Author Topic: Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden aerodrome  (Read 2609 times)

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden aerodrome
« on: 16 March, 2023, 06:41:04 pm »
I hear through the grapevine that the Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden aerodrome, Bedfordshire has now, after three years, reopened the gate which cyclists typically used to get to the cafe.

I understand that there was for three years a general uptightness about people wandering in and buying things in the cafe without paying to see the whole collection.

So if you're in the area I hear it's once again a good place to cycle to and watch aircraft while eating or drinking in the cafe.

Re: Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden aerodrome
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2023, 07:04:35 pm »
They stopped charging the entrance fee then, if you only want the cafe?

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2023, 10:29:37 pm »
I don't know, but I reckon the small village cafe that seems to be someone's house and garden in Southall is good. Assuming it's still there etc as I haven't been for a few years now.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2023, 11:35:07 pm »
I've heard similar information through my cycling club - we're local, and indeed one of our 10 courses goes past that gate.

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2023, 12:28:06 am »
We're close by and I used to stop off there quite often. I must say, I wasn't been aware of any ill-feeling towards cyclists whenever I visited. However, I stopped riding that way for a while but I was aware that the gate had been closed. Sometime last summer I rode up to the gate to see if there was any way to get in by foot. It was properly locked, but as I stood there a lady came along in a little buggy and explained that if I wanted to get in, I would need to be a member, and she explained - quite pleasantly - the various membership options, which were all far too pricey if all you wanted was a cup of tea and a snack. I agree that it is/was a great place to stop, and being able to see the planes up close and flying around was a bonus. If it's open to cyclists again then that's great.

The little cafe in Southall is still going, but I think that they've reduced their opening times. They never seem to be open when I go past, but then I was never a big fan anyway because, in my experience, the food wasn't very good.

But there's a new cafe, set up specifically for cyclists and walkers, called the Cowshed Cafe, at the top of the hill between Northill and Cople, which I recommend - very friendly, start-up, business of the type which deserves our support: https://www.thecowshedcafe.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2023, 12:38:16 pm »
Oh, I fixed a puncture at the exact location of the Cowshed during the pandemic years.   Added to my list of cafes in range

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2023, 01:23:30 pm »
Also café at Thorncote Green nearby. Open during week as well as weekends

https://franklinsfarm.co.uk/the-dairy-cafe/

"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2023, 01:29:25 pm »
I might need to do some investigations...

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2023, 12:28:25 am »

Ooh, thanks for this. I often pass by very close to there, must investigate.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the Barn in Cardington is now closed.

I'm in Bedford - if anyone wants to meet for a tea/coffee at any of these local establishments, please drop a line.

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2023, 08:22:46 pm »

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the Barn in Cardington is now closed.

I'm in Bedford - if anyone wants to meet for a tea/coffee at any of these local establishments, please drop a line.
I got out for the first time in weeks today and headed for Shuttleworth. The gate was open and, though I didn't actually stop for tea, a conversation with one of their people confirmed that I was free to use the cafe if I wanted to. I think the deal now is that members and workers get a discount which isn't available to the general public. I then rode along to the Thorncote Green farm shop cafe, and can report that it is a very friendly and welcoming place; I'll definitely be going back there again.

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2023, 05:43:26 pm »
I don't recall ever being asked for money or being brow beaten when stopping at Shuttleworth. Useful to know that things are back to normal. The Southhall team room in what was the old post office can get very busy at times and is tiny inside should the weather be inclement. Plenty of room outside however. Agree is a very good venue. Whilst we are at it for those that don't know a very good cafe at Roxton behind the pub The Little Acorn. Didn't know about the Thorncote farm cafe thanks for that.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2023, 08:19:07 pm »
I don't recall ever being asked for money or being brow beaten when stopping at Shuttleworth. Useful to know that things are back to normal. The Southhall team room in what was the old post office can get very busy at times and is tiny inside should the weather be inclement. Plenty of room outside however. Agree is a very good venue. Whilst we are at it for those that don't know a very good cafe at Roxton behind the pub The Little Acorn. Didn't know about the Thorncote farm cafe thanks for that.

Has the cafe at Roxton re-opened then? It closed a while back. It was run by a S African family, and the son was a bike mechanic who had a workshop next door.

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2023, 07:35:21 pm »

I've just learned that the Barn at Cardington is to reopen at the end of the month, courtesy of then Bedford Cheese Company.

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2023, 10:23:42 pm »
Yes Rob it is open again under new management.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2023, 12:50:30 am »
Yes Rob it is open again under new management.
:thumbsup: