Author Topic: Front Wheel Drive  (Read 6515 times)

Re: Front Wheel Drive
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2017, 12:08:33 pm »
The fleck is a very different beast as you don't use the handlebars for steering like you do on the cruzbike.  I could see that the cruzbike would have efficiency advantages and weight advantages over a standard laidback, plus you could use dynamic tension to push on the pedals using upper body/core beyond what you would on a traditional 'bent.  That said, not sure I would stump up a couple grand to find out if it works for me.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #26 on: 24 April, 2017, 05:34:21 pm »
Moving BB designs can feel quite weird to an experienced cyclist. Pedal steer can be significant sometimes.

That's the big difference I found - to the point where I could barely get thing moving. It wasn't long before 'no way on the open road' and 'death trap' starting ringing between my ears. Mind you, that was on a MBB homebuild...so hardly the best example with which to try things out. If rake, trail, head tube angles and steering geometry in general on a conventional dark side bike gets you wondering about how it all fits together, then how it all works on a MBB will send you bonkers.

Credit where credit's due though, these things are not just for car parks - I've seen several MBB's on all three PBP's I've done. I especially remember an interesting homebuild by a Belgium guy in 2007. He seemed to get round perfectly ok. As did LMT OTP in 2015 on his Vendetta. Fair play to 'em. Dual 700 wheels and a shorter chain? Got to be worth a go.

The homebuilders in France seem to like them quite a lot too.
Garry Broad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 24 April, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  "Just because someone's ridden PBP on one doesn't mean it's a good idea."   :D

LMT

« Reply #28 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  "Just because someone's ridden PBP on one doesn't mean it's a good idea."   :D

Any riding done on any form of recumbent is always a good idea. :)

LMT

« Reply #29 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:36:33 pm »
Moving BB designs can feel quite weird to an experienced cyclist. Pedal steer can be significant sometimes.

That's the big difference I found - to the point where I could barely get thing moving. It wasn't long before 'no way on the open road' and 'death trap' starting ringing between my ears. Mind you, that was on a MBB homebuild...so hardly the best example with which to try things out. If rake, trail, head tube angles and steering geometry in general on a conventional dark side bike gets you wondering about how it all fits together, then how it all works on a MBB will send you bonkers.

Credit where credit's due though, these things are not just for car parks - I've seen several MBB's on all three PBP's I've done. I especially remember an interesting homebuild by a Belgium guy in 2007. He seemed to get round perfectly ok. As did LMT OTP in 2015 on his Vendetta. Fair play to 'em. Dual 700 wheels and a shorter chain? Got to be worth a go.

The homebuilders in France seem to like them quite a lot too.

Indeed I did, they're good bikes, although you do have to forget about past experiences on recumbents because they do not ride like other bikes. Having put countless miles on an Optima Baron and Metaphysic I thought I'd handle the V without any issues but this was not the case. Although if you stick to a tried and tested method you can (like me) be riding the bike on the road within a couple of days. In a nutshell: Do some repeat coastings down a slight decline with you sitting up and your feet just above the floor, when getting the hang of this, repeat sitting back with your feet on the pedals. And then in an empty car park practise moving off and finally doing figure of eight drills. Although anecdotal mine is the best recumbent I've ridden, you put the power down and the response is there unlike other recumbents which feel spongey when pedalling hard.

The Parkers have taken some stick with their (what one might say) over zealous selling of the brand over on BROL but give credit where credits due they have broken records and won races. Jason Perez won overall the Californian triple Crown last year, beat Marko Baloh in a double century race recently and they have entered RAAM with a four person team this year. They even took time to test in a wind tunnel not long ago, some interesting results and goes to show how fast recumbents really are when compared to DF bikes.

http://cruzbike.com/blog/2016/09/16/race-report-jason-perezs-2016-california-triple-crown-victory/
http://cruzbike.com/blog/2017/03/31/race-report-jason-perezs-solvang-spring-double-century/
http://cruzbike.com/blog/2017/02/06/cruzbike-at-the-a2-wind-tunnel/

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
Interesting read. He sure can maintain a high power average, at least in my eyes.

« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:05:55 pm »
The thing to remember with MBB (and other fwd designs but MBB appears to have a worse reputation) is that weight distribution is critical if you want to get up moderate inclines or stop in the rain. Wheelspin can be a problem.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #32 on: 29 April, 2017, 08:10:00 am »
Those fast cruzbikes are lovely. If I wasn't so unfit and suchlike I would splash out on one and start audaxing again.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: 29 April, 2017, 12:25:34 pm »

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea either.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #34 on: 29 April, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
Interesting read. He sure can maintain a high power average, at least in my eyes.

Yes - he is obviously in top shape. Plus he has really worked out how to use the recumbent advantage to maximum effect. Blasting the flats and downs, splitting the bunch, emptying the legs of the competition. He also seems to be able to uphill faster than many uprights, which is unusual.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 29 April, 2017, 03:49:42 pm »
I hear they are a revelation to ride because the drive is always in the same direction as the steering.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.