Author Topic: Poor Student, 07/01/2017  (Read 35112 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Poor Student, 07/01/2017
« Reply #50 on: 20 December, 2016, 04:35:49 pm »
At this time of year rain might be preferable to the alternative (ice, snow....).

2012 - breezy, mostly cloudy and cold but little rain  :thumbsup:
2014 - rain, roads badly flooded, epic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2015 - cold and wet  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #51 on: 20 December, 2016, 08:15:01 pm »
my excuse from the potential misery is that i have to be somewhere else that saturday, otherwise i'd join in.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #52 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:22:02 pm »
2014 was quite special.  I got accused of having sonar in my bar bag to spot potholes under the water.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #53 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:28:21 pm »
Looks like it's going to be 'take your chances" on the trains to and from of London - no bike reservations available.  I don't recall it being a problem in the past, but it's always a worry.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #54 on: 27 December, 2016, 11:37:08 am »
Don't forget its widdershins this year. Get some practice in.

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 27 December, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »
Ha, I remember many a time riding our bikes backwards like that as a kid. We also did jumps on the bike that way around when just riding backwards got a bit easy.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #56 on: 28 December, 2016, 02:07:29 am »
Looks like it's going to be 'take your chances" on the trains to and from of London - no bike reservations available.  I don't recall it being a problem in the past, but it's always a worry.
is that GWR or chiltern railways? Chiltern now offer an option to oxford parkway from marylebone. more convenient for the start than oxford station.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Redlight

« Reply #57 on: 29 December, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »
is that GWR or chiltern railways? Chiltern now offer an option to oxford parkway from marylebone. more convenient for the start than oxford station.

That was GWR. I wasn't aware of Parkway station. That does look like an easier option, although I presume it's a slightly roundabout route to Peartree as there's no apparent access to the A34 from the station itself, if Google Maps is to be believed.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #58 on: 29 December, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
Just realised how late I've left entering - now less than 2 weeks.  Went through OK from AUK website so assuming as you've got my money I'm in...?
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #59 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »
Are the arrows on the outline map on the Auk calender page pointing in the wrong direction for the 2017 ride?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-41/

« Reply #60 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:24:16 pm »

That was GWR. I wasn't aware of Parkway station. That does look like an easier option, although I presume it's a slightly roundabout route to Peartree as there's no apparent access to the A34 from the station itself, if Google Maps is to be believed.

Its much closer than the main station though.   Just head up the oxford road and cut through 5 mile Drive, then its a shot scoot down the hill to the Park and Ride.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #61 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:33:18 pm »
Just realised how late I've left entering - now less than 2 weeks.  Went through OK from AUK website so assuming as you've got my money I'm in...?

Not sure, how does a big yellow duck sign its name?

Everybody that I've seen entry for has got a place, which leads to...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #62 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:35:27 pm »
[Colonel]...I'm not having things getting silly.[/Colonel]

I'm going to cap this.

19 17 10 spaces left.

Redlight

« Reply #63 on: 29 December, 2016, 11:06:04 pm »

Its much closer than the main station though.   Just head up the oxford road and cut through 5 mile Drive, then its a shot scoot down the hill to the Park and Ride.

All good stuff. Tickets are cheaper, provided I finish in time to get the train I've booked back, and according to my calculations it's only about 3km to the start. Still means leaving home at 5.30 to get to the station, but at least the roads are quiet  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #64 on: 31 December, 2016, 10:21:56 am »

I'm going to cap this.

19 17 spaces left.

Make that 18.  I had an off on black ice yesterday so will not be starting.  Nothing broken but badly bruised hip requiring rest, TLC and physio before I consider two wheels again.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #65 on: 31 December, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »

I'm going to cap this.

19 17 spaces left.

Make that 18.  I had an off on black ice yesterday so will not be starting.  Nothing broken but badly bruised hip requiring rest, TLC and physio before I consider two wheels again.

I am sure I have read that red wine has anti-inflammatory powers and has been known to reduce the perception of pain.  :thumbsup:

BB 
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #66 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:18:31 pm »
Just registered online with PayPal. I hope I'm not too late? Looking forward to kick-starting 2017 with my 3rd Poor Student

Arthur.  :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #67 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:11:02 am »
I've closed entries - anything post-now will be put on a reserve list, on first-come first-served basis, pending notified withdrawals.

« Reply #68 on: 03 January, 2017, 02:54:28 pm »
Hi,
I entered yday with paypal .
Hope this means I am in???
Signed -Nick Allen -but will answer to most things.
thanks and hope I see you on Saturday.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #69 on: 03 January, 2017, 03:14:28 pm »
Yes, you made the cut...

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #70 on: 03 January, 2017, 03:59:01 pm »
All being well, I'm up for this, wanted to do this for years. I've not had a great mileage prep in 2016, think that my longest ride was 40 miles or so. But my hope is low gearing, and steady pace, plus some pain will get me round. I wonder am I alone in not having done any long rides / training, or am just being super optomistic that willpower and non-faffage will get me round (I did do the Barbury Bash a few years ago, and failed due to being 6 minutes too late to the penultimate control due to faffage)?

« Reply #71 on: 03 January, 2017, 05:10:45 pm »
Great -thanks!
see you on Saturday.

« Reply #72 on: 03 January, 2017, 05:17:12 pm »
(Reply to EMnut)
Non-faffage is important, especially at this time of year.  In my experience winter 200s tend to be slower because (a) it's cold - I seem to travel more slowly when it's cold than on a warm summer's day, and (b) some of the ride will be in the dark (some might get round before sunset, but your post suggests you won't be one of them) and again riding tends to get slower in the dark.  So to give yourself the best chance you will need to keep down the time spent in cafes. 

Bantam Tearooms in Chipping Campden is very nice, but can be very slow.  And once you're sat down in a nice warm room it's a bit more difficult to get going again.  I would suggest getting something nutritious and easily digestible from the general store opposite the "town hall".  Again, Summer Tearoom in Malmesbury can be very slow.  The garden centre before you get to Malmesbury might be quicker; I've never used it.  When I've done PS I've always stopped at the garage just outside the town.  It's pretty soulless, and thus doesn't encourage you to linger! 

If you can get yourself in a small group after Malmesbury you'll probably finish more quickly.  It's reasonably flat, and in a group you can share the effort and the navigation in the dark.

You'll enjoy it - PS is a lovely ride.  I've done it 10 times, in a wide range of weather conditions (but usually wind!)

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #73 on: 03 January, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »
I seem to get my longer rides in during the winter now due to childcare and summer holiday issues (all school holidays become no cycling possible zones). I did an Abingdon to Bristol your last year, so got a mid winter 200 miles in 2 days done, and managed that OK. I'll probably start conking out at the 80 mile mark, then after I'll plod, but quite used to keeping going in zombie fashion if need be. I'll be very happy to get round however long it takes, and am really looking forward to this

« Reply #74 on: 03 January, 2017, 06:59:18 pm »
Stop panicking P ... you will be fine. You have enough experience to pace yourself around.  Let's make sure we have enough food and drink on us to just crank out the first 80 miles with minimum faffing.    Then we have the last 40 miles on familiar, flat roads.   

I now have my full length mudguards on and when combined with my larger post Christmas frame should provide you with a lovely wind break if necessary!