Author Topic: Arthroscopic knee surgery  (Read 1879 times)

Jes

Arthroscopic knee surgery
« on: 18 November, 2008, 10:53:41 am »
I am having surgery tomorrow to repair torn medial cartilage and suspected torn posterior cruciate ligament in knee. I'm not new to knee surgery having had reconstructive knee surgery years ago - amongst other lesser ops. That worked so well that I spent the next 14 years running marathons and ultra distance races before turning to cycling five years ago. I've been told that I will need two weeks of doing nothing and no weight bearing followed by six to eight weeks off the bike and that that time scale depends on what is found and what can and cannot be repaired.

It's the time off the bike I'm worried about.  Has anyone had anything like this and what did you do to stop yourself going completely bonkers. And, did it work? I am hoping to do an SR series before LEL......

Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
had same operation about 4 yrs ago and was back at work a month later, however I really could of done with longer off TBH. That was October, back at work in November but not back on a bike until January and that was just an excercise bike and light weights to build strength. Have paitence and all will be well, its still not great now but i can run about and still play football as well as i could back then, but kneeling down and such can be painful sometimes, worse in winter but then thats probably due to he cold and dodgy joints all round  ;) shoudl really hang up my boots.

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2008, 11:04:38 am »
I was non-weight bearing for 2 months and off the bike for 5 months last winter. I didn't do much different to stop myself going bonkers. I read, worked, blogged, thought.  It worked.

With some motivation I think you'll be able to get fit enough for an SR Series and LEL next year, depends on how fit you are now and how much weight you put on while you are immobile. Don't take any risks though, one can do a SR Series anytime and LEL will come round again.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2008, 01:38:46 pm »
I've had a couple of arthroscopy ops - stay off the bike for a couple of months - BUT when you can get back riding it's the best thing you can do ... rotational exercise, sitting down and with no weight thrusting down on the knee. 

I would suggest you stay away from a fixed for a while ;D ;D - just spin in lower than you would normally use gears

Rob

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2008, 04:15:05 pm »
Good luck with the op Jes.

I am also going under the knee arthroscopic knife next month. My Orthoplod has said that I would be off my feet for a day, hobbling for a week, champing around for another, rehabilitating for the third and back on the bike on the fourth. I cannot say if he is an optimist or not!
If you are having ligament reconstruction at the same time as meniscal trimming, I suspect you need to double those times; a friend of mine (non cyclist) had an ACL repair this year and was off for a good 8 weeks.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2008, 09:55:18 pm »
How did it go, Jes?