Author Topic: recommend a car SatNav  (Read 2226 times)

Martin

recommend a car SatNav
« on: 28 June, 2011, 10:38:27 am »
for Mrs Zoom;

has to be

User Friendly
Preferably battery powered
about 100 Sovs
UK maps only required

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: recommend a car SatNav
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:43:15 am »
I have always (until getting my Galaxy SII and thus using Wisepilot) have sworn by Navman SatNavs.

Mrs T has a S80 in her car and I have a N60.

Come to think of it, the N60 is no use to me now, would you be interested in buying it?

The s and N series have been superseded by EZY, Tourer and Panoramic models. The EZY seems to be the updated S series (everything in one box).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:56:56 am »
I have always (until getting my Galaxy SII and thus using Wisepilot) have sworn by Navman SatNavs.

Mrs T has a S80 in her car and I have a N60.

Come to think of it, the N60 is no use to me now, would you be interested in buying it?

not for a birthday prezzie Soz

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:13:57 am »
no worries, would still recommend the navmans tho, the EZY Wide is ~£69
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
I've a Garmin off of Amazon with bluetooth for about £80 - it is excellent. Full European mapping.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:31:59 am »
I've a Garmin off of Amazon with bluetooth for about £80 - it is excellent. Full European mapping.

I can use my eTrex for Europe; this is a girlie UK only one I need

« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:35:42 am »

Of course you can - but the price does not seem to vary if you get full European or UK mapping  :)

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:39:30 am »

Of course you can - but the price does not seem to vary if you get full European or UK mapping  :)

thanks; Garmin sounds good although Mrs Zoom will want prolly want to see TomTom on the box  :-\

« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:51:42 pm »
I've got a Garmin Nuvi with full EU mapping for around £100. Does the job and has speed camera warnings too.
Would definitely recommend and has the added bonus that the car charger also fits my Garmin Edge so I can charge it up from the car if needed on long drives to events.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2011, 01:05:54 pm »
I've always sworn by TomTom for idiot-proof car navigation.  It's got a nice clean user interface that does what it says on the tin.  I'm not up to date on the current models, though, so can't comment on battery life etc.

It's always going to be about the quality of the mapping though, so I tend to advise people to avoid 'bargains' and stick to one of the major brands' low-end models.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »
I loved my Garmin Nuvi but gave it to my Son when he moved out.

I bought a Tom Tom which is great but it has the very worst mounting bracket imaginable.

It's a circular "clip" about 6cm diameter that presses on to the back of the unit and hinges to a sucker.

The circular clip is a disaster of design in my opinion, making it hard to engage the unit if thebracket is already mounted to the windscreen and hard to fix to the windscreen if the unit is alreag attached.

The Garmin clip (attaches to the top and bottom of the unit) is a triumph of simplicity and I'd swap for a Garmin based on the clip alone (it's so fippin' annoying)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »
And the deciding factor comes down yet again to poorly designed brackets.  'twas ever thus.  :(

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:32:59 pm »
I've a TomTom via 125 live.  Works well and picks up all of the traffic data on route and reroutes away from delays. Works well.

The bracket I have fitted is an accessory which fits a Brodit clip and the unit cleverly drops onto it and is held by a magnet, power being supplied through a multi connector. Can be removed or placed in a second.
Works well

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »
Not sure if you've got one yet but you can get a refurbed Tomtom live 550 for £80

TomTom GO 550 LIVE Refurbished Sat Nav (was £129.99) now £79.99 delivered using code at the TomTom Store -
                        HotUKDeals

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Tomtom one so may be tempted by this offer

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2011, 12:09:28 am »
the big day arrived and the Nuvi was very well received  :)

lots of fun while I drove back from Kent and Mrs Zoom changed the car to a monster truck and the voice to Australian;

like the screens; all very familiar to an eTrex user (although more limited)

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2011, 08:46:28 am »
 Garmin Nuvi
+1

« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:31:50 pm »
Mrs B used to have a Garmin Nuvi. Replaced it with a Tomtom, which she likes much better. Reckons it's far more user-friendly (she's a technophobe, thus proving one national stereotype wrong). She agrees with Lee about the mount, though.

So . . . . how big is the market for a Tomtom with a Garmin mount?

I've a TomTom via 125 live.  Works well and picks up all of the traffic data on route and reroutes away from delays. Works well.

The bracket I have fitted is an accessory which fits a Brodit clip and the unit cleverly drops onto it and is held by a magnet, power being supplied through a multi connector. Can be removed or placed in a second.
Works well
Just spotted this. What is this accessory called, how much is it, & where can I get one? Or did you fettle it yourself?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897