Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813492 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22875 on: 11 March, 2020, 12:08:06 am »
Another day of wind rain and sunshine

crossing into England

Can see Scotland again though

Best moment of the ride - pork pie time

« Reply #22876 on: 12 March, 2020, 12:00:11 am »
Some day today, had three hours of rain.  water was running down the crack of my .... by the time I was finnished.

But one fabulous moment, mid twighlight heading up onto the moor I was passing a field where there was a lot of Lapwings, just love watching and listening to Lapwings, stopped for about 5 minutes, just wonderful, and there was also a wonderful bonus of a Snipe making that tremendous 'Drumming' noise.  Its a very strange, even spooky moorland noise that they make in flight with their tail feathers.

Worth listening out for, found this on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gallinago_gallinago.ogg

« Reply #22877 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:08:42 am »
Last ride of the week, a 52 miler taking me up to 174 for the week (a few extra miles above my target 150 per week)
Looking forward to having Fri and Saturday off now - beach tomorrow - yippee

Lots of surface water after wednesdays deluge.

some off road bits, lucky there is a bridge, the stream was in full flow

What a rainbow, looked fantastic in real life, camrea hasnt captured its vibrant colours

worn out and sill 5 mile to go.

anyway, there we have it a typical week out on my roads,  I will do another weeks worth of on the road pictures in April, see if it looks a bit more spring like. 

« Reply #22878 on: 15 March, 2020, 04:06:17 pm »
Windy 100km solo loop round some lanes up to Bridge of Allan.  A fairly grim puncture on the Carron Valley just as a shower blew through, but it brightened after that, and the remaining 70km were dry. Slow slow ascent of the crow to finish it off. No cafe stops, and i forgot my snack, but some of my wifes spicy parsnip soup really hit the spot when I got home.

« Reply #22879 on: 15 March, 2020, 04:26:10 pm »
About three miles but was on tandem with my eldest who is just big enough to pedal. Much fun and singing of "daisy daisy"

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #22880 on: 15 March, 2020, 07:13:55 pm »
Just short of 30 miles. I was thinking of redefining my vehicle as a Weathervane on the way out and it was uphill as well. I so much wanted to ride out to Middleton in Teesdale but gave up because Headwind/tired. Got home feeling exceedingly wobbly. Fearing the worst I checked my temperature. 32.3!!!! A warm drink, some sugar and a warm bath and it had gone up to 36.5. I think my temperature regulation is all over the place. I blame my ovaries.

The hedgerows are on the very edge of an explosion of green. My favourite time of year.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22881 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:05:32 pm »
29k of a projected 50, cut short when my front tyre went bang and I was deposited somewhat emphatically on the road, after doing the usual display of freestyle acrobatics.  Minor damage to self - couple of nails torn & bloody, left side scraped & tenderized in divers parts - but bike looks OK apart from an STI lever twisted out of line.  Tyre has a lovely split in it, yet to be further investigated (see above under nails). Major annoyance was the screw ring on the head of my Road Morph pump taking to the undergrowth and refusing to come out again, but Topeak, bless their cotton socks & woolly knickers, sell a rebuild kit so that's now on order.

Sitting back now waiting for the paracetamol to wear off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22882 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:26:35 pm »
Sorry to hear that T42, hope your recovery goes well.

Ever considered a velomobile? 3 wheels, wind and rain protection and mega fast!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22883 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:31:34 pm »
Sorry to hear that T42, hope your recovery goes well.

Ever considered a velomobile? 3 wheels, wind and rain protection and mega fast!

Thanks, Auntie H.  Yes, some years ago I was quite interested, although more in an unfaired tadpole at the time. Beyond my budget now, though - retired with daughter howling for gelt.  Kids - the gift that keeps on giving taking.

« Reply #22884 on: 16 March, 2020, 04:00:54 pm »
Just a couple of hours hill bashing in Upper Weardale/Rookhope.
Even quieter on the roads than usual. Making the most of it in case "they" decide to ban cycling.
Happily the chance of seeing a police car up here is remote....

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22885 on: 16 March, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »
Nice loop out to Tintern and Redbrook.  I put my back out in January, I think last week's festival of pain must have been it resetting itself because today was much, much, much less hurty.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #22886 on: 16 March, 2020, 05:22:16 pm »
58 km in the Wolds with 801m climbing. 

Rather cloudy with a biting wind and I got a puncture.  Maybe marathons are not as puncture proof as I thought, that's three this year already.  The only cyclist who passed offered assistance but I was doing fine so I just thanked him for taking the trouble.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #22887 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:17:14 am »
On Monday - a thirty mile loop to enjoy a mild, sunny day.  And also to test out a second hand recumbent (Optima Orca) that I acquired off that fleabay, and have been setting up to suit my preferences.  The route covered a good mixture of surfaces and gradients, including former railway paths along the Derwent valley; a long climb over Whittonstall to the Tyne valley; then another former railway and various quiet lanes back round to the start.  No visits to cafes or pubs, I took my own food and drink.

Back home to the news about new moves on Covid 19.  Audax and group rides are no longer an option for the foreseeable future and I've been following the discussions on this forum and elsewhere about the wisdom / ethics of leisure cycling.  Unless further restrictions come in I've taken the decision to continue with rides like this, minimizing the risks of making any demands on the NHS by using the railway paths and / or quiet roads.  And taking my own food and drink instead of using cafes or pubs. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22888 on: 18 March, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
29k of a projected 50, cut short when my front tyre went bang and I was deposited somewhat emphatically on the road, after doing the usual display of freestyle acrobatics.  Minor damage to self - couple of nails torn & bloody, left side scraped & tenderized in divers parts - but bike looks OK apart from an STI lever twisted out of line.  Tyre has a lovely split in it, yet to be further investigated (see above under nails). Major annoyance was the screw ring on the head of my Road Morph pump taking to the undergrowth and refusing to come out again, but Topeak, bless their cotton socks & woolly knickers, sell a rebuild kit so that's now on order.

Ouch! One of the good things about Topeak is precisely that they do sell spares.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22889 on: 18 March, 2020, 03:30:45 pm »
I decided to indulge in a bit of self-isolating in Richmond Park. Was surprised to see rather more people than usual doing the same.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #22890 on: 18 March, 2020, 03:34:15 pm »
Last night for a very short jaunt. 8pm was more like 2am with hardly anyone or any cars about. Shame the ones that were seemed in such a rush except the one that wouldn't overtake so felt compelled to push a bit harder uphill

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22891 on: 18 March, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »

Ouch! One of the good things about Topeak is precisely that they do sell spares.

...which arrived today and actually matched the pump!

Duly fitted in time for... absolutely nothing. :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22892 on: 18 March, 2020, 06:11:23 pm »
There's still maintenance. And spare tyres to keep inflated. And in a few months there'll be cycling (better check your waterproofs...  ;))
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22893 on: 18 March, 2020, 06:19:34 pm »
I did. I'm working from home for the foreseeable as I'm in an at risk group. Decided as I didn't have to mess about with trains I'd do a virtual commute. I left it till 11 to avoid morning traffic.

Intended an hour but did about ninety minutes in the end, just a couple close to home loops as didn't trust one of the tyres.

First ride since Jan and only my third this year :(

Hoping to do the same tomorrow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #22894 on: 18 March, 2020, 06:31:15 pm »
A little 10 mile loop in the slough area on the e trice. First non  utility ride I have ridden for a fortnight   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22895 on: 19 March, 2020, 03:37:02 pm »
Just about 20 miles in glorious sunshine on the almost deserted roads of the Durham Dales.
Making the most of it before "they" decide to lock up the over70s, healthy or not.

« Reply #22896 on: 19 March, 2020, 05:23:11 pm »
Lovely route out and round the south side of Glasgow, 108k in glorious conditions and empty roads. It felt like a bank holiday  :) Bike was going like a dream with new non lubed cables  :P
https://www.strava.com/activities/3197717384
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #22897 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »
Got out at lunchtime for a not very quick 15 miles.

Wondering if now is the time to strip the good bike down completely and fit the BB, chain rings, cassette, etc that I bought back in 2015.

I can do it piecemeal whilst I'm working from home.

I'll still have my commute/camping bike for the interim.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #22898 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:47:42 pm »
After work I did 25km. I went out and road up 3 of the sharpest climbs I can think of close to Hillsborough.

Hagg Hill - https://www.strava.com/segments/1217455
Rails Road - https://www.strava.com/segments/4480150
Cote de Bradfield - https://www.strava.com/segments/7623869

All 3 stay well over 10% for the duration. Such ludicrous roads. Lots of fun.

« Reply #22899 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:17:10 pm »
Off work today so managed to get out into Northumberland for a 55 mile ride.

20 miles out it occurred to me that I hadn't encountered very much traffic so started to keep a mental note.  From mile 20 to mile 48 I was passed by precisely 3 vehicles and 2 of those were on a short stretch of main road that I needed to use.  After 48 miles I was back into the outskirts of Newcastle so the traffic level increased rather markedly.

Another interesting thing was that although I didn't see many cars I did meet a few lambing farmers, a few folk out walking, some horse riders and other cyclists and every one of them was so friendly.  With all of them cheerful hello's and wavers were exchanged and I even had a pleasant chat with one of the farmers.  All and all a pleasant ride, oh, and the sun was out.