Author Topic: Installing 12 spd SRAM NX drivetrain questions  (Read 963 times)

Installing 12 spd SRAM NX drivetrain questions
« on: 27 February, 2020, 11:37:41 pm »
Well I've bought the NX 12 drivetrain and am sort of half way through fitting. Drivetrain didn't come with any instructions and the SRAM videos on YT are of the GX and seem to miss out bits so very disappointing. I wish SRAM had produced better instructional and more detailed videos or even bothered to supply proper fitting instructions  :(

What I've noticed is there is some play on the derailleur bolt that goes into the hanger and the play, at least to me, is disconcerting after attachment. Apparently a lot of people have mentioned this online (for both GX and NX) but many have said they didn't think it affected the performance of the derailleur. Anyone had issues with their's?  ???

One thing I'd like advice on is how do you know how much chain to fit. I ordered 3 for my Challenge Furai recumbent and I've no idea how you measure off to get the correct length. The links you get to join up the chain apparently are fit and forget. They cannot be reopened so I don't really want to be messing about with a chain riveter which may affect the performance of the chain.

Re: Installing 12 spd SRAM NX drivetrain questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2020, 12:07:33 am »
IIRC there should be a workshop manual on the SRAM website.

Re the free play; this may or may not manifest itself once the chain is under tension.

Re the chain length. Join two chains and temporarily (eg using a piece of bent wire) join the unshortened full  chain at the length which allows the chain to just be under tension in the small sprocket. The 'joint' in the chain will have ends hanging out of it and won't pass over or through anything, but that is Ok, it doesn't have to, to get the chain the right length.   Then (manually  if you have to ) derail the chain onto the largest sprocket and see how the rear mech copes with the chain.

Once you are happy with the length you can shorten the chain and join it using the proper joining link.

hth

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2020, 12:19:53 am »
One thing I'd like advice on is how do you know how much chain to fit. I ordered 3 for my Challenge Furai recumbent and I've no idea how you measure off to get the correct length. The links you get to join up the chain apparently are fit and forget. They cannot be reopened so I don't really want to be messing about with a chain riveter which may affect the performance of the chain.

No idea about this 12 speed stuff, but the rule of thumb is "enough that the drivetrain works properly in big:big plus a bit if you anticipate extending the boom at all".  Presumably with 1x you don't have to worry about running out of derailleur capacity and the return-side chain going slack (which is relatively undramatic on recumbents, and greatly preferable to things jamming up).

I'm in the habit of keeping some clean worn-out chain around for these sorts of experiments.  It doesn't matter if you weaken a chain by splitting and re-joining links if it's only going to be fitted for 5 minutes to determine the correct length.  Otherwise, I'd suggest bodging the chain together midway with a cable-tie or something - it won't be able to run, but you should get an idea of what the spring tension will be like in the given sprocket.  Not sure how you'd work it out theoretically, given that it's as much about leg length as it is about drivetrain components; you'd need accurate measurements of everything.  Obviously if in doubt it's better to err on the side of longer.

ETA: Crosspost with Brucey

« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »
That's a good option/suggestion from you guys which I'll resort to if I can't make any sense of the stuff on YT. As regards getting resources from the SRAM website like a step by step PDF it's pathetic. There is nothing readily available which means having to scour their support materials and hope you hit the right link. This should be provided alongside anything on the SRAM drivetrain but it's not.

« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:52:53 pm »
you are right the documents ought to be better searchable by relevant model, which would be easier.  And the NX 'family' is not amongst those listed, which isn't helpful either; I don't particularly like the way the information is arranged either.  However in about two minutes I set the filters for SRAM Mountain and SRAM MTB and the first or second hit was this

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-7518-008-100_rev_b_1x_mtb_mechanical_derailleurs_eeu.pdf

which appears to be what you need...?

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 29 February, 2020, 05:12:20 pm »
Thank you. Yes someone else pointed this out so I managed to get this downloaded last night it's such a shame that we've got to hunt for them. Even their instructional video isn't very good and am using this as a reference.