Author Topic: The Blob  (Read 1188 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
The Blob
« on: 30 March, 2021, 03:48:50 pm »
My brother runs a brewery in Fife and a couple of years ago he gave me a Kombucha jar for my Christmas so I could feel like I was joining in on the fermentation fun. Also because he'd intended producing kombucha but decided he CBA.

I did a couple of batches, but really the jar was too small, so I got an enormous drinks dispenser -- one of these 10 litre glass jobs with a spigot for dispensing punch -- and stuck my SCOBY in there. Made some pretty nice raspberry and ginger kombucha (separate flavours), but then kind of lost track of it. When I remembered, I had a vat of vinegar, so I just sort of left it for ages.

A few weeks ago I thought I'd better feed the SCOBY before it crawled out and came looking. Yesterday, we discovered kombucha all over the worktop and I worried it had cracked. But no. The SCOBY is simply so big that it had blocked up the jar and forced what was above it out of the top. I now have a 10 litre jar that is half SCOBY and I can't bring myself to kill it, so I'm wondering if I should get it an aquarium and see if it develops sentience.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: The Blob
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2021, 03:57:09 pm »
We need to introduce it to my sourdough starter Nero. Nero is unable to die. I treat him dreadfully but he’s still here.
Milk please, no sugar.

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2021, 04:02:31 pm »
I got myself a Mockmill from Germany at the start of lockdown when bread making ingredients were hard to find in this part of the world. I kept a sourdough going with wheat ground by it for months and then a moth looked at it funny and it got mould. Annoying, as previously I'd kept a sourdough going for YEARS in less than optimal circumstances.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:38:46 pm »
My folks got a start for rye bread starter, that they got from a friend back in '86-87'ish. It have spawned a few offspring too, I know the neighbours got one and my sister got one too roaming around. I have often thought about getting one, but it is rather volatile and even if I dragged it out of the freezer and travelled straight back here, it would be all over my suitcase by the time I walk in through the door.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ian

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:22:12 pm »
If it fails to demonstrate sentience, put a blond wig atop it and christen it Boris.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:37:23 pm »
It might be an idea to keep it away from radioactive spiders.