Author Topic: Tyneside Vagabonds 2023 Audax Events  (Read 5129 times)

Tyneside Vagabonds 2023 Audax Events
« on: 29 October, 2022, 10:28:12 am »
Entries open for most of our 2023 events on Sunday 30th October (except the C2C2C which opens 3/12/22 and two others - see below). I needed a few weeks to sort out the accounts and the GNAA donation.
There's the usual range of events including a full SR series of PBP qualifying events.
I've tried to keep the entries fees down but there will have to be some increases in entry fees where we are using Village Halls and/or providing food to cover the increased costs. I would suggest they are still very good value and a good day or longer out on your bike.
Same plan as previous years, decent events, good routes with quiet roads, a bit of scenery and some decent cafe/food stops to keep you going.
The Border Nights 400 on 13/5 and Tour of the Borders and Galloway 3/6 are currently planned without an overnight event control due to the closure of Lockerbie Lorry Park. They may both run as X-rated events if I can't find a suitable alternative, I'm working on it. Therefore I've delayed opening entries until I've exhausted all the options. I'll update when they are due to open, hopefully you'll understand but I'd rather have a confirmed plan before I open entries and ideally an overnight control.
I'll be adding some mid-week events for next summer once I confirm the dates.
First events are Newcastleton and back 200 and Winters Gibbet 100 on 11/3/23. You'll probably need to play around with the Calendar search function to see all the events but if you type "Andy Berne" in the text search box and change the Days (to search) box to 900 then you should see them all.
Hope you're looking forward to a good Audax year and some great events.
Andy

Update re 400/600 - Tyneside Vagabonds 2023 Audax Events
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2022, 05:10:55 pm »
Update on the 400/600km 2023 Events.
Both are BRM-PBP Qualifying events.
13/5/23 - Border Nights 400km www.audax.uk/event-details/9842-border_nights
3/6/23 - Tour of Borders and Galloway 600km www.audax.uk/event-details/9810-tour_of_the_borders_and_galloway
Most of you are aware we're sadly not able to use Lockerbie Lorry Park next year due to it being closed.
I can confirm we will now be using Johnstonebridge Community Centre as a control for both events.
There'll be food available and there's some floorspace in the main hall for anyone who wants to get a few hours sleep. There is also a large, grassed area outside so if you want a bit of peace and quiet you can bivvy outside.
There'll be a small drop bag option for both events from the start to Johnstonebridge and back to the finish so you can pack a mat/sleeping and or bivvy bag.
Johnstonebridge is at 227km on the 400 event.
On the TOBG 600 you will stop at Johnstonebridge at 346km southbound. The route also passes very near the Community Centre on the Northbound return at 416km so faster riders are welcome to stop again northbound providing the control is still open.
Both events are now open for entries. Entries are limited.

Re: Tyneside Vagabonds 2023 Audax Events
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2023, 10:18:25 pm »
Event Update
Newcastleton and back 200km on 11/3/23 is now full and entries are closed.
C2C2C on 23/7/23 is also full and closed
If spaces become available nearer the event then I'll reopen it, any further updates will be posted on the 'Tyneside Vagabonds Audax events' Facebook group page (you'll have to join to see them) and calendar event page on AUK website
There are currently still places available on the Winters Gibbet 100km but be aware this is often a popular event as well.
www.facebook.com/groups/549348613692725

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:29:31 pm »
You can add Northumberland Nightshift 300km on 31/3 to the closed list as well

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2023, 11:46:17 pm »
Also now on the closed list Eden Valley 200km on 25/3
It seems all the events are very popular this year.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2023, 08:38:49 am »
Winter's Gibbet 100km on 11/3 now also full as well.

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2023, 01:15:34 am »
Border Nights 400km 13/5/23 is now full and closed for entries.
There's a few places left on the Tour of the Borders and Galloway on 3/6/23 if anyone needs a 400/600 PBP Qualifying ride but I'd suggest get your entry in early.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2023, 10:43:18 am »
I had an in depth look at the Northumberland Nightshift 300km last night, looks to be a fantastic route. 

The stretch between Hawick and Newcastleton is one of my favourite bits of cycling anywhere in Scotland and Ive not ridden it for years.   

It should make for a lovely morning ride after breakfast #1 in Hawick.

Train + bike booked both ways but I suspect that I'll have to say flexible as there's the RMT strike day on 1 April. 

Will drive at a push but it doubles the journey time from Auld Reekie. 

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2023, 08:50:07 pm »
Saturday 22 April 2023
There are still spaces on the Longtown Way Round 300km event, a very good first 300 or a good option if you need a PBP qualifying ride www.audax.uk/event-details/9883-longtown_way_round
enter via the Audax UK website using links above. Usual format, not a lot of traffic for most of the route, a bit of scenery and no long steep hills. Village Hall finish with something to eat. Canny day out.
I'm ordering brevet cards early next week so if you want a place please get your entry in.
Andy

Border Nights 400 13/5/23
« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2023, 03:19:30 pm »
A few places currently available on Border Nights 400km 13-14 May for anyone who wants an entry/PBP qualifying ride. I'll close it again when it's full.
http://www.audax.uk/event-details/9842-border_nights
Andy

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2023, 08:19:40 am »
A bit easier on the eye, don't you think?
My BM helpers ride was on Monday at 15:45 by trike. Ecclefechan I needed my seat post tightening by more than multi-tool torque, spotted an house with open garage, several motorbikes and tool cabinet, borrowed a T-bar allen key. thanks! Made a quick stop in Lockebie for sandwiches and rice pudding for my saddle bag. 

Enjoyed quiet roads from Lockerbie to Selkirk - just a few cars passed me in over 70Km, even the A7 from Selkirk to Gala was not at all busy. MacDonalds in Galashiels came much sooner than I expected at 22:20 had a substantial feed. The next section on the A72 from Gala to Peebles  I had one very slow pass - oh-oh..what's going on? .. then realised it was a police vehicle, I don't think the driver was checking me out just being very considerate.

Got to my stop at the Albert Watson Hut near Tweedsmuir at 01:30. Kettle on for instant porridge plus rice-pudding here be the tin-opener.  Knowing I had to be at Johnstonebridge by 06:45 meant a short break but bed and three duvets for hour and a half of proper sleep. Locked up then riding through Tweedsmuir I was surprised to see the telephone exchange door open and lights on, no vehicle outside. Went inside to check for bodies, but just someone had forgotten to lock the place  - probably several days ago.. called BT security number on  notice-board, I wonder whether even option 1 'in case of terrorist attack' would have raised a response at 03:30hrs.

I got through late morning and was thanked for reporting -J.B. arrived with time to spare another McMeal and then the least  appealing  part of the route to Abindon over Beatock summit  - I am sure Andy would concede it's just necessary to get the job done. Quick coffee at Abington then on the way back to Elvanfoot I diverted through Crawford just to add some interest - (it's not very). Dumfries I treated myself at the frothy bike co. not cheap but good especially after a tour of McD's. A nice improvement to  route out of Dumfries via Shearington.

By now it was fairly warm in the sun and a 40 min. nap on a bench was time well spent. sped  up a bit  after this and finished in a full value 26 hours. Despite being harder and taking longer than GNR 400 on Saturday, I recovered faster after taking my time and getting some sleep. Very glad that I had plenty of warm kit.  See you all at Johnstonebridge C.C. a week Saturday.

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2023, 11:39:27 am »
Yes, thankyou

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2023, 06:02:12 pm »
A public thank you to Andy and the whole of his team.  From the route/control planning, to the communications to riders, to the TLC on the day, this is a fantastic example of 'if Carlsberg did audax...'

Events - Saturday 16 September 2023
« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:20:49 pm »
Saturday 16 September 2023
200km Four Tops www.audax.uk/event-details/9839-the_four_tops
117km Three Valleys www.audax.uk/event-details/10178-the_three_valleys
Start/Finish in Ponteland
I'm ordering Brevet cards after the weekend so if you want to guarantee yourself a place on either of these events please get your entry in by next Monday. Very limited entries, if any after that.
Bargain entry fee of £5 - it was planned as a pub finish but we're now going to use Merton Hall as most of you like some TLC when you finish and something to eat and drink. I haven't changed the entry fee so don't expect the full a la carte option but the kettle will be on and there'll be something to eat.

Update on Tyneside Vagabonds 2023 Audax Events
« Reply #14 on: 27 October, 2023, 12:43:12 pm »
GNAA Donation
We’re making a donation of £4409.81 to the Great North Air Ambulance Charity this year from the proceeds of the Audax events (£4350.96 event profits and £58.85 cash donations)
I think most are aware we run these events on a not-for-profit basis and all the helpers are volunteers. We budget for them to be just above break even but still try and give you a good value for money event.
As a lot of the events have been very popular, we’ve been able to make a bigger donation than we planned for, so some thanks are due.
To all the volunteers who’ve helped run the events and make them a success.
To all the Café’s, Community Organisations, and Village Halls who have supported the events. I'll thank them all individually but there's probably too many to list here but please support them particularly over the winter. I need them to be there next year to continue running the events.
To everyone who entered an event, even if you didn’t ride you are what makes the events special.
Thanks, and hope to see you next year.
Keep pedalling.
Andy

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2023, 01:09:25 pm »
That's terrific work, Andy! :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2023, 08:53:47 pm »
Well done Andy  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)