Author Topic: Riding in the monsoon?  (Read 1730 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Riding in the monsoon?
« on: 12 June, 2023, 06:02:16 pm »
Several years ago, I combined an Indian work trip with a 200km overnight brevet on a rented hybrid without too much trouble, after I had spent a few hours tuning the bike to something approximating rideable.

It looks like I will be working in Mumbai for a week or so in the next month. There is a 300km brevet not too far away that I could enter on a rental (or take my road bike along). The difference from my previous Indian brevet is that I would have to contend with the monsoon this time. My memory of Indian roads was that I had to keep my eyes peeled for intermittently poor road conditions and unpredictably homicidal drivers. That sort of vigilance is difficult to maintain for long periods during tropical rain storms, particularly when wearing glasses.

Has anybody here spent much time riding bikes on Indian roads during the monsoon? Avoid or recommend?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Riding in the monsoon?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2023, 06:13:55 pm »
Lancashire can get monsoon-y.  I find a cap invaluable if I'm wearing glasses in the rain, although I've taken to riding without the glasses - because I see better!  (I think I need another test).  But I know you usually wear a cap, so I'm sorry not to be more help - I couldn't give you any tips on cycling, anyway!  Just best wishes!

PS  are you actually going to get a ride for PBP?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2023, 06:24:35 pm »
No, I finished qualifying on the tandem last month. This month is about helping a couple of folk wrap up their qualifiers. Next month is just riding for fun and to keep fitness.

Audax Randonneurs India require helmets, along with spare batteries for your lights (even with dynamo lights?) and waterproofed rider numbers (supplied by the rider) mounted front and back on your bike. Wearing a cap under a helmet will just be too hot for me (overnight minimum of about 27 degrees).

For interest, the description for a late June 200 in the same region notes "This route is conducted in the Monsoon and the road condition are very bad. Flooding on the road is expected, making visibility of Potholes impossible. One can also expect fog close to the Tamhini descent. It is advised to attempt this BRM on MTB or hybrid only."

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2023, 06:37:59 pm »
Ha!  The only thing they don't mention is what used to be called "headwind" (now modified in UK to BLOCK headwind to make riders seem harder)!  Yes, that certainly sounds seriously challenging.  But if the Indians are anything like the ones we meet on LEL they'll be really cheerful hosts - and there'll be no shortage of scarves!  If you do go, take care. (Fatuous, though genuine sentiment)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2023, 07:10:39 pm »
Well, there will be wind, because it's the monsoon. But you might be lucky; not every monsoon day has rain, and when it does rain, it doesn't necessarily rain for long. But if it rains, there will be floods. Hub deep or deeper. You're probably better off on a hire bike just for the sake of your bearings!

I never rode much in the monsoon, especially not out of town, so can't say anymore really, except that equally I don't remember the monsoon ever being so bad that I couldn't eg get to office. However, I was living well inland, I guess the monsoon is going to be stronger on the coast.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2023, 01:35:11 pm »
I am having a issue finding a rental bike in Mumbai or Pune that is likely to fit a 182cm tall bloke. Any suggestions where to find a suitable rental bike?

I had a similar problem several years ago. I asked a few weeks ahead of the brevet if the rental shop had a bike to fit me. I got a positive response, so it was a little annoying to find their biggest bike positioned the saddle a couple of centimetres too low, even after swapping seat posts between rental bikes to get the saddle higher. I got round that 200 OK despite sore knees but I am not keen on a 300km under the same conditions.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2023, 01:49:49 pm »
Maybe contact the organiser and ask if they know of anywhere? They might be able to put you in touch with a local club or group that could help out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2023, 05:37:08 pm »
I may have to go that way. I have asked for such assistance in some countries with the response, "Feel free to borrow any of my bikes" (Canada) but I think it is unlikely that many Indian randonneurs have multiple bikes, judging by the riders and machines I saw during my previous Indian brevet. Not many of them were close to my height either.

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2023, 07:09:55 pm »
I may have to go that way. I have asked for such assistance in some countries with the response, "Feel free to borrow any of my bikes" (Canada) but I think it is unlikely that many Indian randonneurs have multiple bikes, judging by the riders and machines I saw during my previous Indian brevet. Not many of them were close to my height either.

Thought about taking your own (long) seatpost with you along with a few taper shims to compensate for errors/anomalies in post diameter?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2023, 10:15:08 am »
Thought about taking your own (long) seatpost with you along with a few taper shims to compensate for errors/anomalies in post diameter?

No but it might be the way to go. Otherwise my Brompton is looking like an option.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2023, 01:49:41 pm »
I decided that adding a 300 brevet was just too much hassle to fit in around work. Whether I enjoy riding in monsoon rain has obviously no influence on my decision...