Author Topic: Weak and weary  (Read 6959 times)

LEE

Re: Weak and weary
« Reply #25 on: 11 December, 2008, 03:28:54 pm »
Came across an ill cross-country skier on langrenn.com who claimed that if you have a really good day, training or racing-wise

Definitely seems to be the case that intense training impairs the immune response for a time.

After about 90 minutes of running, blood glucose levels begin to drop (assuming the runner hasn’t been taking in adequate amounts of carbohydrates), triggering the release of stress hormones, particularly cortisol.

These hormones, in turn, suppress and stress many components of the immune system, especially the innate system. Phagocytes and NK cells become less efficient at killing microbial invaders; macrophages don’t communicate as well with lymphocytes. The levels of one of the most important antibodies in saliva and the mucous membranes, IgA, drop dramatically. These are just a few stress hormone-induced changes to the immune system
- A. Boffin.

Full Article

cometworm

« Reply #26 on: 11 December, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »
Came across an ill cross-country skier on langrenn.com who claimed that if you have a really good day, training or racing-wise

Definitely seems to be the case that intense training impairs the immune response for a time.

After about 90 minutes of running, blood glucose levels begin to drop (assuming the runner hasn’t been taking in adequate amounts of carbohydrates), triggering the release of stress hormones, particularly cortisol.

These hormones, in turn, suppress and stress many components of the immune system, especially the innate system. Phagocytes and NK cells become less efficient at killing microbial invaders; macrophages don’t communicate as well with lymphocytes. The levels of one of the most important antibodies in saliva and the mucous membranes, IgA, drop dramatically. These are just a few stress hormone-induced changes to the immune system
- A. Boffin.

Full Article

Much obliged. Once I can focus my eyes properly I will have a read :-)

« Reply #27 on: 11 December, 2008, 06:24:40 pm »
Well, that rest on Tuesday seems to have done the job. And the mince pie. And some Woolly tlc. I feel totally recovered!  :thumbsup:

Poor cometworm. Get well soon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 11 December, 2008, 08:00:16 pm »
I think that I am undoubtedly suffering from the nastiest infection I have had for about 6 years.

<moan>

<wheeze>

<weak splutter>

<sub-orgasmic sneeze>

Edit: I think I know why. My daughter removed a large quantity of my beard the other day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 11 December, 2008, 08:55:19 pm »
Oh noes!

Can Mrs Wow knit you some form of chin-warmer 'till it grows back?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #30 on: 11 December, 2008, 09:03:16 pm »
My daughter removed a large quantity of my beard the other day

2 weeks before Christmas!? What was she thinking?

Poor Wow.
Poor 'worm.

GWS both. Look on the bright side: these lurgys should confer immunity to see you through Chrimbo nicely.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #31 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
Well I am not feeling so good today. And to make matters worse someone broke in last night and stole a lot of my whisky.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #32 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:14:22 am »
Funny, that.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #33 on: 12 December, 2008, 11:13:43 am »
Pure coincidence madam, I assure you...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #34 on: 12 December, 2008, 06:23:39 pm »
:-* :-* :-*

Sammy, did I mention that my sis has formally, officially, finally dumped The Rotter?  :D

Yayness!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #35 on: 13 December, 2008, 09:21:41 pm »
:-* :-* :-*

Sammy, did I mention that my sis has formally, officially, finally dumped The Rotter?  :D

Yayness!
And she's now picked up her remaining stuff from his flat, and is OUTTA THERE!  :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #36 on: 13 December, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »
You know I've been talking to her a fair bit over the last few weeks and she never once mentioned any of it :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium