Author Topic: PlanetX look to be in trouble  (Read 3958 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: PlanetX look to be in trouble
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2023, 10:17:32 am »
They've just had a large restock of all sorts of things. I'd be very sad to see them go, although I know a lot pf people think poorly of them.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2023, 10:32:06 am »
Had a look yesterday for some inner tubes. Very limited stock choices.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2023, 10:58:02 am »
I'd be sad to see them go.

I've had quite a few planetX products. Lots of their cheaper stuff was, well, cheap. However, it did what it said on the tin, and while it might not have lasted as well as more expensive kit, it cost buttons.

That is great for people new to cycling who don't have a lot of money.

One individual with a somewhat abrasive personality has created most of the negativity about planetX, I think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2023, 11:11:38 am »
It's a while since I bought anything off them, but I don't recall any problems with their products (I wouldn't have touched their carbon frames).

sam

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2023, 11:23:09 am »
I'd also be sad to see them go, in the sense that I'm sad to see almost any bike place go. Having owned a Spitfire for about 5 minutes,

said to have been designed by Mark Reilly [RIP]

returned for reasons having nothing to do with its quality, I am, however, mildly relieved that it didn't work out for me. Not saying warranties wouldn't be honoured, I honestly don't know; but it would be yet another thing in this world to worry about.

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2023, 11:41:31 am »
I put in an order for quite a few parts with them over weekend, everything did seem to reduced.

Got the order confirmation this morning, not despatched yet though.

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2023, 12:23:14 pm »

One individual with a somewhat abrasive personality has created most of the negativity about planetX, I think.

Who?

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2023, 01:19:14 pm »
My guess is it's someone who used to be involved in the business and was once active in the cycling press.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2023, 01:20:03 pm »
It's a while since I bought anything off them, but I don't recall any problems with their products (I wouldn't have touched their carbon frames).

Why the no touching the carbon frames?  Recently bought a lurcher.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2023, 01:24:28 pm »
Ian H is not really a carbon frame sort of bloke, carbon-dated perhaps, carbon-based definitely.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2023, 01:37:28 pm »
My guess is it's someone who used to be involved in the business and was once active in the cycling press.
Who?

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2023, 03:01:24 pm »
My first purchase was a Kaffenback frame, which was OK as long as you didn't try to use a cassette with a smallest 12t or larger.  :facepalm:  They had to send a whole batch back.

They were really good for cheap branded bits up until about 5 years ago. Own brand was a mixture of useful/ cheap/good value or utter shit that didn't work properly.

They kind of filled a hole that nobody else could.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2023, 03:15:10 pm »
I have a Kaffenback that I've owned since around 2011/12 ish (probably 2nd or 3rd generation). For a frame and fork combo it was ridiculously cheap - maybe £150. It's well finished and does the job well and it's made a good general-purpose bike.

Their business model seemed to be a one of a constant round of sales, such that there was no way that an informed buyer would purchase anything from them at full price IMO (see above). Perhaps the current owners (AIUI there was a buy-out in 2020) have tried to operate a more "conventional" retail model but the former practice must be difficult to move away from.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2023, 08:21:51 pm »
Don't forget the after effects of Brexit. Planet X was quite popular on the continent. I absolutely see a drop in my orders due to the much increased hassle.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2023, 08:38:40 pm »
There's a vague parallel to Alpkit; both built up a reputation for selling decent stuff very cheaply, but they are not as cheap as they used to be (not just inflation, but relative to the market: Alpkit are now often more expensive than Decathlon, for instance). (This does not mean Alpkit are in trouble!0
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2023, 08:41:23 pm »
Ian H is not really a carbon frame sort of bloke, carbon-dated perhaps, carbon-based definitely.

I'll have you know I had a set of carbon wheels once (Planet-X as I remember).  But they went when I sold the TT bike.

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2023, 10:22:42 pm »
My experience of Planet X has been, almost, universally good.
Biggest purchase was my (sadly dead) Dirty Disco frame that served me well for 33,330 miles before its pre-mature demise.
I've also bought lots of other components, accessories and clothing from them. None of it at full price though; that would be like buying a "non sale" DFS sofa.
Best buy (apart from dead Disco) ? Probably my Carnac cycling SS shirts. They fit me so much better than my (much more expensive but still bought in the sale) Rapha shirts.
I sincerely hope they don't go under.

« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2023, 11:00:17 pm »
I remember almost buying a Focus large tube carbon bike from them in 2008.  It was comparatively very cheap - under £1k for a decent Ultegra spec.  I think they might have had the UK distribution rights for Focus in those days - they certainly sold a lot of them.
The sound of one pannier flapping

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2023, 07:09:44 am »
I bought a lot of road tyres from them at about 1/4 the going rate.  There hasn't been anything worth buying for a couple of years, though.  My On-One Inbred was also a reliable and good-handling commuting frame, even if the geometry was retarded and had to be worked around (30mm stem, 450mm seatpost, helicopter tape on the seatstays that caught my heels).

rogerzilla

« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2023, 07:10:53 am »
Also, they made an unfortunate investment a few years back:

https://road.cc/content/news/62676-planet-x-bid-and-win-four-jimmy-saville-bikes-auction

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:16:24 pm »
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #22 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:23:29 pm »
Sold to an obscure clothing company.

https://road.cc/content/news/future-planet-x-secured-cycling-retailer-sold-301801

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Winlong Garments was one of their suppliers

« Reply #23 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:50:33 pm »
Sold as a "Pre-Pack" so the creditors might still have lost out.

« Reply #24 on: 09 June, 2023, 10:03:55 pm »
Not much info about Winlong apart from a possible Chinese/Hong Kong connection.