Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2959839 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22125 on: 15 March, 2020, 12:46:36 pm »
I switched to TSB because I was pissed off with Barclays, there's a branch in town and they paid 5% on balances.

TSB are now closing the branch in town and only pay 1.5% on balances, so I'll be looking to switch soon.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #22126 on: 16 March, 2020, 07:29:38 am »
I bank with Nationwide, and have always been happy with them.  Thinking about it. it must be the best part of 20 years I've been with them!

If you're considering switching a current account to them  it is worth finding someone who already banks with them as they offer a referral bonus - paid to both the referrer and the referree. I think some of the other banks do similar.

I could rant about Natwest, to be more in the spirit of the thread...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22127 on: 16 March, 2020, 08:36:38 am »
the sheer joy that is PDF markup

Tell me about it. Or rather, don’t tell me about it - I’ve already written the fucking book on this one.

Ps I’ve been with Co-op bank for 25+ years. Never had a single complaint about them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22128 on: 16 March, 2020, 10:34:00 am »
I bank with Nationwide, and have always been happy with them.  Thinking about it. it must be the best part of 20 years I've been with them!

If you're considering switching a current account to them  it is worth finding someone who already banks with them as they offer a referral bonus - paid to both the referrer and the referree. I think some of the other banks do similar.

I could rant about Natwest, to be more in the spirit of the thread...

I've been with NatWest since I was at university.  Never a problem with them.

I had previously been with Nationwide and had nothing but problems.

My first bank account was a Girobank account.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22129 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:06:16 pm »
I bank with both Nationwide and NatWest.

I've had slightly more hassle with NatWest, but I've had a lot more interaction with them, so more opportunity for them to cock things up.

All banks are incompetent-evil, surely?

« Reply #22130 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:12:25 pm »
The annoying thing is, I had a business account with HSBC for years, with no issues, but closed it not that long ago. Apparently it's beyond possibility that they check back on that as well. Aresholes.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #22131 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:21:26 pm »
HSBC are fine until you want to do anything, like, you know, change address, create a joint account, sort out power of attorney etc. Then to bureaucratic Hell you go.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #22132 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:36:50 pm »
I find it's very variable which banks are shit. Co-op in Brum are terrible and don't want community accounts and will say so. NatWest were great and terrible depending on the local branch. HSBC are atrocious for community bank holders. Santander tried to make me use phones till I complained x2 and then they coughed up compo cos they could do it by online message afterall. Royal Bank of Scotland were just awful awful awful all round, the only thing they did competently was CLOSE the account which I did after keeping it at 0 to piss them off for years.

I've managed to get a new NatWest charity account up and running smoothly which is a fucking miracle, I find once the NatWest accounts are up they're reasonably good.

I think it's worth checking your local branches and seeing which is OK, but even then mileage varies as banks close branches or move staff all the time. HSBC were chosen for another charity account as per above cos local branch were great, then great person left and it's been a clusterfuck since. HSBC do not understand "deaf, only call on certain phone so person can hear" and couldn't stick to times.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #22133 on: 16 March, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
One of our town councillors came out with: "Morbidity issue are not age related at all" on the topic of coronavirus and the elderly...

It's OK - I had a rant at him: "I urge you isolate yourself from your keyboard until such times are you can get a grasp of the basic facts."

Practically all of his posts are irrelevant, incomprensible, annoying or amusing, but finally he has hit on an important topic, and he gets it totally WRONG!

You can ignore a pest, but not a menace.

He finished up his message with "I for one will be continuing to be a community leader, being careful as I must which is a 2 way thing but acting on their behalf!" - doesn't that make you feel safe?!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #22134 on: 17 March, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
At last, the rain has stopped for now.

Still, the bedroom's in a state, the spare room's also not an option (I've been building bookshelves in there) so tonight we shall be camping on an airbed in the living room!

...and now the bedroom's in even more of a state, because part of the ceiling has fallen in. :facepalm:

So, a month later, and after the roof was apparently fixed a couple of weeks ago (though not the ceiling, yet - still in the process of arranging that) - it's leaking again. But worse, and now it's reached the bike room (next door) as well. I was thinking about going on Zwift for the first time in about a year, and opened the door to find water pouring on to my lovely purple bike. :'(

That means no turbo for me (I'll lend it out to someone, I hope - there's demand for such things at the moment, and given we're already one room down in living space, I just don't have space for it).

Can we cancel 2020 now, please? I've had enough. :(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22135 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:03:54 pm »
That's rotten :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22136 on: 17 March, 2020, 10:07:07 pm »
Sorry to hear that hope it gets sorted soon.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22137 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:06:25 am »
NatWest were great and terrible depending on the local branch.
NatWest local branch - I remember those.
There's no longer a single branch in the Forest of Dean district, they closed the lot. Even the big towns just outside the forest, Chepstow and Monmouth, both closed. If I put my postcode into the website Stroud is my nearest, about 15 miles distant if I recall correctly. Only if you're a very strong swimmer, due to the small matter of the river Severn it's actually 45 miles. Central Gloucester is my nearest, that's about an hour to get to.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22138 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:29:57 am »
NatWest were great and terrible depending on the local branch.
NatWest local branch - I remember those.
There's no longer a single branch in the Forest of Dean district, they closed the lot. Even the big towns just outside the forest, Chepstow and Monmouth, both closed. If I put my postcode into the website Stroud is my nearest, about 15 miles distant if I recall correctly. Only if you're a very strong swimmer, due to the small matter of the river Severn it's actually 45 miles. Central Gloucester is my nearest, that's about an hour to get to.
Wow! But are there branches of other banks in eg Lydney or Cinderford? Or at least Chepstow and Monmouth? Ross?

For me NatWest is my nearest physical bank – Barclays, HSBC etc all closed. But central Bristol so quite a different situation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22139 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:14:18 am »
Ross, I forgot about there.  Also closed.

Yes, Lloyds is still here (Lydney, Coleford and Cinderford) and the branches were extremely busy with people switching in the run up to the NatWest branches closing.  There may be others, I don't notice.  I'll move my personal account to Lloyds when I find a correctly shaped tuit. 

[Edited to add] Annoyingly I find myself at a loose end at the moment, this would be an ideal time to sort this out.  Except that I want to do it in branch not over the phone to add my small few points to the branch usage statistics.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22140 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:54:04 am »
Big Bank "This branch is not profitable"
Me "You made £4.3bn profit last year. Does not compute"

It's far too late, but I wish we'd been more proactive with bank closures.

Four towns, four banks. One branch in each town, surely, not all four in one town.  :demon:
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #22141 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
We still have a Natwest, Barclays and Lloyds, though HSBC closed (and the Post Office, just about to return). I presume that reflects the older demographic.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22142 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:26:49 pm »
When we came here, we had all four big banks and a Proper post office. They all closed about three years ago within a couple of months of each other. The post office did the re-location into the back of a shop thing.  There is still a sign in the window of the ex Lloyds directing customers to the Newcastle Emlyn branch, which also closed last year.   ::-)
We do, however, have a bank for two hours on a Wednesday morning in the town car park, which I use when someone annoyingly sends us a cheque.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22143 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:41:03 pm »
We do, however, have a bank for two hours on a Wednesday morning in the town car park, which I use when someone annoyingly sends us a cheque.

Most banks allow you to pay cheques (up to a certain value) in via an app on a phone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22144 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »
Good job you're not an audax organizer!  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22145 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:46:26 pm »
We also have a credit union, who seem to be a bit like a building society, maybe, as far as I can make out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22146 on: 18 March, 2020, 01:23:03 pm »
I've found myself cycling along behind a mobile Lloyds bank on the B-roads of Worcestershire a couple of times.  I'm sad to report that it isn't horse-drawn.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22147 on: 18 March, 2020, 02:30:39 pm »
SO at X
L into Grand Union Canal
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22148 on: 18 March, 2020, 02:44:39 pm »
SO at X
L into Grand Union Canal
Nah:
SO at X
Control on LHS, Country Girl
R from control
Info question: depth of Grand Union Canal

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22149 on: 18 March, 2020, 02:45:37 pm »
SO at X
L into Grand Union Canal

Thank you.   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.