Author Topic: Wheels and cogs compatability  (Read 2644 times)

Wheels and cogs compatability
« on: 27 May, 2008, 10:18:55 am »
I have two fixed rear wheels, and intend buying a third today (Goldtec from Betd). The plan is to do some switching about between my Merckx, my track bike and reinstate my Raleigh as fixed to leave at my folks for the odd ride in the Midlands.

To that end, I've been googling to see if I can switch sprockets between wheels. Here's what I have and what I've come up with, and would be grateful if someone in the know could help me fill in some blanks, or correct me where I'm wrong. Ta!

Hub

Mavic (Ellipse wheel)
Maillard
Goldtec
  Sprocket

ISO
  ?
  Shimano (ISO?)
  Lockring

French metric 33x1.0mm
  French metric 33x1.0mm
  ISO
  Chainline

46mm
  ? (possibly 42mm)
  45mm

Another question: the Maillard hub is obviously somewhat more vintage than the other two. The wheel came with the track bike and has only been used on a velodrome (recently at least). Will the seals cope with outdoor use? Does it even have seals? Or are there more than one type of Maillard hub, some of which are fine and some not (ie get more info Paul)?

Cheers for any info

border-rider

Re: Wheels and cogs compatability
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:42:08 am »
The only Maillard fixed hubs I've seen have been the old cup'n'cone ones, which are fine as long as they are packed with grease. They were just about the only budget fixed hub at one time and loads of people used them through the winter - including me, until I got thoroughly sick of all the TLC they need to keep them functional.  I dunno if there were any high end or track-specific ones.

I might be a bit concerned about the Mavic track hub on a rainy day.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:50:12 am »
I might be a bit concerned about the Mavic track hub on a rainy day.

initially so was I, but it's done two winters commuting and is still pretty smooth, so I'm guessing the talk on t'internet of Ellipses being similar to Ksyriums may have some truth in it. The Ellipse is going onto the track bike, so no more nasty weather in its future. The Goldtec will be taking the strain on the Merckx road-fix from now on.

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »
There's a big table of chainlines and BB's on the London Fixed Gear and Single Speed forum, which is one place to look and a table of Hub and cog data on the Business Cycles web pages somewhere:
BUSINESS CYCLES: Track Components

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:45:10 am »
Sprocket threads are all the same, unless there's a weird French standard I don't know about.  Lockrings come in two types: Campagnolo and ISO (Phil Wood use Campag, Shimano use ISO).

Chainline can sometimes be adjusted crudely by flipping the sprocket round - depending on whether the two faces still meet the hub shoulder and the lockring neatly -  although on a used cog this will probably introduce a lot of noise because it's running the "wrong way".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:51:06 am »
Lockrings come in two types: Campagnolo and ISO (Phil Wood use Campag, Shimano use ISO).

Apparently not, according to this thread on LFGSS, in particular posts 7 and 8. Edit: actually posts 12 and 13. ::-)

Maillard Hub - London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Ribble have sold me a couple of 'french' lockrings yesterday, so we'll see if they fit on both the Mavic and Maillard hubs.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
The great thing about standards is there are so many of them  :D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.