Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471480 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2650 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:05:20 pm »
It's not Awoowoo any more :'(

My Amvee arrived this morning. There were also 3 packages from China, so the postie brought the whole lot up and handed it to me. Saves me going down to the mailbox.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2651 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:51:06 pm »
Susurration
What a great word!

(Helen Kerrane's excellent piece)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2652 on: 19 June, 2020, 03:25:50 pm »
Seems to me the paper is slightly different. A bit more mat, less glossy. It's probably cheaper but I actually think it's an improvement.

More like a padded insert ??
:D  ::-) ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2653 on: 19 June, 2020, 03:40:28 pm »

Seems to me the paper is slightly different. A bit more mat, less glossy. It's probably cheaper but I actually think it's an improvement.

I think the printing (font? colour? background?) is clearer and it's overall much easier to read. There's certainly less grey on grey.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2654 on: 19 June, 2020, 03:46:22 pm »

I think the printing (font? colour? background?) is clearer and it's overall much easier to read. There's certainly less grey on grey.

Ah, so it's not just me. I like the matt.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2655 on: 19 June, 2020, 04:27:29 pm »
Susurration
What a great word!

(Helen Kerrane's excellent piece)

Why thank you! It's that lovely sound of tyres on wet road after a shower. That constant zzzziiiippppp sound as you cycle through another puddle.

The Mayo 200 is a fabulous route, very wild countryside but not too far from towns. It's also reasonably flat for north Connacht. I'd recommend it any day, I can't guarantee you'll have a storm to go with it.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2656 on: 19 June, 2020, 05:30:53 pm »
Great crossword, and am having fun both trying to complete it AND fantasising about how to spend the £50 Wiggle I'm almost certainly not going to win, but it's all fun.
Now then: am I correct in thinking there's an error in the clue to 31 across? Clue says 20 letters but there is space for 21 letters?
Amirite?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #2657 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:33:31 pm »
Great crossword

I think 7 up is lemonade, do I get the £50?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #2658 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:47:00 pm »
Great crossword, and am having fun both trying to complete it AND fantasising about how to spend the £50 Wiggle I'm almost certainly not going to win, but it's all fun.
Now then: am I correct in thinking there's an error in the clue to 31 across? Clue says 20 letters but there is space for 21 letters?
Amirite?

« Reply #2659 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:17:31 am »
Yes to Shugg.  Also, there are two or three others (I think) where the number shown needs to be divded (3,3 instead of 6).  It's all to do with self-sufficiency!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2660 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:45:02 am »
Surely a truly self-sufficient crossword would be one in which you made up your own clues and answers?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2661 on: 23 June, 2020, 05:32:54 pm »
I remember my father used to do a crossword called the 'skeleton' where there were no black squares, you had to fill those in yourself.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2662 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:27:07 pm »
I remember my father used to do a crossword called the 'skeleton' where there were no black squares, you had to fill those in yourself.

I presume the words were already in there.

« Reply #2663 on: 25 June, 2020, 11:28:09 am »
No, but you get clues, in the normal fashion.  You get these puzzles in publications such as "Puzzler".  (I bet that's the first time I've written a sentence with three "pu's" in it!)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2664 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:20:33 pm »
September issue has dropped. A great range of article topics again, well done to the writers/editors.

One minor issue is the Komoot advert includes a discount code (yay) which expired in June (boo).
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2665 on: 16 September, 2020, 07:50:55 am »
Latest is a marked improvement IMHO in terms of content and the design/layout  :thumbsup:    Slightly surprised at the relatively few adverts - that's good if it can be sustained from a financial perspective.

« Reply #2666 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:14:50 am »
One minor issue is the Komoot advert includes a discount code (yay) which expired in June (boo).

Drop me a pm with your email address and I send you a komoot invite. This will give you the same (choice to have a free region enabled)

jf

« Reply #2667 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:08:01 am »
Joe North on Biking Bounty - genius. Makes me wonder if I should take the Camper Longflap on every ride, rather than the Pendle...

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #2668 on: 17 September, 2020, 12:08:37 pm »
Thank you to all the team that make Arrivee possible - what an accomplishment with so little resource.  I hope to have the time to one day help and contribute.

Does anyone know general timeline for when the electronic version will be uploaded to https://audax.uk/join-us/arriv%C3%A9e-magazine/?  Some friends are keen to see my article  ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2669 on: 17 September, 2020, 03:40:37 pm »
Joe North on Biking Bounty - genius. Makes me wonder if I should take the Camper Longflap on every ride, rather than the Pendle...
Has the picture I took on the A7 as we hammered it towards Longtown been used?
Trying to draft with a pheasants head bouncing around is amusing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2670 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:12:38 pm »

Conspicuous absence of a recipe for badger, I noticed...

« Reply #2671 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:17:10 pm »

Badger burger and roasted squirrel 🐿 nuts

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2672 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:30:01 pm »
Has the picture I took on the A7 as we hammered it towards Longtown been used?
Trying to draft with a pheasants head bouncing around is amusing.

Ah it's the one when I pulled out to get a good photo of it hanging there.
Bit worrying I can't remember which photo Jo asked to use only a couple of months ago...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2673 on: 23 September, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »
Latest is a marked improvement IMHO in terms of content and the design/layout  :thumbsup: 
Hoe yesssss! /Churchilldog

I've only briefly flicked through*, and 3 articles jumped out - all brilliant:
- Mille Cymru, and the horror that was The Pembrokeshire Coast Leg
- Roadkill (what more needs to be said?)
- Mental health, goals and failure. Great article El, audacious to submit it  :thumbsup:

Thankyou to all 3 writers, and of course to the production team.
I'm sure there are other good bits, I just haven't got to them yet.

*Delayed by a long weekend in the Welsh Hills  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2674 on: 24 September, 2020, 07:31:33 pm »

I hear it goes well with mushrooms?