Author Topic: First mountain bike - a reminisence  (Read 1517 times)

First mountain bike - a reminisence
« on: 19 July, 2023, 06:13:06 am »
Mountain bikes first came to the UK in the 1980s, when I was a student. I cant remember the exact year.
The first one in the family was a Muddy Fox which my brother got second hand (OK, Muddy Fox are UK built).
I took the mountain bike term at face value and haled this thing off to Conic Hill at Loch Lomond. The intrepid newbie mountain biker puts the quick release seatpost down ready for the descent of the walking path... and promptly falls off squashing nuts on the top tube. Owwcch.

My first new bike was a Trek 720, steel frame and no boingy bits in those days. Chosen after voraciously reading Mountian Biking magazine from WH Smith. I am sure those of this parish remember Mint Sauce.
The nearest dealer was located at the holiday park in Aberfoyle (I come from Glasgow). I guess the business did hire bikes for holidaymakers so bought a lot of them.  Off I go with the family dog in the back of my Talbot (Chrysler) Alpine hatchback.
I picked the Trek up sealed in its box, and IIRC got a couple of quid off for assembling it myself. Great bike.

I remember a solo expedition along the Stockiemuir road, where a pack of mountain bikers approached the other way and the shout of "Moonters" went up and they stopped for a chat. It really was that unusual in those days to see a mountain bike.

Another memory is taking the poor dog in my VW Jetta out to Loch Carron and riding the gravel track there in hard frost and snow. The dog loved lolloping along beside me. But when we got back to the car he collapsed in the footwell. Tired and happy dog but his paw pads must have been very sore.

That bike lasted till I moved to London. Nicked and reported to police - amazingly police sergeant got it back, by taking it from thief chappie who when challenged said something along the lines of "no contest" and gave up the bike.
A few weeks later the bike was stolen from the garage- I suspect Mr Tea Leaf returned and stole it out of spite.

Trek MTB - flat bar, steel frame rigid bike. Old school and I still wish I had it.

Re: First mountain bike - a reminisence
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2023, 07:34:05 am »
I missed the 80s thing, as I was mostly riding a no name single speed round the local woods.

It was a mountain bike which got me back into cycling. We’d moved to Brighton, our garden gate opened onto the downs, and I needed some exercise. I got a Trek 3700 from a local shop, and gradually got further and further up the local steady gradient before I needed to stop.

That bike later got a child seat and towed a trailer. Then drop bars and did a bit of rough stuff touring. Now it gets used for commuting.

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2023, 07:34:25 am »
Trek MTB - flat bar, steel frame rigid bike. Old school and I still wish I had it.

Orange Clockwork - from 1992.  It's my do-it-all bike - commuting, overseas touring, etc

"flat bar" - tick
"steel frame" - tick
"rigid " - tick

Other plus features - rack mounts and nearly horizontal top tube.

The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2023, 07:44:26 am »
I had an Orange P7.  My mum bought it for me, second hand from a bike shop in Glasgow. Looking back I think the person who had it first was well heeled - it had purple anodized fittings which I think might have been titanium. Loved that bike.
Someone climbed onto my balcony in London and stole it.

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2023, 08:03:39 am »
I didn"t get a proper mountain bike until I was in my thirties.  A Marin Muirwoods.

My first "ATB" as it was termed was a Raleigh Magnum.  It had 15 gears, 3/4 mudguards, a rack and tyres with an almost smooth middle but with knobbles on the sides.  I used to commute on it and take #1 cub about on the child seat.

I gave it to my then BiL so that he could get to work and graduated to something more akin to a Raleigh Pioneer but it definitely wasn't a Pioneer.

And then in 1998 I bought the Muirwoods...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2023, 08:33:48 am »
In 1994 MrsT suggested that instead of getting some useless trinkets for our Silver Wedding we get bikes instead.  She got what MBK called a Vélo Tous Chemins - all-trail bike rather than all-terrain - and I got a hard-tail/hard-nose MTB.  She was doing pretty well for someone who hadn't been allowed a bike as a child when a car crowded her into a ditch, and though she tried a couple of times more the fun had gone out of it.  I kept it up, though later I had an MTB triple fitted to my old Raleigh "demi-course" and went back to road cycling.

I still have the frame, though. In 2011 I rebuilt it for the road...

... as a sort of "apprentice piece" before building a Surly LHT. In doing so I would seem to have invented the gravel bike, although in this set-up it was too long for me so I didn't ride it much.  Most of the gear in this pic - with the notable exceptions of the murderous SMP saddle and the suicidal cantis - went onto the Surly, which in turn got sold on because I couldn't push it past a 23 kph average over 100k. Happy days.

The MBK frame now lives under a bench, and I still occasionally catch a foot on it when I'm fettling.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2023, 03:59:18 pm »
Although we had built single speed ‘Klunker’/Tracker bikes with riser/cowhorn bars, from the early ‘70s, the first mtb I bought was a new Raleigh Ravine with LX groupset.
After it got nicked from my garage, I got a Univega 506 in 1996. It has an excellent steel cromoly frame and still gets used.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2023, 12:42:48 pm »
Specialized Rockhopper bought from Bike UK's SEEKRIT bunker in an underground car park off The Strand, in 1986.  Stolen from outside the Ship & Blue Ball in Hoxton a Several of years later >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2023, 12:19:36 am »
I had a Rockhopper too. Rode it on the London-Brighton ride with a little one on the back, probably 1990. It got stolen from work, near London Bridge, about a year or so later. Nice bike. I replaced it with a Stumpjumper in 94(?) which the offspring is still riding, though the frame may be the only thing that remains of the original. Also a nice bike.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2023, 04:35:55 pm »
Sounds like my Trek 4300, bought to replace a Trek 730 killed by Miss von Brandenburg running it into the back of a taxi.  The frame still lives as the heart of the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle but everything else is a replacement.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:50:52 pm »
Mine was a Saracen Traverse, in purpil, and cost me about £400 in ‘91 ish. A LOT of money for a push bike back then, had farmer John tyres. Many thousinds of smiles, on and off road. Died a rusty death in a leaky shed. Even took it to S. Africa, and rode it around the Drakensburgh and into Sabie. Hey ho, “don’t look back, we’re not going that way!”

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2023, 11:34:03 pm »
A 1992 I think Trek 730, banana yellow, no suspension.  I bought it on a whim from Keswick bike centre after hiring one from them and taking it up to the summit of Skiddaw and back.  It is still in my garage, needing some serious TLC, although I did drag it round an ACME winter series audax and ECE in winter 21/22 and I use it as a pub bike on occasions.  I keep thinking of rebuilding and repurposing it, as it deserves better than collecting dust after giving me 30 years of fun.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2023, 07:33:19 am »
I had a Saracen Tufftrax. About 1989.

I rode it around Cannock Chase and Sutton Park initially and did a few MTB races and events such as Tour of the Pennines. I did a few bike tours around North Scotland on it, used it for commuting, ferrying kids back and forth and tried a drops conversion.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2023, 08:05:22 am »
Raleigh Discovery. Loved it but only rode locally apart from the London to Brighton (on full knobblies) a couple of times. Overtook Concorde on the descent after Ditchling Beacon but that's another story.

Seem to recall it had an oval chainring.