillingness to be straight forward in your responses.  if as an organiser you need to find a better way to advertise your events, then surely that something for you to discuss with the auk board as to how they can help you and others in this regard.

Phil

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #44 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »
Promotion was via wix shoutout :                                    http://shoutout.wix.com/
As anybody who recieved email can concur..

My website is www.steamride.co.uk               aka:              sollesse.wix.com/
Contacts: collected from timsollesse@gmail.com

Good Luck promoting your events  using FREE Apps!!!

Email: timsollesse@gmail.com to unsubsribe

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:55:55 pm »
Thanks Tim.

So if someone like Veloman wants removing from the list, can they do that on the website or do they need to email you at the address in your post?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
Thanks Tim.

So if someone like Veloman wants removing from the list, can they do that on the website or do they need to email you at the address in your post?

Thank you Tim - I hope that answers people's questions.

2nd link in the blat was [unsubscribe]

« Reply #47 on: 09 October, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

Unfortunately, it does not answer my question:

We now have an answer informing us of how the e-mail/marketing blurb was distributed, namely by using WixShoutOut, but in order for the distribution to take place, you need e-mail addresses and I have never forwarded my e-mail address to RideHard (Tim).

It does not do you any favours to not answer a direct question; it is questioned why you have sent an unsolicited marketing email to a member of this forum. They did not send their email address to you, nor did they sign up for any newsletters or marketing.

There are specific laws around this, which it seems you may have breached. We have to be excellent in the way we handle personal data, and do not use it in a way not previously agreed.
My bold

So although we have been informed of the 'vehicle' used to distribute the unsolicited e-mails, we are still none the wiser as to how the e-mail addresses were obtained and I can only repeat that I have never sent any e-mail to the sender of the unsolicited e-mail.  So how come I'm on the distribution list and how has my e-mail address been obtained?

« Reply #48 on: 09 October, 2015, 05:23:12 pm »
Ah, so you harvested email addresses from your contact list? I can see why someone would do that, but it's a bit 90s. You're also likely to hack folk off, as you've discovered.

RideHard, It's dead easy to build a mailing list from a contact form on your website and to mail folk from that list. I've never used Wix, but mailchimp is great for a list of the size you probably use. You could even use your contacts to invite people to join your mailing list (though that's how the UK sees it - other European countries are a bit stricter on data protection than that.)

It's probably worth also spending a bit of time crafting a privacy policy to tell people what data you collect, how you use it, when you delete it, and how people can see (and get deleted) what you hold. AUK's policy is at http://aukweb.net/home/privacy/ and is perhaps a touch too concise. LEL's is at  https://londonedinburghlondon.com/privacy and is far too detailed.

I know all this might look like boring paperwork that gets in the way of putting events on, but it will set you up beautifully to build on interest in your events.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #49 on: 09 October, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »

Unfortunately, it does not answer my question:

:
(snipped)

TS>Contacts: collected from timsollesse@gmail.com

As given by alwyn, he's stated that the list was harvested from his Gmail history of e-mail correspondence.

Unless you want me to go and sit in his lap and twiddle his keyboard, you have to take that statement at face value.

Whether you two have communicated by e-mail in any shape or form is an off-board matter; he either provides evidence of prior e-mail content to you, or he doesn't.   If he can't / won't, then we'll revisit.

Tim, action please.