Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1288631 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7050 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:16:17 pm »
Contrariwise, I weight myself pretty well every day. It is (to me) interesting to note the variations, both random and weekly. For instance, my lowest weight is usually a Thursday. I do try not to stress if it goes up, and it's nice when it goes down.
And I'm feeling just a little smug at the moment as I hit my target size this morning, a month before I aimed. However, as the main reason for getting to that weight by then was to allow some slack for the re-enacting weekends over the summer, when excess food and drink seem to be the norm, but which are now all being cancelled, it's no longer quite so important.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7051 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:09:51 pm »
Exactly. I weigh myself every day but only really compare myself to my weight from a couple of weeks before. Weighing every day also helps remove the random inconsistencies or, in pre-lockdown days, significant variations due to hydration levels or recent sporting activities, because they're easier to spot. My weight swings by anything up to 3kg during a typical week.

At 0.5kg a week I've got close to 9 months to get to my target weight. I got down to within 7kg of it a few years ago but then lost all motivation after running a marathon. Last time I was at the target weight was just after LEL in 2009.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7052 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:57:04 pm »
Last time I was at the target weight was just after LEL in 2009.

;D

In those days I would come off winter at around 76-78kg and it would take fairly severe abstinence for a couple of months to get to the target of 70kg for the summer.  This was the annual pattern for many years.

Things changed in 2016 when I started 5-2 fasting.  Since then my weight is 68-70kg year round.  No need for punishing weeks in denial of anything sweet or carbo.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #7053 on: 01 April, 2020, 06:10:02 pm »
Yeah, everyday and I got a phone app that tracks it, along with body fat, etc. ..and yeah, it's been mostly flat for the last month.
Lowest weight is usually Friday. I can also clearly see the delayes effect from eating carbs, as I'll add a kg  a day or 2 later and it'll hang around for 3-4 ways

« Reply #7054 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:58:48 pm »
Every day. A month would be too long to discover my protocol isn't doing what I wanted it to do.

« Reply #7055 on: 04 April, 2020, 12:48:42 am »
Ah. For some reason I thought cashew nuts where the 'good' nuts...turns out they're full of carbs...probably didn't help with the big jar I polished off over the last 2 weeks..

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7056 on: 04 April, 2020, 01:45:34 am »
There is a reason cashews taste sweet...

« Reply #7057 on: 08 April, 2020, 05:47:17 pm »
Curve going the right way again:D

« Reply #7058 on: 24 April, 2020, 01:19:34 pm »
Lowest weight in 2020 so far and just 4kg down on the highest I saw in Feb/Mar. Trending nicely downwards at 0.5kg/week which means there's a long way (35 weeks) to my target weight. Slow and steady (although I hope it picks up a bit when I start being able to do longer/faster runs) and eventually get back out on the bike and in the pool.

Will catch up on the weight reports next week.

[EDIT] Done. High of 98kg so far this year, today was 93.65kg (just above my weekly target of 93.5kg but I've been 0.8kg above my target for the last two weeks so the trend is definitely in the right direction.)

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #7059 on: 29 April, 2020, 01:18:22 pm »
Since lockdown, which also corresponded with retirement and a house move, I have put on about 0.5kg/week.  I have reduced the size of lunch, and need to do something about snacking particularly in the evenings.  All part of getting a new routine.  Exercise is possibly a bit less now as I do not have the routine of a daily 22 mile commute.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7060 on: 29 April, 2020, 02:25:03 pm »
Banned from cycling, I've put on a kilo in 50 days. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize that what I'm losing in muscle I'm replacing with fat. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7061 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:14:03 pm »
Big jump up!  ??? Learning to bake keto-friendly cakes was a bad idea, when you're in lockdown.
Now restricted to one cake per week.

« Reply #7062 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »
Narrator: It was at that point he tripled the recipe to make giant cakes.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #7063 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:04:39 pm »
It started out as a corn bread substitute and turned into a chocolate banana  vanilla bread/cake over 3 weeks...problem was that I ended up making too tasty for my portion control abilities, especially when its *just there!!!*.

« Reply #7064 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:26:58 pm »
My problem is also one of kitchen-proximity

« Reply #7065 on: 05 May, 2020, 03:15:47 pm »
New lockdown regime seems to be working:-

« Reply #7066 on: 06 May, 2020, 10:58:35 pm »
Right direction again, but I feel that I'm still gaining fat & losing muscle. Can't get motivated to do home workouts.

Chris S

« Reply #7067 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:27:36 am »
Right direction again, but I feel that I'm still gaining fat & losing muscle. Can't get motivated to do home workouts.

You and me both  ::-)

I'm finding daily walking is fine for mental health, but shite for offsetting an anxiety-based lockdown diet from hell.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #7068 on: 10 May, 2020, 02:56:32 pm »
I was already overweight and flabby after 6 months of working extra days, a family bereavement, and sh1t weather in February/early March. Workplace closed a week before lockdown and have been WFH since then.

Put on an estimated 4-5kg over the past 2 months. A mix of comfort eating, drinking most evenings and relatively little exercise. Much more sedentary than usual, even if I manage to get out for a walk or ride in the fresh air.

So I'm now the heaviest I've ever been I think. 1.4kg more than in January 2017, which was my heaviest at that point. (I've been avoiding weighing myself recently as it was just obvious I was fat).

I will once again try intermittent fasting, as it worked before. We'll see what happens.....also may start a regular exercise regime.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #7069 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:44:08 am »
I need to get my act together and work out a sensible plan. If it goes ahead I'm riding the Transatlantic way bike packing (race) on the 3rd of Sept (16 weeks)  2500km and a massive amount of up hill !!!  I am still cycling fit and have been ticking over on about 150 miles a week this year but now need to ramp up the training. Im 57 and only need to look at a cake to pile on a stone ! so over lockdown I've pilled on some weight (about 10 pounds) on top of what i already needed to loose, ideally i want to loose 20 pounds over the next 16 weeks. Can anyone suggest and motivational tips or success stories for this amount of weight loose over this period of time ?                             

Many Thanks

Colin

« Reply #7070 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:58:41 am »
Lowest weight for a long time this morning, continued downward trend despite a bit of a blip last week. 0.65kg above tomorrows target weight but not concerned if I miss it as there's so much variance from hydration/etc. Plus I cooked a curry yesterday which will be really easy to avoid proper portion control.

Getting back into the habit of being hungry and ignoring hunger or attempting to stave it off with a coffee or water.

« Reply #7071 on: 19 May, 2020, 12:54:42 pm »
I’ve stalled a bit the last 2 or 3 weeks - hovering around 79kgs (bmi 23.1). I’d like to hit 75kg (bmi 21.9) really, so will have to get my (not) eating act together.

Back to the time restricted feeding methinks, without the morning bacon butty...

S2L

« Reply #7072 on: 19 May, 2020, 01:14:41 pm »
More structured training, WFH so no cake or biscuits or shitty canteen food... I've effortlessly lost 5 kg since mid March.
68 kg this morning, I have to go back 30 years since the last time I weighed so little.

The difference on the bike is immense, especially when the road goes up... I can do some draggy 2-4% segments faster in head wind than I used to in tail wind

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7073 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:19:32 pm »
Being permanently at home after years and years of spending 20+ days a month in hotels or aeroplanes ought to lead to precipitate weight loss due, no?

No. It would appear not. A diet of jolly fine stuffs from the local shops, and access to a wine collection that used to get a glancing blow once a month leads to significant weight gain.

Who knew?

« Reply #7074 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:10:32 pm »
My problem is that I could avoid the canteen due to its obvious ‘quality’. Now I am around my own bread, which used to be 17 miles away...