Author Topic: Ortlieb Classics or Plus?  (Read 2094 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Ortlieb Classics or Plus?
« on: 28 April, 2023, 06:07:21 pm »
Just managed to knacker one of my 25 year old Ortlieb Back Roller classics. It came free from my rack, twisted, and the front hook caught onto Shackleton's rear spokes. The pannier pretzeled, and I came to a rapid halt (although I managed to stay upright).

Worse, there were a dozen eggs and some delicious looking tomatoes from the farm shop in there, all cushioned on my waterproof.

Worse worse, it started raining.

So I had to ride home covered in egg and tomato juice because it was too cold to do without the jacket.

The pannier's back plate is hopelessly deformed and there is a massive hole in it. I could gaffer tape it, but I think I deserve some new ones.

So! Back Roller Classics or Plus? I presume Classics if I want to get another 25 years out of them. Also, the Plus seem to have a weight limit. Are there any advantages to the Plus other than the almost 200g weight saving?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Ortlieb Classics or Plus?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2023, 06:36:01 pm »
I think I'd first want to know how it came free from the rack, and make sure that whatever you buy to replace it couldn't do the same. But I don't know much about the Ortlieb models so can't help with your decision, sorry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:07:14 pm »
If you’re interested I have a pair of yellow classics for sale, in the for sale thread. PM if interested.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:17:49 pm »
I believe that you can buy replacement parts for your back roller classics.  Is the fabric fubar'd or just the back plate and fixings?

ravenbait

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:40:50 pm »
I believe that you can buy replacement parts for your back roller classics.  Is the fabric fubar'd or just the back plate and fixings?

The bag itself has also ripped apart, so replacement is the only way.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:46:55 pm »
So! Back Roller Classics or Plus? I presume Classics if I want to get another 25 years out of them. Also, the Plus seem to have a weight limit. Are there any advantages to the Plus other than the almost 200g weight saving?

Sam
I suspect it's mostly aesthetics, the Plus look less plastic. Both materials are tough, but in different ways, the only reason the PVC is so thick on the Classics is that type of material would stretch if not. That's not the case with the closer woven material on the Plus. I don't have any data, I'd guess they'll each be stronger in some regards and weaker in others.  They both have the same recommended load limits, they're determined by the fixing system rather than the bag material. 

ravenbait

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:47:57 pm »
I think I'd first want to know how it came free from the rack, and make sure that whatever you buy to replace it couldn't do the same. But I don't know much about the Ortlieb models so can't help with your decision, sorry.
This is the only time it has done it. I'm not sure what happened. Possibly it was nearing failure, or human error.

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:48:50 pm »
If you’re interested I have a pair of yellow classics for sale, in the for sale thread. PM if interested.
Thanks, but I really can't stand the taste of that particular shade of yellow.

Sam

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2023, 07:56:06 pm »
IME Ortlieb fixings are prone to not fully engaging if they're a snug fit on the rack and/or there's other Stuff in the way when you attach the pannier (eg. if you hook them on when there's some sort of bag on the top of the rack).  This is usually fine, as gravity tends to keep them in place.  Until it doesn't.

I have had them bounce free from the properly engaged state when doing serious off-roading, but that doesn't sound like the sort of thing you'd do with eggs on board.

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2023, 08:12:54 pm »
I have used both Classic and Plus variants.  I personally prefer the Plus but the Classics have been the harder wearing in my experience.  I have had to patch a Plus but never a Classic.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2023, 08:19:27 pm »
I've had to patch classics, and I reckon the Plus might be a little easier to patch if you manage to damage it along the seam, on account of the greater flexibility, but I've not actually tried it.

ravenbait

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2023, 02:05:26 pm »
I've gone for some Plus. Purely for aesthetic reasons. Also I've had to patch Classics before anyway. We'll see how much abuse they can take!

Sam

« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2023, 10:51:58 am »
Bit late, but I bought a pair of the Back Roller Plus to replace ancient Karrimor panniers, on the basis I liked the green more than the other colours available for the Classics.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2023, 11:53:28 am »
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what about Carradice?  Mine are at least 40 years old (according to Carradice) and are perfectly good if looking a bit scruffy now.  I must send them back to Nelson for a refurb.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2023, 06:11:00 am »
I have always passed the central strap behind the rack with my back rollers. Not as Q/R, but impossible to fall off.
Don't ask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 03 May, 2023, 01:22:13 pm »
I have always passed the central strap behind the rack with my back rollers. Not as Q/R, but impossible to fall off.

Yes, I tend to cross the straps over with the pannier on the other side, which also provides a useful restraint for Stuff on the rack (usually just slosh-reduction for the water bag).

ravenbait

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2023, 03:49:31 pm »
I tried crossing the straps, but I fix my heavy locks to the top of the rack, and when my panniers are full the straps can't reach to fasten securely.

As this has happened only once in 25 years, I shall attribute it to Raven error and be more careful in future.

My new panniers are lovely.

Sam