Author Topic: I have a chest infection again  (Read 15832 times)

I have a chest infection again
« on: 19 September, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
I've managed to get through most of the cold/flu season without a bug, but after the Surrey Hills ride last  Sunday and a very stressful day on Monday and Tuesday I started to feel the beginnings of one. It's now in the process of moving onto my chest and is making me wheezy with asthma and weak. It doesn't help my chest that we have two industrial dehumidifiers and two industrial dryers in our bathroom and kitchen drying out the leaks from above. 

I have to work in Glasgow and Edinburgh on Monday and Tuesday, so need to get rid by then. Other than rest, water and nutritious food, any advice? My doctor doesn't like handing out antibiotics, ever.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: I have a chest infection again
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:16:19 pm »
If it is a proper chest infection and not a cold/flu/bug, then you do need antibiotics. If your chest is full of yack, try doing some steam inhalations to help to loosen it so you can cough it up. Other than that, stay warm, drink lots of fluid, eat well and rest.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:16:57 pm »
My (almost) mother in law, who is also a biologist, recommends Echinacea for colds and flu.
I'm skeptical* but it it must be worth a shot.

* about most things.  :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:17:08 pm »
Rest.
Quality sleep.
TLC.

Get well soon.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:17:38 pm »
Well what does your GP expect to happen if you dont shift it?

Do you have to develop pneumonia and be hospitalized/nearly die before you are prescribed antibiotics?

Giving them out for colds is silly fair enough but a proper chest infection will make you feel like complete shit, you will become desperatley tired and in your run down state you will be prone to other infections as well

I think your doctor is being an arse, go to the local emergency clinic or drop in center and see someone else

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:19:12 pm »
I do have BUPA. I wonder if I should use it for the first time?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
If it doesn't get any better, you could always get a visitor's appointment in Edinburgh or Glasgow. You could give my address and use by GP - they're very good.

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:23:01 pm »
I do have BUPA. I wonder if I should use it for the first time?
If they have one of the private drop in clinics near by then I would go there now, you will be out again in ten minutes with a prescription

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:44:25 pm »
after the Surrey Hills ride last  Sunday

:(

*guilt*

Is there any way you can stay elsewhere until you are better as I am sure the air in the flat is not helping?

In my case it has now moved from being a flu / cold type thing to a sort of low grade chest infection. I feel pretty fine but have a bit of a cough. If it has not shifted by Monday I'll be off to my GP.

In your case, with your history of asthma and your current living conditions I'd be very surprised indeed if your GP would not consider antibiotics, under the circumstances, if it has not settled very soon. Consider getting another GP.

In any case I really do think, Peli, that it is totally unrealistic to expect to be able to do what you have planned on Monday without risking making things much worse. This is going to take a week +

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »
I thought Pluck was about to recommend a hilly 80 km bike ride.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »
Aye, and then you could make her ride home afterwards  ::-)

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:52:22 pm »
Let's see how I feel tomorrow. At the moment I feel terribly weak with a chilly, achey feeling on my chest  but am not hacking up too much muck yet. I've been lying wrapped up outside on the balcony for most of the day to avoid the dry air in the flat.

It's important that I'm better for Monday and Tuesday. Thanks, Kirst, for the offer of help.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:55:01 pm »
Avoiding the dry air sounds like a good idea.  Hopefully your body will sort itself out....

Aye, and then you could make her ride home afterwards  ::-)

« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:25:16 pm »
I am prone to chest infections, asthma etc. The lack of summer given the boost to health that one can normally expect. I have not used antibiotics much to combat chest infections and rely on inhalers and hot drinks which keep the chest warm. I also find going to bed with a hot water bottle or equivalent to hold against my chest to be very helpful as it seems to keep the constant coughing in check.

« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2008, 10:15:47 pm »
Hot drinks and water bottles - thanks Yoyo, will make sure I have those.

« Reply #15 on: 19 September, 2008, 10:26:58 pm »
Re hot water bottles; I have to confess I now use a microwavable teddy. It actually retains heat for a long period and is still quite warm in teh mornings.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #16 on: 19 September, 2008, 10:52:53 pm »
If you're coughing a lot in bed, try sleeping on more pillows so you're in a more upright position.

« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2008, 01:03:14 am »
I am not a doctor, but my nephew has cystic fibrosis.

Yes to calling BUPA.

Also, lie on your side and get Wooly to firmly bang you on the ribs for a few minutes to loosen the crap in your lungs (not a slap but a cupped hand).  Cough/hack it up.  Then do the other side, then back, then front.

My poor nephew used to have half an hour per position per night just to cope with his permanent illness.  It was tedious watching his parents banging away continuously.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 20 September, 2008, 08:07:18 am »
Ohhh, sorry to hear this.

If you need anyone to rub Vic in, than I'm your man. Busy today, but I'm free tomorrow!  :thumbsup:

I'll kick Sgt Pluck for you.  :)

**Update - I can't kick Sgt Pluck for you - they wouldn't let him on the train.  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #19 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:34:06 am »
All I can say is what a magnificent chest to have an infection in!   ;)

Rx: Plenty of fluids, rest and TLC from the Great Dane.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #20 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:51:11 am »
I'll kick Sgt Pluck for you.  :)

:P

Hope you got some sleep - get out into that lovely morning! I'll repeat my offer of a very gentle pootle down to the river???

« Reply #21 on: 20 September, 2008, 10:08:35 am »
Woolly's at work :( and I've been instructed not to faff or move from my bed. Just rest.

Not feeling up to going out. I slept very well, at least, and am not coughing much. It's just all sitting there on my chest and my throat hurts. Bummer.

I am trying to sleep as much as possible until Woolly gets home. 

« Reply #22 on: 20 September, 2008, 10:09:59 am »
It's just all sitting there on my chest

Nebuliser?

Have a restful one.

« Reply #23 on: 20 September, 2008, 10:20:03 am »
Thanks.I've not got a nebuliser; never got round to getting one.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2008, 01:37:07 pm »
I find that the progression is usually

a) a bit of a sniffle
b) a sore throat from said sniffle
c) descending to the chest.

From previous experience it is best to fight it all the way.
sudafed to kill the sniffle.
At the slightest hint of a sore throat, strepsils, ibuprofen and occasionally antihistamines
And then I don't end up with a coughy spluttery chest infection which knocks me down for two weeks.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes