Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 61885 times)

Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #200 on: 04 April, 2022, 12:10:37 am »
Yes, D, I saw those and they are possibilities, just slightly trickier for train trips (always supposing that there are any trains by then!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #201 on: 04 April, 2022, 08:30:36 am »
Photies!!1! Here!!eleven! Clicky...

Some good photos Mr L. This one has a Dan Dare, exciting past in the glorious future, air:
P4020648 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #202 on: 04 April, 2022, 10:08:47 am »
Thanks to the organisers for making it an enjoyable day  :thumbsup:. Next one Stourport? I'll look into bringing the P-38. It occurs to me that if it might fit in the car upside down with the wheels off. Just have to sort out a chainring guard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #203 on: 04 April, 2022, 12:28:30 pm »
Photies!!1! Here!!eleven! Clicky...

Some good photos Mr L. This one has a Dan Dare, exciting past in the glorious future, air:
<snip>

Shortly after that photo was taken the Notso (#36) passed the Yellowdonkey (#96) and nailed down second place by a considerable margin.  Now that Notso pilot Liam Goodman has started to adapt to the revised handling of the new-for-22 head-in bodywork it is hoped that the glorious future may include “being able to keep up with Steve Slade for more than half a lap”.  Future enhancements include a fin around the rear wheel, but this will include the building of a new and skinnier solid disc wheel so might take a while.  My grate frend Mr Woolrich assures me he has all the materials…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #204 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:04:55 pm »
What is going on with number 139 (I think it is) and why does number 45 bring his own Sheffield stand with him?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #205 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:18:47 pm »
What is going on with number 139 (I think it is) and why does number 45 bring his own Sheffield stand with him?  ;)

159 is Jemma on Festina, which was for whatever reason without its shed-fettled fairing.  The extra tubes normally support the correx.

45 is a rear-wheel-steering tilting trike.  Apparently it was finished the night before.  It made it round the track for several laps in the first race, though I'm not sure what happened after that.  Anyone know?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #206 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:34:42 pm »
I may well be in Stourport that day anyway (I grew up there and Mother Dibdib still lives there). Is it open to gawking onlookers spectators?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #207 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:55:24 pm »
I think the main reason for Jemma not using the fairing is coz she can't see out of it.  There are a couple of clear plastic panels in it but they seem to be remarkably ineffective.  Doubly so if it’s raining.

@Dibdib: spectators welcome, though we do ask you not to wear a lime-green mankini or a BEAR suit, or let off distress flares.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 04 April, 2022, 04:00:05 pm »
@Dibdib: spectators welcome, though we do ask you not to wear a lime-green mankini or a BEAR suit, or let off distress flares.

Except when chasing errant dog-emptiers off the track at Hillingdon.

« Reply #209 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:11:26 pm »

159 is Jemma on Festina, which was for whatever reason without its shed-fettled fairing.  The extra tubes normally support the correx.

45 is a rear-wheel-steering tilting trike.  Apparently it was finished the night before.  It made it round the track for several laps in the first race, though I'm not sure what happened after that.  Anyone know?
Thank you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 22 April, 2022, 03:12:30 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #211 on: 27 April, 2022, 09:44:37 pm »
Meanwhile I see that LordHostis has upped his video production game yet again, with this video of Colchester:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgeHWzM4ocQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AgeHWzM4ocQ&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/AgeHWzM4ocQ

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #212 on: 28 April, 2022, 12:56:38 am »
Not sure how Jochen Farwer will react to be called “Urine” :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #213 on: 28 April, 2022, 10:38:00 am »
Not sure how Jochen Farwer will react to be called “Urine” :demon:

I assume that's why he's done proper subtitles rather than relying on YouTube's craptions as in previous videos...   ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #214 on: 28 April, 2022, 10:33:55 pm »
Meanwhile I see that LordHostis has upped his video production game yet again, with this video of Colchester:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgeHWzM4ocQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AgeHWzM4ocQ&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/AgeHWzM4ocQ

How do they decide who goes in the quick race or the slow race?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #215 on: 28 April, 2022, 11:06:30 pm »
How do they decide who goes in the quick race or the slow race?

The current system is a highly scientific process whereby either Andrew or I:

a) Meticulously enter racer details into the Spreadsheet ov Doom, correcting people's errors on the sign-up form while trying not to introduce any new ones.  Then let it have a stab at race allocation[1].
b) Put all the handcyclists in the slow race (because most of them are quite slow, a few have impairments that mean they get quite cold while waiting around and they've specifically requested to race together).
c) Put all the new[2] people in the slow race.
d) Put all the known-fast regulars and anything fully-faired in the fast race.
e) Put the known-slow regulars in the slow race, even if they're in a velomobile.
f) For important events[3], optionally demote one half of the time team to the slow race so that there's always someone who knows what they're doing within reach of the Official Jam-Filled Babbage Engine.
g) Attempt to achieve a balance of numbers by promoting or demoting people based on age, gender, number of wheels, number of fairings and whether I recognise the name of the machine as a production model that's clearly performance or touring oriented.
h) Make last minute changes on the day based on people breaking their bikes, being stuck in traffic, being much quicker than I guestimated, etc.

Ultimately, it doesn't make that much difference, as the results are combined[4] and ranked by average speed before points allocation.  But obviously there are potential psychological/drafting advantages to being at the back of the fast race rather than the front of the slow race.

[1] There's some VBA witchcraft that I've been careful not to look at too closely that weights people according to HPV class and previous race performance.  Sometimes it even works.
[2] Which means people I've never heard of whose name isn't in the database for the last couple of years of racing.  As a relative newcomer to, well, everything, this means I occasionally miss that someone's an old timer who's been distracted by real life for a few years.  But this is generally the safer option where inexperienced riders are involved.
[3] Particularly the first and last meets of a season, venues where we're operating under significant time constraints, and after making substantial changes to the timing software.
[4] Using some VBA voodoo that I thought would be simple when I started writing it (in a language where my previous experience was a 3 line macro I wrote as part of my dissertation), and is now up to version 1517 on account of all the edge cases it has to handle.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #216 on: 29 April, 2022, 01:00:21 am »
'ere, I thought we had a New! IMPROVED!!1! Babbage-Engine that was free from conserves, spreads and sandwich toppings ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #217 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:52:51 am »
The new Babbage-Engine runs on low-viscosity Jam With No Bits In.  No doubt it will coagulate over time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #218 on: 05 May, 2022, 01:33:13 pm »
PSA: Registrations for Stourport are now closed.  Registrations for Lancaster on the 22nd of May are now open to BHPC members.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #219 on: 08 May, 2022, 11:17:10 pm »
PSA: Registrations for Stourport are now closed.

Well that was a grand day out, once the weather got its act together.  No doubt someone will have photographic evidence which isn't  a) unflattering  b) automated  c) full of timestamps and comedy rolling-shutter artefacts.

Speaking of artifacts, well done to barakta for being temporarily seconded to the Time Team (in the role of Carenza in Trench 3).

Results provisionally uploaded to the usual place, quibble away...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #220 on: 09 May, 2022, 06:33:21 am »

There's a gootube video from GCN at the BHPC racing. So far I've recognised a wild Kim going very quickly.

Well that was an amusing way to spend 12 minutes.

I do like that quattro velo. Some friends of mine have two of them in their household, and carry their 2 kids. In them. they used to carry all 3 kids, but the big one has got too big and how has his own recumbent. Interesting to see them racing.

Definitely better marketing for the dark side than some of the previous GCN attempts.

J
Post necromancy but I guess your friends are Gert B and Ingrid N… the world is small!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #221 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:12:39 am »
PSA: Registrations for Stourport are now closed.  Registrations for Lancaster on the 22nd of May are now open to BHPC members.

And now open to non-members.  Get 'em while they’re 'ot!

« Reply #222 on: 12 May, 2022, 01:31:55 pm »
Thanks to the organisers for making it an enjoyable day  :thumbsup:. Next one Stourport? I'll look into bringing the P-38. It occurs to me that if it might fit in the car upside down with the wheels off. Just have to sort out a chainring guard.

Get an estate car and roll your P38 in without any disassembly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #223 on: 12 May, 2022, 01:34:40 pm »
Or ride to the event and get extra points...

« Reply #224 on: 13 May, 2022, 02:06:29 pm »

Get an estate car and roll your P38 in without any disassembly.
It goes in upside down with the wheels off  :)