Author Topic: Gastroscopy & Golonoscopy Tests  (Read 2014 times)

Gastroscopy & Golonoscopy Tests
« on: 14 November, 2008, 04:33:36 pm »
I've been diagnosed as anaemic, they have put me on iron tablets, OK so far, but they want me to have an Gastroscopy & Golonoscopy tests the latter I don't mind, but the gastroscopy I'm shit scared of it and I hate having anything in the back my mouth and I'm sure I will gag has anyone here had this done :(

Re: Gastroscopy & Golonoscopy Tests
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:41:10 pm »
I have.

I had just a 'numbing' spray down my throat, no sedative etc. It was intensely uncomfortable and scary, the tube feels very rigid and hard when it is in your throat.

My dad had the same test, and they gave him a general. If you are scared by the thought of the gastroscopy, I think you should ask if you can have a general.

I'd rather be absolutely conscious and in control than half-conscious, which is why I turned down the sedative+muscle relaxant. But then I'm odd and have opted to have my teeth drilled without anesthetic 'cause I don't like needles.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »
I had one a few years ago, it was not the most comfortable of procedures.  You can have Medazalan (?sp) which means you probably won't remember anything about it afterwards.  They may allow you to have a G.A. this normally depends on other factors though.  If you don't ask you won't know. 

Tell them of your concerns.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:05:13 pm »
I've had both gastrocopy and colonoscopy on numerous occasions.

The new scopes used for gastroscopy are much thinner and more flexible than even a few years ago.  If you're concerned about it, talk to the gastroenterologist or to the GE clinic nurse.  I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you and explain the options.

It can be a bit disconcerting but it doesn't hurt.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »
My wife had a Gastroscopy a couple of years ago ... she was given a light general <I can't spell the word!>

... she came round pretty quickly but was dozy for a while .... it was highly amusing when she was getting dressed to go home and put her leg through a bra strap thinking it was her pants  ;D ;D ;D ;D

... and the best bit, there was no problem found  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2008, 07:57:08 pm »
I had gastroscopy fairly recently.  I didn't go for the near total sedation option, only the numbing throat spray.  It was hardly pleasant, but it's just one of those things you just have to be strong about and get it over with.  If I ever had to go again, I'd still go with the throat spray.  The whole procedure only lasts a few minutes.

I was a bit uncomfortable at the back of my throat for a day or two after, and full of wind immediately after!

Coincidently, I also had severe anaemia (among other symptoms) and the reason for the gastroscopy was to test for Coeliac disease - anaemia seems to be a very common symptom.  I had been blood tested for coeliac before the gastroscopy and my gut was biopsied when the endoscope was down there.

I don't know your symptoms etc. and I'm not a Dr., but have you been tested for Coeliac disease?  It often goes undiagnosed, so it might be worth checking with the GI clinic/your GP before you go.

Coeliac disease is just a severe intolerance to gluten and is treated with a strict gluten free diet for life.  It was the best thing to happen to me.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »
I had gastroscopy.  I have a strong gag reflex - it's often associated with asthma, but, unfortunately, so are gastric problems.

It was very uncomfortable, but not painful or too unpleasant.  I had a sore throat after, but that was it.

FTR, there wasn't the ulcer they expected, and I managed to change stuff to stop the potential ulcer they did find from developing.
Getting there...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »
I had a gastroscopy about 15 years ago. I went for the sedation, the doctor said 'you're a big lad, we'll give you a double dose'. I woke up half way through and they had to give me some more sedation. I was meant to sleep for three or four hours afterwards, but I woke whilst being wheeled back to the recovery room, and I was sent home ten minutes later.

« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:42:20 am »
many thanks for all your replys,
still not looking forwards to it hope it's after Christmas