Author Topic: Damned COPD  (Read 1551 times)

Damned COPD
« on: 15 December, 2008, 11:50:37 am »

Early this year I had a bug, trouble breathing, doctor gave me inhaler. It was brill, I used it for a bit, then found I didn't need it anymore.

Just recovered from chesty/flu/throat bug. And I'm struggling again. If I inhale some cig smoke, cheap perfume, air freshener, then it feels like my lungs have filled up with porridge and a compression band is round my chest.

Found old inhaler, a puff or two and the symptoms go away.

I did some digging on the weekend, and according to some research, once you have COPD, you have it for life.  ::-)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Damned COPD
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2008, 11:56:42 am »
Pretty much, though there is a lot that can be done to manage the condition if it is causing chronic concerns, or treat episodes if it is only sporadic.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2008, 12:47:09 pm »
There's a difference between COPD and asthma.
Chronic bronchitis was described as productive cough for most mornings for at least 3 months every year. This is irreverible.
If you symptoms improve enormously with an inhaler, they are reverisible (asthma).
It seems much of your trouble is precipitated by infection and treatable/reversible.
Chin up!
GWS!
Make sure you have an inhaler for emergencies.

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2008, 01:22:02 pm »

Make sure you have an inhaer for emergencies.

Well, I had mislaid it . . .

Found now, so all is well. Just seems daft to need it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2008, 01:29:20 pm »

Make sure you have an inhaer for emergencies.

Well, I had mislaid it . . .

Found now, so all is well. Just seems daft to need it.

It is no more daft to need an inhaler for emergencies than to need a p****** kit.
Occasions arise.
5h1t happens
That's life.