Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 59632 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #100 on: 13 March, 2021, 01:27:50 pm »
In mitigation there will likely be at least one still photo of Kim.

I'm betting that's either:
- Sucking John Lucian's wheel
- Squinting at the official BHPC jam-filled Babbage engine with the "ohdog what now" expression
- Looking suspiciously like I've just come last in a MTB race at dePreston
- Winning TEH FISH

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #101 on: 13 March, 2021, 01:58:55 pm »

- Squinting at the official BHPC jam-filled Babbage engine with the "ohdog what now" expression
- Winning TEH FISH

The raw material does indeed contain “The Squinting at the Jam-Filled Babbage-Engine” and “Thee Clutching ov thee FISH” but also your good self riding Ye Red Baron with a grimly determined expression and no John Lucian.  Mr Comp. Sec. Hamilton will be extolling the virtues of the timing SCIENCE though, so join in the live chat and baffle him with Kimspeke :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 13 March, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »

- Winning TEH FISH

The raw material does indeed contain “The Squinting at the Jam-Filled Babbage-Engine” and “Thee Clutching ov thee FISH” but also your good self riding Ye Red Baron with a grimly determined expression and no John Lucian.  Mr Comp. Sec. Hamilton will be extolling the virtues of the timing SCIENCE though, so join in the live chat and baffle him with Kimspeke :P

It's okay, I've been building a clock all winter and have forgotten how the rest of the timing system works.  There's only room for so much compu-guff in my tiny BRANES.  Also, programming computers to tell time is a bit like being a machinist who doesn't trust any of their flat surfaces.  At one point I wasted a whole bike ride meditating on the correctness or otherwise of "-0 seconds" before concluding that while it made sense, it wasn't the right kind of sense...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #103 on: 13 March, 2021, 07:32:38 pm »
Coming up on the next series of The Infinite Monkey Cage: Kim and floppy-haired cleverness syphon Professor B Cox debate -0 seconds in relation to the Big Bang and eddies* in the space-time continuum.

* and Eddie's sofa

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:43:19 pm »
The one thing we do know is that -0 seconds happened in January 1970.  Or was it December 1969?  I expect everyone was too drunk to tell.  [Especially Eddie - Ed.]

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #105 on: 13 March, 2021, 10:20:20 pm »
The water eddies 'round the rushes
And Eddie's round at my house, insane.

https://youtu.be/dl7c9eVHP8c
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:05:50 pm »
And the stream is now live:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oijf6afNwlo

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #107 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:53:21 pm »
My bit not as cringe-provoking as I feared ;D

« Reply #108 on: 14 March, 2021, 07:12:47 pm »
I am disappointed that you did the interview in a human suit.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #109 on: 14 March, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »
The avatar version only come out when I visit Fort Larrington, in Surrey :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #110 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:37:41 pm »
Nice cameo by 2D Thomas.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #111 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:02:29 pm »
That’s the replica 2D Thomas though; it is thought that the original is currently in Eureka CA in the custody of my grate frends Al'n'Alice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #112 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »
Thred bump as we've just opened online sign-on for our first race of the 2021 season on Sunday 16th of May.  As numbers are limited by COVID-19 restrictions, BHPC members get first dibs (you'll have to be logged in to the BHPC shop to see the booking page), and we'll be opening up sign-on to non-members from the beginning of May.

As with last year, the COVID-secure rules mean that we can't have non-participating spectators present (carers, adult guardians, and race organisers excepted), but we welcome anyone who wants to have a go, regardless of their ability or type of machine.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #113 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:05:22 pm »
Anyone need a “team manager” ;D

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #114 on: 17 April, 2021, 06:50:49 am »
Me go.   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #115 on: 17 April, 2021, 01:05:57 pm »
Quite a lot of people are, if my list is anything to go by (which it should be).  It seems entirely possible that we'll reach the limit before opening registrations to non-members.

Meanwhile, barakta was pleased to come 4th in Multitrack at Fantasy Stourport yesterday as I instructed the jam-filled babbage engine on the finer points of scoring tandem riders.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #116 on: 17 April, 2021, 02:00:00 pm »
Seems like Team BaraKim-ta are mopping up the medals. All that's left is... tandem!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 17 April, 2021, 02:04:38 pm »
We haven't really had enough riders to justify a tandem class.  What I have done, in anticipation of tandem antics in the 2021 season, is fettled the new scoring system to understand two riders with the same lap times.  Previously it's had them finish one after another, which is suboptimal as it may lead to disgruntled stokers, and The Stoker Is Always Right.

(I had a comedy bug where it was only allocating points to even-numbered places for a bit (I reckon this would be a fun event to run).  And I've jibbled it to throw enlighteningly sarcastic error messages if you forget to tell CrossMgr the length of the track, rather than barfing out with ArrayIndexOutOfBounds, which isn't the sort of thing you want to deal with in a tent in the pissing rain while a worrying puddle forms under the power supply[1].)

I will attempt to make barakta earn some real BHPC points in something eventually.  At this rate, it may have to be Arm-powered   :-\

[1] Disappointingly, this sort of thing isn't what the industry refers to as 'Extreme programming'.

« Reply #118 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:47:33 pm »
I'm in to (hopefully) give it a go. Got to sort out a chainring guard and better mirrors for the Trice. And look in the cupboard to see if I've got some better legs than the ones I've currently got fitted. And clear a (hopefully minor) lurgy that's kept me off the bike for the last couple of weeks until a gentle pootle yesterday.

No way I'm going to be competitive, but this one is fairly local to me - I used to commute pretty much past Hillingdon on a daily basis - so it seemed rude not to turn up and just have a bit of fun.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #119 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:05:31 pm »
No way I'm going to be competitive, but this one is fairly local to me - I used to commute pretty much past Hillingdon on a daily basis - so it seemed rude not to turn up and just have a bit of fun.

:thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 19 April, 2021, 06:09:42 pm »
Cor, sold out already.  Hopefully we'll have some more racing in the North-West later in May. 

« Reply #121 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:44:56 am »
Looking at kit, there is a suggestion on the BHPC website that elbow protectors are worn if on a non-hard shell faired bike. Is that also the case for trikes? I'll be on a Trice XL.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #122 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:50:11 am »
Looking at kit, there is a suggestion on the BHPC website that elbow protectors are worn if on a non-hard shell faired bike. Is that also the case for trikes? I'll be on a Trice XL.
Only if you intend falling off/ out of , your trike.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #123 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:52:36 am »
Question is , do we all wear our YACF jerseys, and make it an ‘unofficial forum gathering/ team event’?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #124 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:51:04 am »

It's merely a suggestion.

Personally, I didn't bother when I raced[1] on barakta's ICE Sprint last season, but do use them on the Red Baron.  Combination of how likely I am to fall off, and relative speed through corners.

Elbows, hands and hip/arse are the classic falling-off-a-recumbent-bike injuries.  I reckon mitts are sensible on anything.  I recall one of our members endorsing goalkeeper's shorts as hip protection, though they're hardly aero and a potential bee hazard.

[1] I use the term loosely.