Author Topic: Best bent for a tourer  (Read 5545 times)

Re: Best bent for a tourer
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »
I rarely use the train, what I do, quite often, is chuck everything into the back of my very small car (Ford KA) and then spend 4 or 5 days somewhere new before setting off and repeating the action.   I do have a bike rack which I use occasionally.   Has anyone used something like that for a 'bent?   I guess there won't be a problem with a folder.

I might add, that I'm starting to get really quite worked up about this, thanks to all the help.

« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2010, 08:30:34 pm »
I don't own a car, but the buyer of forementioned Nazca Pioneer turned up an Audi TT (first model). I didn't think it would fit. It did, after removing both wheels and the rack. And I think also the rear mudguard.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »
Not owning a car, that's something I've only thought about superficially, but most recumbents are, by nature, a single rigid pole with stuff attached, which is going to be significantly more awkward to fit in a car than an upright (which tend to have useful bendy bits and removable wheels that change the overall length).  If it works at all, it's going to be either with the aid of a big car, or some time-consuming spanner work.

I can't imagine the majority of bike carriers are very recumbent-friendly, either.  Roof-mounted is likely to be the best approach.

There's a lot to be said for folding, in this context.  The nifty fold of the newer Trices, while perhaps suboptimal for trains, is clearly a massive win for sticking-it-in-the-back-of-a-car purposes.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:41:42 pm »
One advantage to trikes:  roof bars and a three toe straps.  Though I understand some people dispense with the roof bars and use a big roll of gaffer tape  ;D

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #29 on: 09 August, 2010, 01:21:11 am »
I've had my Ice S trike on a rack on the back of a Ka
It was about twice the height  ;D

« Reply #30 on: 09 August, 2010, 07:29:40 am »
i have had my trice part folded on the rear bike rack of kevins d teks car  :). with the new fold it might be posable to fit it in back seat area of your ka  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 09 August, 2010, 07:55:12 am »
I got a Trice Q into the passenger seat of a Smart Roadster....  :smug:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim

« Reply #32 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:11:21 am »
SWB 'bents will generally fit upon standard bike racks on cars - take the seak off and my SMGT fits on a normal roof rack mount - the swing arm clamps the main tube and the wheelbase is the same as a diamond frame. Equally I have seen it mounted upon a rear carrier.

markg0vbr

« Reply #33 on: 10 August, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »
Bacchetta Giro or a trike.
i have the giro 26x26 light and fast i use home made seat bags with mine.
Sign in to Yahoo!
£5 per bag from lidle.
for heavy or long distance touring the trice q is the stead of choice, the most relaxed i have ever been on a bike. 

robD

« Reply #34 on: 11 August, 2010, 11:06:23 pm »
Well personally I really like my Challenge Mistral, I got it from David at Laidback, who I'd recommend without hesitation.   With the voyager rack it could carry four panniers though I can get everything I need for camping in two.

I do sometimes wonder whether larger wheels might make me a bit quicker over rough ground, but it's a full-sus bike and it's very confortable.

Last year I went from Beaune to Barcelona on it, via the Massif Central, and this year from Auxerre to Agen, both 1000km+ trips that the bike handled confortably.

http://www.x-alt.com/blog/showevent.php?eventid=25
http://www.x-alt.com/blog/showevent.php?eventid=27

Rob

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #35 on: 14 August, 2010, 11:06:55 am »
Great trip reports, robD - and fabulous photos.  :thumbsup:

Thanks very much  ;D
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »
I do sometimes wonder whether larger wheels might make me a bit quicker over rough ground, but it's a full-sus bike and it's very confortable.

I ride a Toxy ZR (20" wheels) and a Speed Ross (rear 700C) and the former is very dodgy on rough ground at speed, it rattles and skates around and, if cornering, jolts the bike upright so you can't take the corner - had a few near misses because of that.  The SR is fine even with no sus so long as you don't use narrow tyres.  So probably the answer is Yes.

« Reply #37 on: 16 August, 2010, 07:30:38 pm »
Hmmm!   Spoiled for choice I think.   I've been away for a week and as I was heading to Thetford, popped into Little Thetford to visit D-Tek only to find it closed.   My fault, really, should have phoned ahead.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #38 on: 17 August, 2010, 08:10:21 am »
Hmmm!   Spoiled for choice I think.   I've been away for a week and as I was heading to Thetford, popped into Little Thetford to visit D-Tek only to find it closed.   My fault, really, should have phoned ahead.

Kevin does ask that you phone ahead.  He seems to open on request.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #39 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »
I'd say either a Catrike Expedition or if you a want a two wheel, an Optima Lynx.