Author Topic: Lost my cycling mojo  (Read 22028 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Lost my cycling mojo
« on: 27 December, 2009, 11:38:51 pm »
For whatever reason, I just don't want to go out on my bike at the moment. Absolutely no desire at all.

My excuse last week was that it was icy. I had a heavy fall on a slippery road not so long ago (albeit due to mud rather than ice), and a few dodgy moments on icy roads last week, and I don't mind admitting that it's made me feel a bit nervous.

But all the ice has gone, and it even looked quite nice out there this morning (chilly, but nice) and I still didn't fancy it.

Is it just the time of year?

Please at least someone tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this right now. It's too depressing otherwise.  :(

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Lost my cycling mojo
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2009, 12:11:03 am »
No mate, you are not alone, by any means.

Crap weather, not much you can do now about this year's mileage, next season seems a long way off. What's the point?

Thing is, it'll be "next season" before you know it. Give yourself a break, you'll be fancying a ride before long. Just don't set yourself big targets, just go for a bike ride when you feel like it. Which you will.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2009, 12:21:38 am »
For whatever reason, I just don't want to go out on my bike at the moment. Absolutely no desire at all.

I'm exactly the same. Haven't even looked at the bike for nearly 2 weeks now (though it's still icy/slushy up here which is a good excuse). I am kind of enjoying wearing normal people clothes outside though. My friends are starting to notice I'm better dressed. ;D

Don't feel bad. Like Eck says, the hunger will return.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2009, 12:28:02 am »
2 weeks? Try months.

Apart from meeting Roger to collect the YACF top I've not been out since the YACF camping weekend. Combination of things. Hopefully resolved in a week or so time. Else I'll get fatter.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2009, 12:35:45 am »
I think the root of the problem for me - apart from the fear of ice - is that the only cycling I've done for the past several months is my daily all-weathers three-mile slog to and from the station on a rickety Brompton. It's all utility cycling, no recreational stuff. The prospect of more of the same when I go back to work after the Christmas break just makes my heart sink. Surely the idea of riding my bike should make me feel happy, not miserable?

But yes, I know I'll have forgotten all this by the time spring arrives. Ho hum.

Watching American Flyers (on telly right now) isn't helping. Oh to be out on the open road on a fast bike in nice weather with gorgeous female hitch-hikers smiling at you...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:17:51 am »
I've said it before on this forum - listen to what your body is telling you. Go with the flow.

Best advice I have - do something different. Go for an offroad jaunt along a forest track, take it slow and easy and rediscover the joys of just being out on the bike.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:40:47 am »
I've said it before on this forum - listen to what your body is telling you. Go with the flow.

Valid point.

However - feeling a bit down can make you feel "meh", the cure is often excercise.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:16:54 am »
My mojo is not lost:it's frozen over.It will thaw out soon

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:23:11 am »
God, this is interesting, and cheering. I've been pretty much off cycling ever since my DNF audax. I NEED to get back on the bike, but I'm scared of ice, so not yet. Thank goodness for the spinning bike!

« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:30:15 am »
It's best to be slack at this time of year to ensure that you suffer sufficiently on the Gospel Pass in February. That's my plan.

« Reply #10 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:42:39 am »
I've only cycled a couple of hundred miles since the beginning of November  :'(

This is due to a couple of weeks holiday, decorating my flat and then finally snow and ice.

I use cycling as a tool to keep me slim, smiling and sane, so now i am a fat miserable depressed individual who is not much fun to be around.

I have been out over the last couple of days though, and loved every minute of it!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:57:27 am »
My observation, in myself and in others, is that for many people it is about objectives/targets or whatever.

When I raced (now over 10 years distant) there was a reason to go out on the bike. I had e.g. a training camp to be ready for and then some targetted events. I didn't want to go out, but I knew I had to.

Then I had a few years of "if I can tick over OK then once work allows I can get back to racing".

Now I'm increasingly convinced that this will never happen, and therefore there's no point to going out, unless it's a really nice day and I can go for a relaxed ride.

I know that others have different targets, and whatever works for them is good.

If, for you, completing an Audax, or doing x number of miles keeps you motivated, this is the thing to concentrate on and it will maintain your focus.

« Reply #12 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:02:30 am »
It's the time of year. Seasonal depression. Set a target of say Easter to do something nice on your bike. Perhaps organise a forum ride or sign up to one, or a nice audax that you've done before or a ride with some friends or family. Something that will challenge you enough to mean you'll need to do some preparation. Don't worry about it though, let the weather pick up, let the sun rise earlier and set later. Time is  a great healer.

« Reply #13 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:20:33 am »
I has some scary moments last week, eventually fell off on ice - which actually made me feel a lot better, since it a) didn't hurt, b) didn't damage anything

However, today I was very nervous on some fairly heavy frost and I have to accept I really haven't got it out of my system yet.

I'd really suggest doign some exercise that isn't cycling. A long walk somewhere nice ending up in a pub can be very nice. Alternatively go swimming or do something you haven't tried before.

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »
The moment I got my 1km/hr average completed (8760km) in mid December I felt decidedly "meh" and struggled to get out after that.  That was immediately followed by a week and a half of unrideable roads so I just sat on the couch and ate mince pies.

I went out for the first time this week (I really had to force myself out) and just followed my nose for 40 miles, up and down country lanes around Andover in Hampshire.  You know what?  It was bloody great, tough work at first, getting the legs movig again, but really nice just to ride again.

I don't think it's a bad idea having a week or two off, especially in Winter. Worrying about falling off on every corner is no fun and it's unusual for my body to get 2 weeks rest and recovery from the bike.

As Scumoftheroad says, "listen to your body", if you don't feel like it then don't do it, have a rest, eat some mince pies.  It's supposed to be enjoyable.

Chances are you'll feel all the better for it when you get out there in some decent weather.

Just do what I did when the time comes, go out with no objective apart from looking down some interesting lanes for a few hours.

John Henry

« Reply #15 on: 28 December, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »
I reached 6000 miles a couple of weeks back. That coincided with the onset of an unpleasant little vomiting bug and the start of the freeze. Since then I doubt I've done 100 miles in total.

I'm content to give the bike a rest. I'll plan some rides, reacquaint myself with the wife, order some blingy cycle stuff and eat the odd biscuit. I know that when the temperature rises and the days get longer, the urge to put a round of cheese sandwiches into a Carradice saddlebag and pedal off down the road will eventually become irresistable.

It's just the rhythm of life, you know. Nothing to worry about.

« Reply #16 on: 28 December, 2009, 03:55:43 pm »
Me too, only 3 rides totaling 100 miles in Nov and only one 30 mile ride in December (yesterday). Partly because of weather and seasonal family commitments but they can only be blamed for reducing cycling opportunities not for the fact that I've had no motivation to get out when the opportunity has been there.

I think I know what the root cause is but it's a bit illogical - I was unable to ride out to a club weekend away in early November that's one of my cycling highlights of the year and it really knocked me back.

Yesterday's 30 miles was all I could manage physically, now I have 3 weeks to get back to something approaching normal before the club run that I've volunteered to lead and a couple of weeks more before the first audax of the year.

« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2009, 04:16:19 pm »
I've been reading this thread with a sense of relief.  It's not just me, then!

A combination of needing the car for one reason or another and the ice have meant that I've only ridden three days in December and this year has been the lowest full years riding since I restarted back in 2003.

I may manage a short ride tomorrow, which would at least be a start.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #18 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »
I've not ridden since about mid October.
I usally find that I loose my MOJO about the end of September having ridden quite a bit since Jan and especially during the club season.  But the MOJO always returns...  In fact, it has today and I've just come back from my first ride in ages...  :thumbsup:  It felt OK and I'm sure I'll feel the benefit of having had time off the bike.
Don't berate yourself, there's no point cycling if you're not enjoying it.  The MOJO will return when it's ready.

« Reply #19 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:21:26 pm »
Obviously there's a lot of this about.
Cold weather riding never used to phase (faze?) me, and my annual / montly targets were always a great motivator, but this December - particulalry since the really cold weather set in, I have certainly lost my mojo!
Once I knew I'd hit my month's target (ie more k's this December than last) and knew that my year target (more k's this year than last) was a tricky-to-achieve-in-this-bloody-weather 100km away, I just gave up; on top of that I got a cold. So - here I sit munching mince pies  :-\
I'm sure It'll all come right once the cold has gone and the weather brightens up a bit.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #20 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:45:45 pm »
I haven't done much myself lately with all this ice around.
I'm getting pretty unfit too.
But why worry? It's a good time of year to vegitate. The days are short and cold. The traffic is bad. Much better to stay in the warm I reckon. I was going to ride a 1000k and would be riding it now, but decided not to because of the ice (OK my lack of fitness was a put off too)
I don't feel bad or guilty though (no, really I dont! :'( ;D)
It's not worth beating yourself up about. I'm off for a walk and maybe a bit of a jog later on. It won't be as good a workout as cycling because my legs aren't used to jogging/running, so my legs will hurt before I get too much out of breath. It's just a bit of fun and when I get back on the bike it'll feel good.
When you get the chance, just go out for a leisurely plod. Even a few miles will do. Make sure you get home wanting more. Don't try and do a big workout or you'll get home feeling knackered after what you consider to be a poor ride and it'll be a bit of a knockback that you don't need, just have a bit of fun and get out and enjoy the ride. 8)
You have to have the down bit of the year, nobody stays up all the time. Wait for the good weather to get yourself fit. It's not much good being fit and fast when the road conditions dictate slow or even no riding.
I only rode 5 miles to the shops today, that was enough with the slippery roads. I rode easily, no rush and enjoyed it.

« Reply #21 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:40:11 pm »
Assuming none of the following apply

a)   The roads are icy
b)   You are ill or hungover
c)   The weather is atrocious
d)   You are motivated solely by an annual target you have already reached or are now never going to reach
e)   You have family commitments
f)   There are better things to do

(all of which are more likely to apply at this time of the year and are good reasons not to get on the bike) then sometimes all it takes is the will-power to get over the ‘meh’, don the appropriate gear, and get out onto the road with no particular objective in mind.  Within a few pedal revolutions all becomes right with the world and you wonder why you hadn’t bothered earlier.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »
Just about all of the above , plus a sorry collection of flattish tyres.

Snake

My Library
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #23 on: 29 December, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
I've had a quiet year, only been out about 3 times since August. Don't worry about it, chances are you will get an urge to get out somtime in the future. 

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #24 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »
me too.... Been off the bike for 3 weeks now! Looks like I won't get back on it until the 4th. Boo.
Today I was looking forward to a nice hour or two fettling & cleaning bikes, but couldn't even manage that  :( :'( too cold & wet to spend any time out in the garage. In a way this was even more frustrating than the lack of cycling. (I spent a week skiing so not entirely without exercise, and my body is saying it needs a few more days rest anyway).
So we've still got several kilos of the South Bucks Winter Warmer stuck to the tandem, and she's off to JD's on Saturday to have some work done........ must find a way to get it clean before then!