Author Topic: RIP Eileen Sheridan  (Read 2316 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
RIP Eileen Sheridan
« on: 13 February, 2023, 06:33:13 pm »
Legendary Cycling Record Breaker Eileen Sheridan Passes Away - Cycling Weekly

RIP Eileen, one of Britain's fastest and also longest-lived cyclists. 

Fittingly, I'll take my bike named after her through 50,000 km today. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: RIP Eileen Sheridan
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:53:01 pm »
RIP. I have a mental image of her on a trike, would that be right?

Momentary confusion caused by googling her and being told she died in 2018 – turns out that was a model of the same name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:54:50 pm »
Karla, I;ve always had in my mind that description of her End-to-End record ride in which she "climbed Shap at 10 miles an hour".  An amazing woman.  RIP.

Cudz, I don't know about the trike.  She rode for Hercules - and so did coppers when I were a lad!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:57:02 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2023, 08:01:51 pm »
Remember Wonder Wheels was a big inspiration. RIP Eileen.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2023, 08:04:15 pm »
An inspirational lady.
She stayed with my family when she was guest of honour at a club or association dinner - probably in the 1950s.
I seem to remember she cycled to our house with her ballgown in the sadddlebag of her touring bike (more formal times!)
At some stage she picked the cat up for a cuddle and it was so happy it paddled its paws and left a neat set of claw marks on her neck just above her cleavage. That took some covering up when she wore her ballgown for the evening D&D.
Happily she took it all with good humour.
Definitely one of the greats in cycling but also a wonderful person.

« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2023, 11:53:16 am »
Here is another fascinating rider Edith Atkins, with many parallels to Eileen Sheridan and a great rival to her at Coventry Road Club.  She died tragically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Atkins

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2023, 09:23:06 pm »
goodbye Eileen

« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:57:14 pm »
That's very poignant, Vorsprung - a nice touch.  Just needs a sunset.

Brings back memories of just how poor lighting was in those days with the Ever Ready lamps that used to go on that fork bracket.  I think they had a wind-down switch with a spring, didn't they.  Eileen seems to have two brakes there so I'm wondering if it's a Sturmey Archer hub Hercules bike, rather than a fixed?

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2023, 12:43:10 pm »
Trailblazing cyclist, Eileen Sheridan, passed away recently at the impressive age of 99. Her daughter, Louise, has set up a memorial page to celebrate Eileen's life. As you can read, the family have been overwhelmed and hugely touched by the kind messages that have pouring in over the weeks since Eileen's death - they are fiercely proud of her and all that she achieved during her remarkable life.

Please do have a look at the website and on behalf of Louise could I ask you to make a donation to the chosen charities - each of which has been chosen with a personal slant to reflect Eileen's interests. Also, please spread the link to the website to anyone that you think might be interested. Many thanks.

https://eileensheridan.muchloved.com/