Poll

Which pedal system would you recommend to a newbie road cyclist?

Shimano SPD
25 (45.5%)
Shimano SPD-SL
6 (10.9%)
Look Keo
5 (9.1%)
Time ATAC
3 (5.5%)
Speedplay
4 (7.3%)
Eggbeaters
0 (0%)
Toeclips!
1 (1.8%)
Flats!
11 (20%)
Other...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: What pedals?  (Read 11225 times)

Re: What pedals?
« Reply #100 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:28:44 pm »
I think the duck foot thing is overstated tbh.  I've toured with Look Keo and never really had a problem doing the amount of walking i wanted to do during a day's ride.  You wouldn't want to go for a hike in them, but trotting round a shop really isn't that hard.

I think there’s a degree of acclimatisation needed for sure and in my case I’ve only been out on them a couple of times, but I’ve nearly been base over tip a couple of times dismounting on a slippery pavement

A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #101 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:35:19 pm »
I think the duck foot thing is overstated tbh.  I've toured with Look Keo and never really had a problem doing the amount of walking i wanted to do during a day's ride.  You wouldn't want to go for a hike in them, but trotting round a shop really isn't that hard.

I think there’s a degree of acclimatisation needed for sure and in my case I’ve only been out on them a couple of times, but I’ve nearly been base over tip a couple of times dismounting on a slippery pavement

That can happen just as easily in MTB shoes, given the right conditions.

TBH, the walking in road cleats issue isn't so much that they're difficult or dangerous to walk in, it's that if you make too much of a habit of it you won't have a functional cleat left.

« Reply #102 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:57:07 pm »
Walking is normally fine but it can be an issue sometimes.

There are tea stains on the ceiling of the village hall in Great Missenden from when I went flying while tottering around the slippery tiled floor on wobbly legs after a rainy TT a few years ago.

Hike-a-bike on Speedplay is problematic as they get full of mud.  Less of an issue on other cleat types

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #103 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:57:36 pm »
TBH, the walking in road cleats issue isn't so much that they're difficult or dangerous to walk in, it's that if you make too much of a habit of it you won't have a functional cleat left.

It only takes about a mile or so of walking on a gravelly trail to completely destroy a brand new set of SPD-SL cleats. DAMHIKT.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #104 on: 20 November, 2020, 03:00:48 pm »
Hike-a-bike on Speedplay is problematic as they get full of mud.  Less of an issue on other cleat types
I've had SPDs so full of mud I couldn't clip in. It's more of a problem with some pedal designs than others and I don't know how they compare to Speedplays.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #105 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
I find walking in road cleats to be perilous on some surfaces. Shiny stone steps in pubs, cobbles, anything uneven, or bare wooden stairs.

Spds are fine, so as per previous posts, when Ive toured its been spd. If I know walking will be a bare minimum then road cleats all the way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:51:20 pm »
I've had SPDs so full of mud I couldn't clip in. It's more of a problem with some pedal designs than others and I don't know how they compare to Speedplays.

Normally when my SPDs clog up, I've managed to get them to engage with the pedal with a bit of violent stamping.  Apart from one time with a clayish mud with plenty of fine gravel mixed in, well-compacted from wandering about a campsite.  In the low temperature it had achieved the consistency of concrete, and was just sliding off the pedal.  Had to dig it out with a twig.

I've got the ATACS muddy a few times on tilebagging adventures, without problems.  They seem to behave about as well as SPDs, but perhaps slightly less inclined to clear the mud from around the cleat while pedalling, so it ends up on the carpet when you get home.  They appear to be a popular cyclocross option, so they can't be too bad in muddy conditions.

I had the Looks fail to release once due to an innocent looking pebble caught in the mechanism, which would have been awkward if it had happened on the other foot.  I've generally avoided exposing them to anything worse than a trackside puddle.

« Reply #107 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »
I think the discussion about pulling up on the pedals is missing the point.

I find that when clipped in I can put more into the pedalling because I can push the pedal forward at the top of the stroke, and possibly pull back a bit more at the bottom, rather than pulling up at the back of the stroke. On flats I am limited by the friction available between shoe and pedal at the top and bottom of the stroke.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:02:49 pm »
I find that when clipped in I can put more into the pedalling because I can push the pedal forward at the top of the stroke, and possibly pull back a bit more at the bottom, rather than pulling up at the back of the stroke. On flats I am limited by the friction available between shoe and pedal at the top and bottom of the stroke.

I'd agree with this, but would add that its usefulness is not about being able to provide more power so much as eliminating the dead spot in the pedalling cycle to give you better control at low speed/cadence.  Useful off-road, when starting off with a heavy load and when perilously close to stall speed on steep climbs.

Some overlap with the ability to pedal one-footed to get recumbents moving without having to bring your second foot up quickly.

« Reply #109 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:04:05 pm »
It's probably unweighting your foot rather than actively pulling up, except in a sprint.

And there's defintely clawing backwards at 6 o'clock.

This is if you try to pedal in circles, not stomping.

« Reply #110 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:53:13 pm »
Back to the original question. I started on flats, moved to clips and straps as a teen and have been on SPD for everything bar the mtb since 2005(ish).
I'm a fat lazy fecker so few rides can be guaranteed not to include walking. Particularly if tile hunting is involved.

I've toyed with road systems but :
a) I know how often I go arse over tit anyway, I don't need 'trying to walk in cleats' added to the risk factors
b) it's stopping me from needlessly buying a power meter
c) I have enough trouble already getting shoes that fit.
d) I would inevitably travel with the Wrong Shoes.

Sooner or later either someone will produce a decent SPD power meter or I will cave.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #111 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:29:22 pm »
I thought everyone pulled up when climbing at low revs.  Sometimes I think the cleats are going to rip out of the soles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Davef

« Reply #112 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:37:29 pm »
Back to the original question. I started on flats, moved to clips and straps as a teen and have been on SPD for everything bar the mtb since 2005(ish).
I'm a fat lazy fecker so few rides can be guaranteed not to include walking. Particularly if tile hunting is involved.

a) I know how often I go arse over tit anyway, I don't need 'trying to walk in cleats' added to the risk factors

Sooner or later either someone will produce a decent SPD power meter or I will cave.
You can get crank based power meters

Davef

« Reply #113 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:45:31 pm »

Normally when my SPDs clog up, I've managed to get them to engage with the pedal with a bit of violent stamping.  Apart from one time with a clayish mud with plenty of fine gravel mixed in, well-compacted from wandering about a campsite.  In the low temperature it had achieved the consistency of concrete, and was just sliding off the pedal.  Had to dig it out with a twig.

I've got the ATACS muddy a few times on tilebagging adventures, without problems.  They seem to behave about as well as SPDs, but perhaps slightly less inclined to clear the mud from around the cleat while pedalling, so it ends up on the carpet when you get home.  They appear to be a popular cyclocross option, so they can't be too bad in muddy conditions.

I had the Looks fail to release once due to an innocent looking pebble caught in the mechanism, which would have been awkward if it had happened on the other foot.  I've generally avoided exposing them to anything worse than a trackside puddle.
SPDs do seem to cope well with mud which they are continually exposed to in CX. They also clear well mid action first scraping then stamping on the pedal. If the pedal gets bunged up on one side there is always the other.

« Reply #114 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:54:46 pm »

You can get crank based power meters
You can get hub based ones too.

Thus far I am resisting.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #115 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:18:09 pm »

SPDs do seem to cope well with mud which they are continually exposed to in CX. They also clear well mid action first scraping then stamping on the pedal. If the pedal gets bunged up on one side there is always the other.
Not on every SPD pedal! As I said, it's down to pedal design as well as cleats. Though I have heard that ATACs are considered better for mud clearance.

« Reply #116 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:19:35 pm »
re mud and SPDs; no comment on this is really complete without mention of the binding type;  older SPDs had what I call 'platform bindings' in which there is a solid piece under the centreline of the cleat.  Amazingly this binding design persists in several pedals which are still on sale, even though these designs are at least twenty years old now. 

PD-M747, with 'platform' type SPD bindings. Models using this binding include PD-M515, PD-A515, PD-M505, PD-M324 etc

Thick mud won't always get squished out of the gap and a platform binding can sometimes  be reluctant to engage in the mud.
For about the last twenty years new model SPDs have had 'open bindings' which are much less likely not to engage when muddy.

PD-M520 with 'open' bindings; lots of other SPD models similar

Re power meter pedals; one of my chums has just bought some and is presently using three bolt cleats and shoes with them, having been an avid SPD user prior to now.  He tells me that the spindles in his pedals have all the cleverness in them and that they can be transplanted into a (non shimano) SPD pedal mechanism.    So if you really want power meter SPDs, you can probably have them this way.

cheers

Davef

« Reply #117 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:20:58 pm »

Not on every SPD pedal! As I said, it's down to pedal design as well as cleats. Though I have heard that ATACs are considered better for mud clearance.
everyone seems to use the “standard” double sided ones for CX. I do have single sided on my road bike. Can never remember model numbers.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #118 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:23:22 pm »
Brucey's observation re 'closed' and 'open' bindings mirrors my experience.
everyone seems to use the “standard” double sided ones for CX.
Mud isn't only found when riding CX!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #119 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:25:04 pm »

My bike seems to have a nice coating of mud, despite being used mostly on road of late...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #120 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:33:56 pm »
ooh you mucky pup...  still not tempted by the 'M-word'...?

Davef

« Reply #121 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:35:01 pm »

My bike seems to have a nice coating of mud, despite being used mostly on road of late...

J

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #122 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:37:36 pm »

How did that chainring get stuck in that tree?  ;D

« Reply #123 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:39:47 pm »
^ nice oak leaf garnish; full marks for presentation....?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #124 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:41:47 pm »

A truly remarkable effort. I take it this is from cycling on some of sustrans finer infrastructure?

The question is, did you wash the bike before parking it on the carpet in your hallway?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/