Author Topic: tills with incorrect time/date .  (Read 3557 times)

tills with incorrect time/date .
« on: 14 February, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
Dont they just P you off? I had to eat 2 creme eggs and a snickers bar in Clevedon last week to get a shop witha correct time on the receipt.

No wonder I am not losing any of my excess weight.

Re: tills with incorrect time/date .
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:40:52 pm »
Last year in the Shaftesbury 200, the café in Baldock had the wrong time, date and year on the receipt. The four of us present counter-signed each others and it got accepted.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »
The baker in Alsager had a till with a clock one hour fast last year when I used it as the start control for a Peak Audax perm.
The owner happily wrote the correct time on the receipt & signed it:no problem & it was accepted/validated.A written explaination on the brevet card probably helped.

It's a good thing that I noticed the error because I had a FVM 200km ride,finishing with a little less than an hour inside the max. time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »
Pubs that won't do receipts are my pet hate. Without Audax I wouldn't have known they existed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »
Dont they just P you off? I had to eat 2 creme eggs and a snickers bar in Clevedon last week to get a shop witha correct time on the receipt.

Hello mate,
Were you riding a perm?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
Dont they just P you off?

Quite the opposite. I have documented proof that I am super-human and averaged more that 200 miles per hour between Winchester and Portsmouth ;)

« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Hello mate,
Were you riding a perm?

Hi Rob Did a DIY to Combwich Near Bridgewater and back via Clevedon. Quite a nice ride except only one shop open in Combwich and you guessed it....   Also did a muddy detour when I took the wrong path off the Avonmouth Bridge. Instead of going out through Pill I ended up on a muddy track by Portbury Docks. Not good on slick 23c tyres  ;D

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

Hello mate,
Were you riding a perm?

Hi Rob Did a DIY to Combwich Near Bridgewater and back via Clevedon. Quite a nice ride except only one shop open in Combwich and you guessed it....   Also did a muddy detour when I took the wrong path off the Avonmouth Bridge. Instead of going out through Pill I ended up on a muddy track by Portbury Docks. Not good on slick 23c tyres  ;D

I've not done a DIY or Perm yet as I don't fancy 200km+ alone, I think I might grind to a halt without other cyclists to motivate/chat etc....
I'd have joined you on that if I'd known, that's my neck of the woods.
My RRTY plans are taking me to Rochdale on Saturday as there were no calender events nearby that I could attend this month. I'll be visiting family nearby so it's
not JUST a cycling trip. What is you March ride?
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »

Hello mate,
Were you riding a perm?

I've not done a DIY or Perm yet as I don't fancy 200km+ alone, I think I might grind to a halt without other cyclists to motivate/chat etc....
My RRTY plans are taking me to Rochdale on Saturday as there were no calender events nearby that I could attend this month. I'll be visiting family nearby so it's

Not JUST a cycling trip yeah yeah,, ;D   I am entered on the Making Haye starting in Cardiff on March 17th but its very likely I wont be able to ride that day so I am doing another DIY earlier in the month .Stating in Barry meandering to Kenn near Clevedon then back by a similar route.Booked it for Tuesday 13th March. Company would be great if you can do it?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »
A nice lady in a shop in Ditchling signed a piece of paper with "martin was here" and put on the date and time to give me "brevidence" on one of El Supremo's excellent perms in early 2010. It wasn't until I got round to posting off the brevet that I realised the date was 10 years too early as she had put 2000. An explanatory note seemed to do the trick. Otherwise I would have had to ride it again  ;D ;D
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
As the organiser of The Dean I'd like to remind people that The Good News Cafe frequently prints a receipt with a time an hour out. Don't worry too much, I'll be using this fine establishment when I do the route check and will know what the time discrepancy will be and the bulk of people using it as a control will give me a reliable idea if you are in time, even if the receipt suggests otherwise.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2012, 08:21:25 pm »

Hello mate,
Were you riding a perm?

Not JUST a cycling trip yeah yeah,, ;D   I am entered on the Making Haye starting in Cardiff on March 17th but its very likely I wont be able to ride that day so I am doing another DIY earlier in the month .Stating in Barry meandering to Kenn near Clevedon then back by a similar route.Booked it for Tuesday 13th March. Company would be great if you can do it?

I was planning on doing the Cheltenham New Flyer on the 10th and Barry's Bristol Ball Buster on the 25th ( rude not to as that one really is local for me.)
But might join you (if that's O.K?) instead of doing the Cheltenham ride. It would make a nice change and it would also free up a weekend which would please her indoors no end!
I'll see if I can get the day off.
What do I need to do to book it?
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »
Have emailed you details Rob.

« Reply #13 on: 14 February, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »
Banjo, if you ever fancy doing a perm in West Wales let me know, I've booked a few and its just getting round to doing them, I intend to use them as training for Mille Alba. I'm even considering doing a couple back to back  :-\
H
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:45:57 pm »
There's a few tills that people use on the Cambrian series that are usually half an hour out.  Organisers get to know these things and feel sorry for the undue stress it puts on riders.  The more distressing bit was the car park in Monmouth that was half an hour out when I was doing a 400 and used up 23hr 56 min of the 24 hour ticket.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2012, 11:19:18 pm »
I've done too few Audax to have noticed incorrect times on receipts but, on my 1st Audax, the till in the garage at the end had to be rebooted. This took 20 minutes and we (yes, I'd dragged taken Helen with me) were right on the time limit. I'm still not sure if we were in time.

« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:34:05 pm »
If U were put out of time by the till needing rebooting I would send a grovelling email to the organizer. Good luck hope its the first of many more successfull rides for you.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2012, 04:01:57 pm »
The Little Chef in Builth Wells is always an hour slow.  Good if you want to finish a DIY there.  Although that means missing the epic Cheese & Ham Toasties in the Cosy Corner Cafe.   :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)