Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
If you are trying to recover files from an unreadable drive, than I'm not sure adding a Linux machine to the mix is going to help much.

If you install a fresh Win11 on a new SSD, then go ahead and do that.

Not sure what you mean when you say it 'doesn't work in the laptop but works in the caddy'.
You might need to explain exactly what you mean by that.

If it works in the caddy, then just plug the caddy into the freshly-installed machine as a secondary drive, and copy the files over?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 05:36:43 pm »
The Bones of You - Elbow
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 05:35:41 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/19:
59/59 words (+17 bonus words)
📖 In the top 7% by bonus words
🔥 Solve streak: 4
Audax / Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 05:34:41 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 05:28:25 pm »
Wings Of Desire ~ Wishbone Ash
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 05:23:16 pm »
Silly Love Songs - Wings
OT Knowledge / Re: Old laptops
« Last post by velosam on Today at 05:22:20 pm »
I have a couple of old laptops, that I want to get rid of. Is there a way of recycling them ? My concern is with the hard drives and what personal information may or may not be on them.  The easiest solution is pull out the hard drives and scrap them, but it seems very wasteful.

Thanks

Are they viable as modern laptops as I need to replace a couple of win7 laptops that are very much passed their best.

these were way older and I did ask if they would wipe and they said yes. I have not used them in years and definately not for any online banking but I did for emails and I know I have changed my passwords. Hopefully be OK, too late now if not
OT Knowledge / Re: hand luggage rules soft rucksacks
« Last post by velosam on Today at 05:20:27 pm »
I've not had problems in recent times.

Carrying a rucksack that just fits in the 'cage', plus a small backpack laptop bag.

If the laptop bag will squish under the seat in front of you, they don't seem too bothered.

Great, thanks, one thing less to worry about and I can carry food it in
« Last post by Mobbsy on Today at 05:16:00 pm »
This is Not a Love Song - PiL
The Knowledge / Re: Routes around Ely?
« Last post by sparklyfish on Today at 05:15:32 pm »
Aldreth causeway - do tell.  I've only ever got to Haddenham and turned the other way towards Grunty Fen.

Grunty Fen is special in its own way, isn't it... Aldreth Causeway: there's a byway from near Rampton to Aldreth. The section from north of the river (there's a bridge!) to Aldreth is labelled on the OS map as "Aldreth Causeway", but the bit from near Willingham is fun. It doesn't look particularly special from my photos, but I like it:

and there's a climb into Aldreth! Which is quite exciting in its own way. You can see the wind turbines at Balsham clear as anything - suddenly becomes clear why they're there, catching all that lovely wind off the Fens.
There's a lovely description here: https://ericwark.com/2020/11/29/the-aldreth-causeway/

I am loosely planning on leading a CTC ride along it this year - hopefully a Thursday sometime in May, before the grass gets too high, but I haven't got anything in the diary yet. Will update here nearer the time in case anyone is interested in joining us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10